Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Name game?
Should LRs have the brand name "LANDROVER" up front or the model name -such as "DISCOVERY"?
LANDROVER should be on the bonnet edge.
87%
 87%  [49]
Drop the brand name and have "Discovery", "Defender " or another model name on the bonnet edge.
12%
 12%  [7]
Total Votes: 56

Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Tradewind 35

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue
Name game?

I think LR have lost the plot with dropping the word "Landrover" from the front bonnet edge of the latest cars. Ok for the Range Rover which is a case apart but do we really want "Discovery" or "Defender" instead of the brand name? Presumably the sort of focus groups LR marketing folk seem enthralled by these days think the brand name is old fashioned and needs modernised.
What does the panel think?
Robin

Post #215278 30th Jan 2014 12:01 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
dunkley201

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I voted for the status quo. However, the OP should observe the correct (and only) name is LAND ROVER - ie. two words. Whistle 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

08 FL2 TD4 SE Manual in Rimini Red (Now Gone)

Post #215293 30th Jan 2014 10:52 am
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey
Re: Name game?

Tradewind 35 wrote:
I think LR have lost the plot with dropping the word "Landrover" from the front bonnet edge of the latest cars.

Not only that, unfortunately. Am I the only one who finds it sad that once the Defender is retired Land Rover won't be making a single model with a manual box and two-speed transfer case? And that with the removal of a low box as standard on the 2015 Discovery the cheapest vehicle with any kind of low box will cost around £50K. (Yes, I know about the 9-speed auto, but that's really not the same!) Land Rover really have abandoned their traditional markets completely now, and I think that's a pity. They could have catered for both old and new had they wanted to.

Post #215298 30th Jan 2014 11:12 am
wizking

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Indus Silver

Well said Pab.

Post #215305 30th Jan 2014 12:52 pm
Tradewind 35

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

dunkley201 wrote:
I voted for the status quo. However, the OP should observe the correct (and only) name is LAND ROVER - ie. two words. Whistle

Crikey thanks for that Dunkley201, I never noticed the gap between the words before. You must be the chap who always tells me to "mind the gap" when I am getting on a London Underground tube train. You have a nice speaking voice but you must work some long hours down there Rolling Eyes
Robin

Post #215311 30th Jan 2014 1:44 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
LR NUT

Scotland 2014 Freelander 2 TD4_e Dynamic Manual Fuji White

No manual models at all WTF??? Surely not, freelander sales are still nearly 50:50 regarding auto & manual boxes and my dealer have taken orders and sold many Evoques SD4's in a manual. If manuals were not popular they would have been dropped long ago. In Scotland manuals are still extremely popular! Seen a new defender at the dealers looked like a cheap and nasty oversized badge from eBay. I can understand the new branding but they should have at least slapped it on the replacement. Wonder how long it will be for a numpty at JLR to come up with a brilliant plan to make LRs selectable 4WD to save fuel as most of us never venture off road anyway!

MY14 Kahn Converted Dynamic - Fuji White Ebony/Pimento Interior
MY15 Xenon Headlight Conversion

MY17 RRS SVR - Estoril Blue Cirrus/Ebony 🪣💺’s

Post #215315 30th Jan 2014 3:04 pm
pab

It was manuals with low box I was referring to - there'll be none of those after the demise of the Defender.

But as I understand it there will be precious few manuals of any kind! Discovery, RRS and RR are already auto-only. Which only leaves FL2 and Evoque, and there the focus looks like it's going to be firmly on the 9-speed auto. Without a low range how can a manual with a reasonable number of gears compete?

LRs strategy is going to leave all those wanting a utility vehicle (farmers, utility companies, the military, rural police and rescue services, etc) without a LR option. Seems crazy.

Post #215317 30th Jan 2014 3:22 pm
LR NUT

Scotland 2014 Freelander 2 TD4_e Dynamic Manual Fuji White

Pheeew I assumed you were meaning all manuals! It is a bit worrying to know that the replacement will not have a manual box! My old man had a disco 3 HSE with a manual NCO. Really really really nice car to give mega responsive Thumbs Up gone are them days however Rolling Eyes MY14 Kahn Converted Dynamic - Fuji White Ebony/Pimento Interior
MY15 Xenon Headlight Conversion

MY17 RRS SVR - Estoril Blue Cirrus/Ebony 🪣💺’s

Post #215322 30th Jan 2014 4:09 pm
TonyJ

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Izmir Blue

I can see when the Defender is dropped there is going to be a big market for refurbished defenders, Remember there are never problems, just new challenges

Post #215434 31st Jan 2014 8:51 pm
pab

Definitely. Used Defender prices are sky high already, and I can't see them coming down any time soon. There's clearly still a strong demand for a utility vehicle - pity LR can't see it.

Post #215435 31st Jan 2014 9:12 pm
Mav71

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Personally I think that LR have to move on with the times. The new branding structure I think is very clever.

Land Rover after all is the main Manufacturer, who has three specific brands below the Land Rover name. Defender, Discovery and Range Rover.

We have to look at the bigger picture. The type of branding will work all over the world and puts an end to having the models called different things in different Countries.

At the end of the day, the more they sell world wide, the more profits are made and makes Land rover stronger for the future.

They have to keep up with change. They can't live in the past.

As for the subject of manuals and Automatics. The manual gearbox is here for a long long time. The likes of RR Vogue and RR Sport of course will remain Auto as there is not a market for manuals for this type of car.

But the Freelander replacement will have manual and auto for the whole of it's life, so will all the Evoque family and Defender family.

Also, who has said that the Defender will lose it's low range box. LR are not stupid enough to drop such a significant feature on it's multi purpose vehicles.

So Land Rover have not lost the plot at all. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #215472 1st Feb 2014 1:59 pm
Mav71

pab wrote:
Definitely. Used Defender prices are sky high already, and I can't see them coming down any time soon. There's clearly still a strong demand for a utility vehicle - pity LR can't see it.

They can. Just because LR cannot build them in Europe after 2017, it doesn't mean they can't continue to build them for the next 15/20 years plus in Asia Wink

Euro rules also state that a certain percentage of cars if built in Asia can be imported back in to Europe. They just can't be built here.

I think you'll see the Defender being sold here for many years to come! Thumbs Up Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #215473 1st Feb 2014 2:01 pm
pab

Mav71 wrote:
The new branding structure I think is very clever.

You seem to be in a minority on that one.
Quote:

But the Freelander replacement will have manual and auto for the whole of it's life, so will all the Evoque family and Defender family.

Maybe so, but without low range the manual is not going to look attractive against the 9-speed auto. Unless, that is, they can find a way of giving the manual an off-road low gear or two, plus a lower reverse, all in a box with a sensible number of gears. Which I doubt.
Quote:

Also, who has said that the Defender will lose it's low range.

Not me. If you actually read it I said the Discovery would lose it as standard. I.e. it will be an extra-cost option, as on the rrs. And if rrs pricing is anything to go by the extra cost is likely to be substantial. And since there is as yet no Defender replacement that can't figure in anything - as things stand right now, after 2015 there is no Defender - possibly for a year or two!

As for a foreign-built Defender, that's not what's required. What is required is a new, more modern Defender which embraces the design principles of the old one. Let's hope the dc100 fiasco taught LR enough about what the market really wants.

Post #215482 1st Feb 2014 5:21 pm
Mav71

I may be in the minority. But it will work well for LR.

Defender maybe out of production next year, but LR will stock pile the car until the replacement arrives. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #215490 1st Feb 2014 7:04 pm
rjc1944

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

They could do a Royal Enfield and continue production in India. Brand new Defenders in 2050 anyone? Ours - 2008 Stornoway Grey HSE Auto
Tricia's - 2006 Royal Blue Beetle Cabriolet Auto
Mine - 2014 Vespa GTS 300 Super Sport Matt Black
Ours - 2007 White Bailey Pageant Champagne

Post #215497 1st Feb 2014 8:36 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1