Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Keeping battery charged at airport carparks
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
SamYPKP

2011 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Fuji White
Keeping battery charged at airport carparks

Some excellent threads in this forum with advice on storing cars for long periods, accessing the car after when its gone into deep sleep and lots of details on battery charging.

I'm going away for two weeks and plan to leave the car at the airport car park. The last time I did this the car started and was fine on my return, but as its now almost three years old I'm a little worried about returning with two tired toddlers and luggage to a flat battery.

I hope the most likely situation will be I return to the car and it starts just fine.

Failing that, can someone confirm that if I double press so deadlock the car, and it goes into deep sleep I should still be able to gain entrance and start by using the key on the passenger side door?

Worst case scenario if the battery is flat is I'll have to find a friendly passer by to jumpstart or make a call to the AA.

I'm also thinking about getting one of those solar panel chargers that you plug into a always on lighter socket (I think on MY11, the middle and boot are always on). Any one have any experiences with those?

Post #214505 22nd Jan 2014 2:42 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

i have left my older car at carparks for two weeks and had no issue,

if you have to access the door lock, then make sure its accessible when you first park, but if it is a sleep, then opening the car, via the door and inserting the fob in the slot will allow you to start the car. (i don't think you will have to do this though)

not had any experience with the solar panals so can't help

Post #214507 22nd Jan 2014 3:01 pm
tenet

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey

Are these any good http://www.shop.express.co.uk/i-cc-d5131/a...r-starter/

It would appear that you just plug it into the cigarette lighter, wait 15mins and bingo. MY 09 GS manual in Lago Grey, Wood Co arm rest and side bumper strips - now sold.

MY 15 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey with colour coded Bumper Door Mouldings

Post #214515 22nd Jan 2014 3:15 pm
shiggsy

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Baltic Blue

Vehicle goes to 'deep sleep', or shutdown, for both single and double locking, for single (or unlocked) it takes 35 minutes, for double it takes 12 minutes. 
Hung like Einstein, smart as a horse.

Post #214586 22nd Jan 2014 10:18 pm
Mav71

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Mine has been left for weeks at a time in the past, and she was over 6 years old. If your battery is in good condition, you will have no problems. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #214588 22nd Jan 2014 10:21 pm
SamYPKP

2011 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Fuji White

Thanks all.

@shiggsy: I believe the FL2 goes into a deeper sleep state if left for a longer period.

The longish drive to the airport should ensure the battery is charged before parking up and hopefully keep the remote unlock electrics alive for more than two weeks.

Other threads on this forum suggest this deeper sleep may be triggered by the voltage dropping below a certain threshold and is reported to happen as little as 4 weeks after being left alone. When this happens, I believe all the electrics including keyfob unlocking are shutdown, so the only way to gain entry is to use the emergency key to unlock the passenger door, which will trigger the alarm until you put the keyfob in the dock. I think this is a good idea in theory because the hassle of using the physical emergency key is better imo than running the battery completely flat and not being able to start the engine.

One of my questions was whether double pressing the lock button on the keyfob, which deadlocks (so you cant even open the doors with the handles on the inside) would also prevent the emergency key opening the passenger door - which http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic6254.html suggests might be the case.

Actually ignore that question - on closer inspection the thread suggests you can use the key to open the door even when deadlocked.

Post #214753 24th Jan 2014 6:03 pm
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

Double-locking does not prevent the use of the emergency key.

I would suggest that you test the emergency lock before travelling and lubricate it if necessary, as it can get very stiff through lack of use. You don't want to find it won't turn when you need it! A good squirt of GT85 or similar won't do any harm.

That said, I'd be surprised if you need it after just two weeks - if you do your battery might be on the way out.

Post #214756 24th Jan 2014 6:11 pm
Winslet

United Kingdom 

Ditto Pab's comment about lubricating the emergency lock regularly... been there, not done that and ended up on a long train journey home to get a spare key (having locked the first one in the boot). Lock man couldn't turn the lock with his clever tool due to seizing. You never know when you might need it. 2016 BMW X3 30d SE in red
MY2013 SD4 XS Firenze Red, 19" 10 spoke contrast paint wheels, Signature Strips, Grand Black Lacquer trim, Cold Climate Pack - gone!
2007 TD4 S Stornoway Grey - gone!

Post #214771 24th Jan 2014 8:57 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1