Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Newbie with questions :)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Me

Newbie with questions :)

Hi all,

New here so thought I would say hi and ask some questions/advice if that's ok?

Looking to buy a Freelander 2 and would like some advice on what to look for. I don't do huge mileage, up to 6000 per year. I have about £13000 to spend and would appreciate your help with model to go for? Anything to avoid?

Many thanks.

PS Never had a 4x4 before, usually BMW saloons.

Post #207117 14th Nov 2013 12:30 pm
rjc1944

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Go for a top-spec HSE diesel with automatic transmission. Oh look, there's one here........................ Ours - 2008 Stornoway Grey HSE Auto
Tricia's - 2006 Royal Blue Beetle Cabriolet Auto
Mine - 2014 Vespa GTS 300 Super Sport Matt Black
Ours - 2007 White Bailey Pageant Champagne

Post #207136 14th Nov 2013 2:37 pm
Me

Where?! Smile

Post #207140 14th Nov 2013 3:01 pm
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

At your price point I'd say mileage, age and condition are more important than specification level. Look for the newest car with the lowest mileage and the best condition which meets your requirements and don't worry if it's not an HSE. The XS has an excellent spec, and the GS is pretty good too. Early S models don't have the terrain response system (although they're still very capable on and off road) so that's something to look out for if that concerns you.

To get a feel for what's around and what prices are like try to visit a LR dealer and browse their stock - even if you plan to buy privately it'll give you an idea of the differences between spec levels, etc.

There are a few threads on here asking similar questions so have a browse and you'll find lots of useful information concerning what to look for, what to look out for on the test drive, etc.

Post #207151 14th Nov 2013 4:14 pm
SakoQuad

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

Everyone will have a different point of view I guess and on the day it might just be a matter of what comes up at the right price.

I bought my Freelander earlier this year (my first auto, 4x4, diesel car having also owned BMW in the past) and I narrowed my preferences to XS as the lowest spec (it had GPS and other nice touches like darkened rear windows, though I now think the LR GPS is a tad flaky!).

I wanted a caravan tug so auto box was the clear favourite.

I wanted a car after 2008 as I personally wasn't confident about earlier models having read much about the FL1 and earliest FL2's having pretty expensive and regular problems (there are plenty of folk who own these cars who will say they have never had a problem which is excellent but the "problem pages" tell a story I couldn't ignore).

I also wanted a car that had been serviced regularly, had a tow bar fitted if possible and with as low a mileage as I could find / afford.

Eventually I found the car that fitted and bought it (though I had to find another £500 than I had originally planned).

One thing I would say to anyone buying a LR is DON'T believe the MPG figures they put out, they are as accurate and as real as Father Xmas and the Easter Bunny. Some people here get amazing MPG but there are many like me who have to concentrate to get 32mpg and if you do a lot of short runs it will be in the 20's.

Good luck in your search and hope you find a good 'un.

Post #207153 14th Nov 2013 4:34 pm
j77

Scotland 

Me wrote:
Where?! Smile

I think he means his own Very Happy

I always went for the GS model, it had all the basics as standard, powerfold mirrors, auto lights/wipers, front fogs, cruise control, terrain response, Bluetooth phone integration (09MY onwards I think)etc.

I find the LR approved used website is pretty good at showing what's out there.

The Fl2 has been around long enough now for you to get a good spec for your budget Thumbs Up 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #207158 14th Nov 2013 5:30 pm
Me

Thanks for all the replies Thumbs Up

I guess I need to work out what extras I require and ones I could do without.

Cruise control
Electric folding mirrors
Phone prep

All these are important.

Leather and sat nav I could do without really.

What about auto vs manual - any advice either way? Also as I would be doing low mileage what about dpf problems?

Again thanks for all your advice Smile

Post #207161 14th Nov 2013 6:05 pm
Terrible1

England 2011 Freelander 2 eD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

I've recently bought a freelander and really wanted an xs or higher spec.
After looking for one in my price range and finding only high mileage ones I noticed I could get a good low mileage GS for the right money.
I have since retro fitted a sat nav, bought some mirror covers and booked her in for a full leather retrim.
With all this added to the price I paid for the car it still came in around £1000 less than an XS.
I'm just saying do it right find a good well looked after car and you can always upgrade the spec afterwards and save a few pennies.
Good luck with your search.

Post #207162 14th Nov 2013 6:16 pm
j77

Scotland 

DPF standard on 11MY cars onwards, others it was an option.
I do short journeys/low mileage and never had a problem, I do take it for a long drive every now and then just to help keeps its tubes clean Laughing

Manual vs Auto - I like both, I've had both. If you backed me into a corner about it I would say auto, but it's really personal preference. 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #207164 14th Nov 2013 6:23 pm
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

Me wrote:
Cruise control
Electric folding mirrors
Phone prep

You'll get the first two on pretty much any spec. I'm not sure about the phone - the XS certainly has it, but I don't know about the GS. Someone will be along in a moment...

Quote:
What about auto vs manual - any advice either way?

There are some rabid auto-nazis on the forum, so look out for them! All I'd say is that you'll get about 5mpg more from a manual, and the manual is a nice enough box. After that it's all down to personal preference. If you do go for a manual check for clutch slip in the higher gears - some earlier cars suffer from this.

Post #207168 14th Nov 2013 6:36 pm
j77

Scotland 

Phone on GS from 2009 onwards, my 2008 didn't have it. 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #207173 14th Nov 2013 6:56 pm
Natwest

United Kingdom 

SE spec also available up to 2009MY. These are almost the same spec as HSE, may be worth seeking one of them too?

Comes with all the features required plus panoramic roof and nav

Post #207235 15th Nov 2013 7:50 am
Greybeard

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

I have a 2008 GS retro fitted with a Parrot phone system. Works perfectly. The car has not given me any real issues since I bought it in 2010 at 38k miles. Now done 65k. Good luck.

Post #207274 15th Nov 2013 11:56 am
5string

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Zermatt Silver

Having never owned a 4x4 previously, we just bought a manual 2010 model within your budget, high mileage admittedly, 72k - was a fleet car, mainly m'way miles, hence lower price - but we're not too bothered by that because we do low mileage so it'll average out over time.

It's a GS and it has cruise control, elec fold mirrors and phone prep. Also has rain sensing wipers, headlamp washers, steering wheel controls and terrain response system (including hill descent control).

Because it's a later model it has the _e engine: stop-start technology plus a couple of other eco bits like gear change advisory light. Economy is roughly 37mpg according to trip computer but we've not had it long enough for an accurate figure over time.

It's great, we love it. Cruises nicely on m'ways, handles rougher stuff brilliantly - Perthshire countryside can be muddy/leafy at this time of year - smooth over potholes, "like driving our sofa" says Mrs 5string!

We always prefer manuals, though I'm sure autos would also suit an engine this size.

Hope you find what you're looking for!

Thumbs Up Freelander 2 Td4_e GS, silver, 2010
(+ Fiesta 1.4 Zetec Climate 3dr, blue, 2007)

Post #207322 15th Nov 2013 6:02 pm
lucan400

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Zermatt Silver

You might wish you'd opted for the electric folding mirrors after you've clattered em in in tight spot.. Embarassed Dammed expensive to replace. Big Cry lucan400

Post #207669 18th Nov 2013 12:16 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1