« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Fuel additives
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
robbyvrs

England 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 Dynamic Manual Fuji White
Fuel additives

Just wondering if anyone adds fuel additives and if you do does it make any noticeable difference?
I've seen Millers claims of quieter running, cleans injectors, improves mpg + power, etc and was wondering if it was worth adding?
There's also STP, Winns, Forte, etc so maybe owners use either of these?

Post #204713 26th Oct 2013 11:18 pm
taztastic

England 

Try "fuel additives' in the search bar, the reading will keep you busy, a whole can of worms ...

Post #204716 26th Oct 2013 11:23 pm
SakoQuad

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

as the man says.
There are a few who use 2 stroke oil 300mls per tankful and there is a view amongst them that this does the same / better job than other additives. There is a very long thread on 2SO as an additive. It is also a popular discussion on car forums other than LR.

Post #204719 27th Oct 2013 12:21 am
Boroboy

United Kingdom 
Re: Fuel additives

Robbyvrs,
The only fuel additive I have used on my FL2, is Wynns turbo/egr cleaner. Use it on a once yearly basis.
Not gone the 2so route. Landy has now gone.

Post #204720 27th Oct 2013 12:38 am
ZT man

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Baltic Blue
Re: Fuel additives

robbyvrs wrote:
Just wondering if anyone adds fuel additives and if you do does it make any noticeable difference?
I've seen Millers claims of quieter running, cleans injectors, improves mpg + power, etc and was wondering if it was worth adding?
There's also STP, Winns, Forte, etc so maybe owners use either of these?

I have used millers diesel sport and found it very good it contains more cetane which makes diesel fuel more combustible which means
1 better flame burn in combustion chamber so less diesel knock (especially on a cold engine) less black smoke due to cleaner burn and a little more power
2 smoother engine under load when coming on boost
3 Opinion makes for a smoother running nicer car to drive it does do what it says on the tin
4 Ratio 1ML=1ltr fuel 25ltr fuel =25ML Shot of millers

It's like running on Shell V Power diesel

Post #204722 27th Oct 2013 2:18 am
BarryKey

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

I've used Miller's Diesel sport too and think it makes a difference to smoothness of running and quietness. I am not sure about extra mpg as this depends on usage too much. I only use branded diesel with it so can't comment on effect with supermarket diesel. I keep a bottle in with the spare in case I need it but currently running V Power or BP Ultimate which I think is better still. Could be my imagination though. 12MY 61plate FL2 TD4 auto GS Orkney Grey Roof spoiler full size spare

Gone 07 Dodge Caliber 1.8 black
51 Nissan Primera
K Isuzu Trooper 3.1 SWB Citation

Post #205055 29th Oct 2013 6:02 pm
robbyvrs

England 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 Dynamic Manual Fuji White

Just added 150ml of 2so to just over 1/2 a tank of fuel - i'll see how this goes Thumbs Up

Post #205082 29th Oct 2013 8:17 pm
kimosabe

2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

Since finding out about and experimenting with 2SO, I regularly use it as an additive. You'll notice the 2SO product recall at many filling stations and motor factors; that is to say that if you haven't clocked it already, you will from now on. One conspiracy theory suggests that a certain brand of 2SO has been recalled due to the popularity of it now being used as a diesel additive and that the same product will at some point appear as a diesel additive and as 2SO simultaneously. Who knows?

As for my findings after about a year of using it and not using it, I have found that no damage has been done to my car and that any possible placebo effect has been negated by the real differences which I notice when I reuse it after not using it for some time.

How do I know that no damage has been done to my car? I had to take the car to my local JLR dealership to have something investigated and sorted out. It was an issue which was present before I bought the car and which has since been fixed after four visits by LR techs under warranty. In order to find and fix the issue, it was necessary for them to remove, strip and replace various components and after each visit, the tech mentioned that the inner workings of my engine were becoming cleaner. Now please don't ask me for any more info than that because I wouldn't be able to explain it to you. What I can say is that every part which came into contact with diesel that was investigated over the course of several months became cleaner over the period I have owned the car, to the point that the tech became confused as to how it was happening. He asked if I was using a fuel additive and if so, which one and also commented that he had never seen anything quite like it. Make of that what you will but it confirmed to me that using 2SO has had a marked effect.

You will find many hundreds of 2SO threads on as many driving and car forums as you can think of, so it's upto you to decide if it's something you want to do. If you're in any doubt, why not consider using a higher than standard spec diesel when filling up as they have detergents etc already added. I use V+Nitro (99 RON) petrol in my other car and on long journeys of sustained speeds, my car averages an extra 50 plus miles per tank, depending on how I have driven it. If I take it easy and feather the stop and go pedals while optimising my gear changes, I can gain around 100 miles extra per tank! It's not recommended for short stop-start traffic but on long journeys, it works well for me and I would expect the same would be true for the high spec diesel too. Whereabouts unknown stop going to follow stream until reach civilisation stop message ends

Post #205440 1st Nov 2013 5:38 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1