« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Software upgrade
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
tomrabbit

Scotland 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Izmir Blue
Software upgrade

Is this an unreasonable ask of a main dealer? My 57 plate FL2 is due a service in a couple of weeks. It has an intermittent non starting issue. When this happens (only about once every couple of months and it seems linked to being hasty between inserting key and pressing button), I remove the key, start again, and all works, but the trip computer, MPG etc are all reset to 0.
On googling, I learnt this was a known problem and would be resolved by a software upgrade. So I asked main dealer to upgrade software during service. What was the problem they enquired. I explained. No, they couldn't just upgrade the software. They would need to run a diagnostic check, and charge me an extra hour's labour for the privilege. Since this only happens once in a blue moon, and is easily rectified, I declined. But what is the issue here? I would have thought that any software upgrades should be applied (or at least offered) as standard when having a service at a main dealer? Is upgrading the software a big deal? Can this only be done at a main dealer, or can I take my car elsewhere for this?
Unfortunately I tied myself in to a 3 year service contract when I bought the car, so can't just jump ship at this point, but I have a trusted local garage that I will use for any maintenance outside of the service.
I have another issue, in that when I get out of the car these days, all the other doors remain locked. I'm sure they used to unlock when the driver door was opened... Was hoping this might also be a software bug, before I spend money on a diagnostic. But again, though it's inconvenient, it's workable - I just press the unlock button before I get out.
Can't help feeling life was simpler when a key was a key and the driver drove...

Post #205036 29th Oct 2013 1:45 pm
ad210358

England 

With the door lock, when you unlock do all the doors unlock with one press or do you have to press twice for all the doors to open?
If you have programmed one or all doors to open with a single press, it could be that this is also the case after the drive away locking has activated, the Fob is programmed to unlock the drivers door only, hence only unlocking the drivers door on exit, both Fobs can be programmed independently.

Single/Multi-point entry
When you press the unlock button your vehicle
will unlock in one of two ways:
1. Unlock the driver's door, fuel filler flap, and
tailgate only. A second press is required to
unlock the remaining doors.
2. Unlock all doors, fuel filler flap, and the
tailgate.
This security feature unlocks only the driver’s
door and tailgate. It can be disabled on
individual remote controls by unlocking the
vehicle then simultaneously pressing and
holding the lock and unlock buttons for three
seconds. The vehicle will lock and then unlock
in the currently selected mode and the hazard
warning lights will flash twice to confirm the
change. You can now unlock all doors with a
single press. Repeating the procedure will
re-enable Single point ent p****d off with a Digital Keyboard Warrior

Post #205039 29th Oct 2013 2:08 pm
wizking

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Indus Silver

I had the software upgrade on my previous car. Took it to main dealers, told them it was resetting the trip mileage and sometimes kicking out the fob and they told me it was a software upgrade needed. They looked at a symptom sheet, picked the one relating to the fault and told me it was a charge of half hour labour. Think you should ask to speak to the service manager.

Post #205043 29th Oct 2013 4:03 pm
Bifterx

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Sumatra Black

is it possible to check the software versions from the vehicle? you can do on a D3, you can enable a hidden button which then shows diagnostic info and version numbers etc?

Post #205050 29th Oct 2013 5:25 pm
seagull1

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Sumatra Black

The up date is LTB00093 if you serch LTB00093 there is a topic about the "fault", I had mine done during it's service and was told there would be a charge but after sugesting that I expected to have to pay as they would have it connected to the computer anyway for the service they did not charge me.
And I have not had the problem since the update.

Richard FL2 07 TD4 GS Auto
Ex 02 TD4 Auto

Post #205072 29th Oct 2013 7:52 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Aero_383

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Ipanema Sand

While mine was in manufacturers warranty all software updates were free. Now I am on extended warranty I would have to pay. F Censored g ridiculous. _________________
Gone - 2010 Rimini XS

Post #205076 29th Oct 2013 8:00 pm
alex_pescaru

Isn't anybody near you to help you do this software update?
Aren't any passionate Freelander (or any LR) owners that have a diagnostic interface and SDD to help you do the update?

Maybe a topic like "Diagnostic equipment owners willing to help" could be useful?....
And there will be posted names, contact information and any useful info?
What do you think?

Post #205079 29th Oct 2013 8:08 pm
tomrabbit

Scotland 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Izmir Blue

Thanks guys. Yes, LTB00093 does sound like the right upgrade, so I will try to get it done as part of the service. What I really don't get is that surely LR should be notifying you if there is a necessary upgrade to the car's software? Why wait until it becomes an issue? OK, maybe there is a small charge involved (although if it's their error, and it's being done as part of a dealer service, I'm not sure why), but why the secrecy? Microsoft issues patches left right and centre for Windows bugs. If there are other upgrades I should be having, I would really like to be offered all at the same time rather than get them piecemeal as things go wrong.
re the Fob reset - thanks for that. Yes, my fobs are both set to unlock only the driver door on first click, but I'm sure the car used to unlock all doors on exit. It still does from the passenger side. It's just a pain when you want to retrieve stuff from the back or the boot. Anyway, I'll give it a try resetting one of them.

Post #205129 30th Oct 2013 1:11 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1