« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Why?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Mav71

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey
Why?

This is just an observation. But I see many people going to extreme lengths to get parts, when it is clear they have not even tried their local dealer.

Land Rover parts are some of the cheapest around for genuine parts in comparison to the likes of other manufacturers. Eg Audi, BMW etc.

I am the only one who tries LR for parts? Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #204346 23rd Oct 2013 6:41 pm
robbyvrs

England 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 Dynamic Manual Fuji White

It's the same with ebay - lots of people buy off there thinking they got a good deal after outbidding others when a lot of the time they could have got the item cheaper brand new Surprised

Post #204348 23rd Oct 2013 6:57 pm
alex_pescaru

Because the parts at our dealers, at least in Romania, are at least twice the price you found them on the specialty stores.
I know this because, on the last service in warranty, I've noted down the dealer's parts' prices.
At the next service, after warranty ended, I've went to the stores and for EXACTLY THE SAME part numbers and manufactures the prices were at least half the ones sold by the dealer. Shocked Shocked
So, do the math....
And I am convinced this is not an isolated thing...

Post #204354 23rd Oct 2013 8:34 pm
Slaneydore

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Always look at LR parts before I look anywhere else, but always found them cheaper elsewhere Whistle BETTER looking half of the famous Twinlanders
The wanna be other half - http://www.freel2.com/forum/member-carriec.html

Post #204359 23rd Oct 2013 8:50 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mikehzz

Australia 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Lago Grey

They are only cheap in the UK, poison everywhere else.

Post #204368 23rd Oct 2013 9:49 pm
Mav71

alex_pescaru wrote:
Because the parts at our dealers, at least in Romania, are at least twice the price you found them on the specialty stores.
I know this because, on the last service in warranty, I've noted down the dealer's parts' prices.
At the next service, after warranty ended, I've went to the stores and for EXACTLY THE SAME part numbers and manufactures the prices were at least half the ones sold by the dealer. Shocked Shocked
So, do the math....
And I am convinced this is not an isolated thing...

That's a fair point Alex. I was thinking more about the UK though. I appreciate that other Countries will be a different story. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #204398 24th Oct 2013 8:39 am
Mav71

Slaneydore wrote:
Always look at LR parts before I look anywhere else, but always found them cheaper elsewhere Whistle

I disagree, take the piano black dash parts. All three dash parts from LR comes to about £35.00, and I have seen people paying more from third party suppliers who get them from LR in the first place and end up paying more.

I have found that 90% of LR dealers are prepared to offer a fixed discount for parts. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #204399 24th Oct 2013 8:41 am
Paul.W

I think it depends on several factors which can be different for each individual some of which for example being

Knowledge of the car and how it works
Skill sets and tools to do the job along with procedures many of which are difficult if not impossible to attempt outside of a fully equipped garage
Knowledge of the spares marketplace (many components used on a Freelander are common with other manufacturers vehicles)
Finance constraints
Time

A good example of this is the recent job I did on the brakes and wheels. I was not happy with the ride that the existing 19" shadow chrome wheels and contis gave so decided to change to 18" wheels. After a bit of research I found a company which dismantled delivery damaged LRs. The result of this was that I managed to obtain a set of LR 18" sparkle silver alloys with Scorpion Zero tyres which had only done around 10 delivery miles plus a complete set of genuine LR brake discs, pads and shoes for a total of £740 which I thought was an absolute bargain plus a much improved ride.

Post #204409 24th Oct 2013 10:04 am
LR NUT

Scotland 2014 Freelander 2 TD4_e Dynamic Manual Fuji White

I have found that 90% of LR dealers are prepared to offer a fixed discount for parts.[/quote]
Land Rover dealers have approx 25% profit margins for parts so your always best to shop around. I was getting quoted £40 odd for a Freelander 1 on dash fog light button. Got it from one dealer for a mere £8.00 including VAT Razz! One thing you have to remember is people buying aftermarket cheaper parts is that they don't last as long as the genuine ones! The amount of folk coming in for exhaust back boxes within 16 months is unbelievable Rolling Eyes brake pads are another item which wear quicker! If you can afford to and are keeping the car for at least another 2 years I would always stay with genuine stuff Thumbs Up MY14 Kahn Converted Dynamic - Fuji White Ebony/Pimento Interior
MY15 Xenon Headlight Conversion

MY17 RRS SVR - Estoril Blue Cirrus/Ebony 🪣💺’s

Post #204414 24th Oct 2013 10:26 am
j77

Scotland 

Nothing goes on my car that hasn't come from LR, I buy from either my dealer - who are quite good when discounting - or from Dan @ Duckworths. Thumbs Up

EDIT- I tell a lie, my LED interior lights came from eBay. 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #204439 24th Oct 2013 2:19 pm
Mav71

Paul.W wrote:
I think it depends on several factors which can be different for each individual some of which for example being

Knowledge of the car and how it works
Skill sets and tools to do the job along with procedures many of which are difficult if not impossible to attempt outside of a fully equipped garage
Knowledge of the spares marketplace (many components used on a Freelander are common with other manufacturers vehicles)
Finance constraints
Time

A good example of this is the recent job I did on the brakes and wheels. I was not happy with the ride that the existing 19" shadow chrome wheels and contis gave so decided to change to 18" wheels. After a bit of research I found a company which dismantled delivery damaged LRs. The result of this was that I managed to obtain a set of LR 18" sparkle silver alloys with Scorpion Zero tyres which had only done around 10 delivery miles plus a complete set of genuine LR brake discs, pads and shoes for a total of £740 which I thought was an absolute bargain plus a much improved ride.

There is no real difference in ride quality between 18" and 19" wheels. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #204448 24th Oct 2013 5:01 pm
Paul.W

There may not be on yours but it has made a significant difference to mine. It may be that there could be further issues with the suspension and or the the old tyres which I will eventually get round to but for now it is much better A pity really as for me personally the shadow chromes along with the HST kit had some influence in me obtaining the car. Next major job I think will be to replace the clutch as it is quite high.

Post #204468 24th Oct 2013 8:20 pm
Mav71

It could be a few things Paul. I haven't noticed any difference going to 20's either.

Worn tyres and uneven pressure can make a car feel horrible. The more worn a tyre gets, the harder it gets. So this would not help either. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #204490 24th Oct 2013 9:49 pm
Paul.W

That is the strange part.
Tyre pressures were fine and the minimum tread depth was 5.8mm. One thing I did not like was that there was Conti contacts on one axle and Conti cross contacts on the other. I must say that my first venture into the Landrover brand has been an interesting one up to now however I will get it sorted as I do like the car. After your comments on the thread regarding the front heating vents, I dug out my old one to have a closer look. Am I correct in assuming that when you say that you can get two parts that you are talking about the main housing and the control element that snaps into the main housing via four plastic snap lugs. I do have a well equipped workshop with lathe, miller and grinder so I may have a go at making a slider control and fork out of aluminium if I get a bit of spare time. I have been retired nearly 2 years now but seem to have more jobs to do and less time than when I was getting paid for it. The big consolation though is not having to drive 30,000 plus miles year on year.

Post #204496 24th Oct 2013 10:22 pm
Slaneydore

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I compleatly agree Mav
But I do find quite a few original LR parts are cheaper elsewhere on the market.. I found things like replacement door handles and mirror covers are almost 30% cheaper elsewhere than LR dealers...
Like I state above I always get quotes from LR before I decide where to buy, granted a few things i get quoted surprise me with the low prices, but on the other hand a few things shock me with the prices they come up with Shocked BETTER looking half of the famous Twinlanders
The wanna be other half - http://www.freel2.com/forum/member-carriec.html

Post #204511 25th Oct 2013 7:12 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>