Home > General > Viewing a Used Land Rover Freelander TD4 XS
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
warrell

United Kingdom 
Viewing a Used Land Rover Freelander TD4 XS

Hi Everyone!

First post on the forum so I hope I'm in the right place, I will be viewing my first Land Rover Freelander tomorrow with a view to chop in the misses Censored Vauxhall Corsa Censored and get something which will handle the inevitable winter this year will bring.

I have previously owned a 92 Toyota Hilux & 08 Ford Ranger so this wont be my first 4x4 but I wanted to ask you all for your professional opinion firstly at the vehicle I'm viewing: http://www.slmtoyota.co.uk/used-cars/LAND%...XS/GJ57OEE I think the price seems about right, anything I should be looking for from the year? Common faults, Rust spots, areas of wear etc?

Also what should I expect from an XS level model? Will there be any mod con I'm going to hate not having?

Thanks for you help look forward to joining the club!

Post #203447 17th Oct 2013 11:11 am
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

The car looks good. Things to look out for are any slipping from the clutch (test by accelerating hard from 1800 rpm in 5th or 6th gear) and any noise from the area of the rear diff (as bearings can fail). Some early cars also had problems with steering racks due to a manufacturing fault, so look out for any unevenness or heaviness in the steering - it should be light and accurate. Generally the FL2 is reliable.

As for spec, for me the XS is the best one to have, as it has all the essentials without wasting money on things I'm not bothered about. Main things it 'lacks' are a sunroof and heated seats. Also it has part-leather upholstery rather than full leather, and a slightly lower spec sound system than the HSE (same basic system but fewer speakers and single-CD rather than a 6-CD changer, but who uses CDs these days!).

Edit: Forgot - a 57 XS won't have the factory satnav as standard, but it doesn't seem to be a particularly highly regarded unit anyway. Many owners have fitted a TomTom or Garmin unit in the space in the dash and are happy wiith that.

Last edited by pab on 17th Oct 2013 11:31 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #203450 17th Oct 2013 11:29 am
Duncp

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Lago Grey

Hello and welcome along. I don't know what is included on the XS spec. It does look tidy though. I'm sure someone will be along shortly who has more experience.

Post #203451 17th Oct 2013 11:29 am
EYorkshire

Check that it unlocks/locks with the fob and dash buttons paying attention to the rear door as water ingress upsets the locking mechanism.
Look for signs of water inside rear hatch door caused by leaking third brake light.
Look for passenger carpet wetness caused by air con drain pipe dislodged.
Make sure you have two fobs and check they both work, remember to swap use every few months to keep charged.
Check front seat belts are not frayed on edges and cut into the 'B' pillar, there is/was a modification available for this.
On a startup, after a few seconds check no warning lights are illuminated on the dash.
Make sure you have the wheel locking nut socket handed over to you.
All wheel arch trims (push on metal reinforced rubber trim strip) tend to expand and look grubby after a few years, cheap enough to replace but feel under the arch and get dealer to do if needed.

FL2's seem to be excellent bodywise with rust not a reported problem on here.

Looks nice, hope the viewing goes well Thumbs Up

Post #203454 17th Oct 2013 11:48 am
freedieselauto

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Rimini Red

I have a 57 XS (auto) with about the same mileage.

It does not have a satnav but I easily fitted a Garmin 1410 with hidden wiring which looks as though it was factory fitted. I have not missed any other features of higher spec' models although memory seats would be nice. It should have the automatic climate control which works well.

Listen for whining steering pump and check if steering heavy at low speed as may require a new rack as early models had swarf in the rack causing them to block the reservoir filter and fail. At this age it may have manifested itself and been replaced already so you may get a "sorted" car.

Check the rear hatch lock as the switches fail but only £25 job to replace.

Others have already mentioned differential, clutch, wheel arch trims.

I have had mine for two and a half years and still thoroughly enjoy it. - 2007(57) XS Auto, Rimini Red, Alpaca Leather.
- GCS Hawke - Sports, BRG, Vulcan 2.1 inj'. My toy - built it myself in 2001.

Post #203458 17th Oct 2013 12:20 pm
shilen

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Bali Blue

Just a trivial matter but the colour isnt Bali Blue as advertised but Baltic Blue. Might be useful to know if you ever need to get a touch up pen Thumbs Up

Make sure the spare wheel is in the boot, it will more than likely be a space saver but you can pick up an alloy spare for peanuts on feebay - worth the investment.

And the first thing to do if you go for it is to change the orange side indicator lenses for clear with orange bulbs, a five minute mod but makes a massive improvement! Now - 2017 BMW X3 M Sport Carbon Black
Gone - 2014 BMW X3 M Sport Space Grey, faultless!
Gone - 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Bali Blue with xenons
Gone - 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Rimini Red with bodykit

Post #203459 17th Oct 2013 12:20 pm
robbyvrs

England 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 Dynamic Manual Fuji White

Hi
I picked up a 2009 58 plate last weekend with the same mileage (GS model) and paid £12k so your looks cheap enough - not keen on the colour but if you like it fair enough.
I think the GS has the same spec except for different style of wheels and doesn't have the 1/2 leather which i prefer cloth to.
I've done less than 100 miles in mine as i've spent the week polishing/ fitting bits to it this week while on holiday but i'm glad i bought 1 Thumbs Up

Just be wary of this site - gets expensive reading what others have done to theirs as you'll want todo the same - later bumpers, spoiler, lights, etc, etc Laughing

Post #203469 17th Oct 2013 1:57 pm
warrell

United Kingdom 

Absolutely gutted!! Just had a call from the garage to say it has been sold! Now on the look out for another in the South East if anyone spots anything please let me know!!

Post #203472 17th Oct 2013 2:10 pm
wdw

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Loire Blue

Have you tried the Land Rover used vehicle search?

http://www.usedvehicles.landrover.co.uk/

Post #203521 17th Oct 2013 7:32 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1