« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Tailgate
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
FreeLander88

Sweden 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Tambora Flame
Tailgate

Have problems with my tailgate it is totally locked.. Cant open it with the tailgate switch or the key fob.
What to do???? Is their a way to emergency open it????

Post #202901 13th Oct 2013 4:10 pm
ad210358

England 

Can you still open the Fuel Flap, it may be a blown fuse Question p****d off with a Digital Keyboard Warrior

Post #202911 13th Oct 2013 4:39 pm
FreeLander88

No... The fuse is not blown...

Post #202914 13th Oct 2013 4:41 pm
FreeLander88

The fuel flap open as it should

Post #202915 13th Oct 2013 4:42 pm
ad210358

England 

They share the same fuse.

Think its F25 p****d off with a Digital Keyboard Warrior

Post #202918 13th Oct 2013 4:58 pm
dunkley201

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Looks like the latch has failed. You will need to dismantle from the inside to open the tailgate by removing the "staple" on the threshold plate. Do a search on here, I replaced mine in May/June time. Will take a good couple of hours with a wide variety of tools! (Small sockets, torx bits, etc, etc) 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

08 FL2 TD4 SE Manual in Rimini Red (Now Gone)

Post #202922 13th Oct 2013 5:08 pm
FreeLander88

Thanks..... I now..... But thats not the problem... I have the plastic thing away from the tailgate and i have a nee tailgate switch that i just plugged in insteed of the old one. But it still happend nothing... The dammed tailgate is still locked....
I just wondering if their is a microswitch inside the latch that is telling the centrallocking that the tailgate is open.....

Post #202923 13th Oct 2013 5:09 pm
FreeLander88

Sorry for my bad english.....

Post #202924 13th Oct 2013 5:09 pm
FreeLander88

It is 3 wires in the latch... Witch of them is the microswitch.... If their is any switch????

Post #202925 13th Oct 2013 5:11 pm
dunkley201

It looks like you are working on the switch (under the number plate light). From what you say, the switch is ok. The LATCH is the item at fault. It is inside the tailgate and locks on to the curved bar (staple) on the threshold plate. You will need to remove the trim from inside to get at it. 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

Post #202927 13th Oct 2013 5:16 pm
dunkley201

As I recall, there is a microswitch but you can only get at it once the latch is removed from the tailgate.

See here: http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic15392.htm...gate+latch 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

Post #202928 13th Oct 2013 5:19 pm
FreeLander88

Ok... Thanks for all answers.... I have the trim away.... so I see the latch..... What I think is.... can I shortcut any of the 3 wires to cheat the central locking that the tailgate is locked...... so I can open it with my fob..
I dont know how to open it otherwise to access the latch and the microswitch inside it.

Post #202930 13th Oct 2013 5:31 pm
dunkley201

Not as I recall. What has failed is the internal shaft in the tailgate latch. I had to cut it apart it to open it! You will need to remove the staple from the threshold plate (2 bolts I think) and remove the latch from the tailgate (3 screws). Then the whole locked assembly (latch, threshold plate and trapped trim) can be removed as one item. Then, as I recall, cut in to the latch body to open the jaws. Not a quick job, sorry! Twisted Evil 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

Post #202931 13th Oct 2013 5:38 pm
FreeLander88

Disconnect the connections to the latch and micro switch when the car was running .... stood still tailgate open the display. Should not it disappeared when the lock was disconnected? Then suddenly disappeared tailgate open from the display. Turning off the car and try to lock .. but it is still not possible, horn signals .... Is it really the lock is the problem? What else could it be?

Post #202939 13th Oct 2013 6:52 pm
dunkley201

In the link I referred to above, I said the following:

"My latch failed in the "part closed" position - ie. the tailgate would not open, by use of tailgate handle switch or remote. All that could be heard was a weak click when operated. The car however logged it as "tailgate open" and refused to let me lock the car and kept the interior lights on too. There was no option but to disconnect the battery last night.
Today, I tried again, but without any luck. I then rang Duckworths and spoke to Adam in the workshop who confirmed that if I could not get the latch to open, the whole lot would have to be dismantled in situ. He thought there "may" be a quick release lever once I accessed the latch (there was not).
To dismantle, I removed the 2 screws in the tailgate trim handles then pulled off the trim from the top. The trim will not come off completely as it is trapped by the closed latch. I was then able to remove the three torx head bolts that hold the latch. I disconnected the electrical connection (use a screwdriver to depress the lock tang and pull off) and was then able to open the tailgate leaving the latch still locked on to the staple. I then removed the hasp by unclipping the threshold trim and levering it up from the inside to access the 2 bolts. I was then able to remove the whole latch/trim/trim/staple assembly from the car. As everything was still locked together, it was clear to me I would have to destroy the latch to separate the parts. I cut off the plastic tags that held the mechanism cover with a Dremel and levered the casing apart. I could then see that the nylon shaft as seen in Sean's photos had snapped in the same place. I was then able to operate the lever that is normally moved by the nylon shaft to unlatch at last.
I have temporarily reconnected the latch electrically ensuring the mechanism is in the locked position. At least I can now lock the car again. The tailgate has been secured internally with bungee cord. I will order a new latch from Dan @Duckworths on Monday
."

You see I had the same symptoms. The car thinks the tailgate is open but it is really shut. This is because the latch is broken as I described. Take it apart. Replace the latch. Your troubles will then be over! Wink
Bob 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

Post #202942 13th Oct 2013 7:03 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>