« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > First month of ownership
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
martinbcfc

England 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Indus Silver
First month of ownership

Have now owned my Freelander 2 for a month and have to say I absolutely love it. have done 1200+ miles, not missed a beat, getting 35+ mpg overall - not brilliant, but looking at some threads, could be worse. Biggest plus though is towing. Just got back from a 200 mile round trip to North Wales and car was superb pulling the caravan. I changed from a Honda CRV diesel as I was not happy with the way it towed and how it struggled at times (5th gear possible on level road, but any incline saw you going down the box, very few times able to use 6th gear). The Freelander is happy in 6th gear and will pull in that gear up inclines as long as not too steep. It took the mountain pass on the A470 by Minllyn with ease, which was where on the previous journey I decided the CRV was just not man enough. Different driving style to the CRV, but now I am used to it, I am totally converted and just love the car. The CRV, and the previous CRV I had were good, but this is in a different league. Just hope it continues to be so!! 2011 XS SD4, Indus Silver (Getting to love it more and more)
2012 HSE Manual, Santorini Black (Loved it and did not want to let it go)
2011 Honda CRV EX IDTEC (Gone and never really loved)
2007 HONDA CRV CDT-I Exec (Gone and really missed)

Post #198190 6th Sep 2013 10:47 pm
pressureman

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Indus Silver

Hi martin(bcfc), glad to hear you are converted but don't expect anything other than flack from CG whenever you put the white box on the back.
I still love driving my 07 SE every time I get in it. I have to admit that I don't do any towing in 6th but it is very happy in 5th; maybe my van is a bit heavier. I'm waiting delivery of an SD4 HSE in the next couple of weeks so looking forward to a bit more power but won't be able to compare directly as it is an auto. You have made me doubly pleased as I was seriously considering a CRV before opting for the FL2.
I still drool a bit in the showroom but Mrs Pressure thinks the Disco looks like a hearse and I really can't justify running an RRS (much as I would probably like to (especially the new one).
However, I just think of how many tanks of fuel I can now fill and if you throw in a few cruises, it makes me feel better.

Post #198199 6th Sep 2013 11:30 pm
martinbcfc

England 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Indus Silver

Well aware of CG and his view on caravans even after only being a member here for a short while. Feeling is reciprocated about tractors when stuck behind one with the van!! Very Happy
Good to hear you feel the same about your Freelander and how it tows. Will be good to know how the auto compares with the manual. A lot on here seem to say the auto is best but have to say I am very happy as is. Maybe next buy will be an auto, but that will be a while yet. 2011 XS SD4, Indus Silver (Getting to love it more and more)
2012 HSE Manual, Santorini Black (Loved it and did not want to let it go)
2011 Honda CRV EX IDTEC (Gone and never really loved)
2007 HONDA CRV CDT-I Exec (Gone and really missed)

Post #198207 7th Sep 2013 9:12 am
chrisr1806

England 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Glad to hear that you are enjoying it. Thumbs Up

Post #198209 7th Sep 2013 10:00 am
pressureman

Picked up my first 'new' car yesterday (all my other new cars have been company vehicles). HSE Lux SD4 Indus Silver. I really enjoyed my 07 SE Manual but this really is the D's B's in comparison. It got wet today so was too shy to have its photo taken! Mrs Pressure wanted another silver one and so be it. Stealer Sales Manager so impressed when he picked it up from the prep shop that he is ordering one as a demonstrator. The 19" standard 10 spoke alloys with contrast paint look superb with the silver body and privacy glass. Mixed feelings about the reversing camera as yet; not sure where to look as it's tempting to stare at the screen when I probably should be concentrating more on the mirrors.
I still try and put the key fob in the receiver! Don't miss the manual gears though, wish I had the auto years ago. I'm just about to fit a RoadHawk camera so will report on that in another thread.
Not sure how LR decide which tyres to fit as I see some with Wranglers, others with Pirelli but mine came with Continental Cross Contacts. Quite happy with that as my SE had these from new and averaged about 35k miles per set with no problems and pretty even wear.
I originally ordered the HSE but then wanted 8 way adjustment drivers seat and that is only available with the Lux version - definitely the right decision! The ebony Windsor leather is pretty comfy but just as well that I'm fairly dinky as I reckon a fat knacker would feel as if he/she was on on a bike. Anyway, weather not too bad tomorrow so will give it a bit more wellie and maybe get the mileage into three figures. 2007 SE Manual : Gone and missed but 2013 HSE Lux is better!
Series IIa : Gone but hopefully still alive.

Post #199563 15th Sep 2013 11:21 pm
Budweiser

United Kingdom 

We have a Dynamic with lots of add ons. I've also had a D3 and D4, both very good vehicles but the Freelander beats them both for what we need. I never in my dreams thought I would ever buy one but what a revelation it has been. Bow down Thumbs Up

Post #199591 16th Sep 2013 3:45 pm
Badger1970

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Baltic Blue

pressureman wrote:
I originally ordered the HSE but then wanted 8 way adjustment drivers seat and that is only available with the Lux

Good choice! I had a 2012 HSE before my 2013 HSE Lux...with the exception of the softer leather, the seats are identical. Have they dropped electric adjustment on the normal HSE for MY2013 then? Foraging near Gaydon....
覧覧覧覧覧覧覧
MY13 HSE Lux SD4, Baltic Blue - current, 30,000> miles without fault
MY12 HSE 2.2 SD4, Sumatra Black - gone after 10 months/43,000 fault-free miles

Post #199597 16th Sep 2013 5:11 pm
pressureman

The HSE still has electric seats with memory but the seat height adjustment seems to raise the rear of the seat more than the front, making it feel as if you are being tipped out (same as my old SE - but without memory). Apparently, only the Lux is fitted with 8-way adjustment (drivers side only) which allows you to adjust the rake of the seat pad as well as the height. I find that much more comfortable, as I am a bit of a shorthouse and need the seat raised a fair bit! 2007 SE Manual : Gone and missed but 2013 HSE Lux is better!
Series IIa : Gone but hopefully still alive.

Post #199650 17th Sep 2013 9:30 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1