Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > M-Tech Brakes
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
dunkley201

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

CG - for once, I agree! 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

08 FL2 TD4 SE Manual in Rimini Red (Now Gone)

Post #196119 22nd Aug 2013 10:46 pm
Jimski

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

+1....!! Thumbs Up 2013 FL2 - Black Edition Auto
2013 FL2 - Black Edition Manual GONE!
Founder of the 'Microscopic LR Spoiler Badge Club'
Destroyer of chrome rears.....

Post #196121 22nd Aug 2013 11:26 pm
Mav71

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

dunkley201 wrote:
Mav - have you ever suffered from brake fade on the Freelander? I certainly have not. All drilled and/or grooved discs will do is aid cooling and thus put off the brake fade point. They are unlikely to improve cold braking (in fact, if you think about it, the friction area is actually reduced by the drilling and grooves). Discuss..... Confused

Never suffered from brake fade on the Freelander. I understand what drilled and grooved brakes offer as I run them on my Astra, which gets driven in a more spirited way if you know what I mean when I do track days. I also have braided hoses front and rear on the Asra.

I can get braided hoses for the Freelander, but I am not going to bother as the car doesnt get driven hard enough to warrant them. The idea of the drilled discs on the Freelander is purely for looks. There will not be any negative side to fitting drilled discs to the Freelander though, the amount of surface area which is reduced by the drilling is minimal. But under normal braking on any car, the heat does create gas between the disc and pad, so in theory just running drilled discs will help this gas escape and keep the pad on the disc.

So this is purely to look nice behind the wheel than anything else. They are also a damn site cheaper than discs from LR.

I might actually paint the callipers while I am at it. Thinking of using Vauxhall Rembrant silver, as this is very close to the original cadmium plated finish when new. If not, I may do them silver. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #196192 23rd Aug 2013 5:57 pm
Mav71

dunkley201 wrote:
CG - for once, I agree!

I am having my chrome arse piece done in mat silver finish like the Evoque. Should help to tone it down a little and bring it more up to date. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #196193 23rd Aug 2013 6:02 pm
Slaneydore

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Be interesting to see how it comes out Mav Wink BETTER looking half of the famous Twinlanders
The wanna be other half - http://www.freel2.com/forum/member-carriec.html

Post #196196 23rd Aug 2013 6:09 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
dunkley201

Good luck with the mods then Mav - judging by your standards to date, they will be faultless - it seems you may have the best presented Freelander on the forum! For me, the jury is still out re the drilled discs added tech benefits, although if you say they are cheaper (by how much?) than LR's offering then you may have a valid argument. Thumbs Up 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

Post #196221 23rd Aug 2013 6:57 pm
Mav71

dunkley201 wrote:
Good luck with the mods then Mav - judging by your standards to date, they will be faultless - it seems you may have the best presented Freelander on the forum! For me, the jury is still out re the drilled discs added tech benefits, although if you say they are cheaper (by how much?) than LR's offering then you may have a valid argument. Thumbs Up

I agree with you as far as any physical benefits go. The way I look at it, they for sure wont be any worse than standard, so no disadvantage, but should look good.

The approx price I have for all 4 discs is £184. That includes their black coating to prevent the disc centre showing the rust like a plain disc would. Going to ring them on Monday for a definite price. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #196226 23rd Aug 2013 7:18 pm
dunkley201

Genuine Discs AND Pads on ebay for less than £158.00 (Buy it Now) in total inc P&P! 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

Post #196229 23rd Aug 2013 7:57 pm
Mav71

dunkley201 wrote:
Genuine Discs AND Pads on ebay for less than £158.00 (Buy it Now) in total inc P&P!

Really? Have you got a link? That may be another option. But I really fancy the idea of crossed drilled. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #196232 23rd Aug 2013 8:11 pm
dunkley201

Rear discs & pads: eBay Item No. 221268221811
Front discs & pads: eBay Item No. 221270258380
Also some offerings of "performance discs" drilled & grooved
Take a look!
Bob 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

Post #196235 23rd Aug 2013 8:19 pm
daemonlr2

Romania 

Mav71 wrote:
dunkley201 wrote:
Mav - have you ever suffered from brake fade on the Freelander? I certainly have not. All drilled and/or grooved discs will do is aid cooling and thus put off the brake fade point. They are unlikely to improve cold braking (in fact, if you think about it, the friction area is actually reduced by the drilling and grooves). Discuss..... Confused

Never suffered from brake fade on the Freelander. I understand what drilled and grooved brakes offer as I run them on my Astra, which gets driven in a more spirited way if you know what I mean when I do track days. I also have braided hoses front and rear on the Asra.

I can get braided hoses for the Freelander, but I am not going to bother as the car doesnt get driven hard enough to warrant them. The idea of the drilled discs on the Freelander is purely for looks. There will not be any negative side to fitting drilled discs to the Freelander though, the amount of surface area which is reduced by the drilling is minimal. But under normal braking on any car, the heat does create gas between the disc and pad, so in theory just running drilled discs will help this gas escape and keep the pad on the disc.

So this is purely to look nice behind the wheel than anything else. They are also a damn site cheaper than discs from LR.

I might actually paint the callipers while I am at it. Thinking of using Vauxhall Rembrant silver, as this is very close to the original cadmium plated finish when new. If not, I may do them silver.

I am very interested in buying braided hoses for my Freelander, I drive it pretty hard.I am also in the process of swaping the front and rear brakes of an i6 or 2.0 turbo. What I have found so far is:
On the front the disc is bigger so you will need the brake caliper bracket, that is all ,the rest is the same,even the pads.
On the rear the disc has the same diameter but it is ventilated thus wider so you need new caliper new bracket and new pads.

Post #196281 24th Aug 2013 11:54 am
The Fish

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tangiers Orange

Sounds good, have been looking at replacing mine as well. Standard or upgrade ? Mmm Rolling Eyes

Post #196295 24th Aug 2013 12:41 pm
Mav71

Brakes are ordered! I have gone for the full drilled discs and decided not to have the grooves.

They also have an option of silver, gold or black protective finish to stop the hubs rusting. So I have gone for the silver.

All four discs and a full set of Mintex Pads came to £224 including VAT and delivery.

So if the weather is OK, I'll be fitting them on Saturday! Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #196840 28th Aug 2013 7:21 pm
Mav71

Forgot to add, the cross drilled holes will face one way on the left and the other way on the right. Just like on Mercs. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #196841 28th Aug 2013 7:22 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12