Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > My Freelander 2 > New Freelander HSE SD4
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Guinea

New Freelander HSE SD4

I've just traded up my three year old pre-facelift HSE TD4 for a new SD4 HSE. I got a standard HSE with the reverse camera and one of two bits of extra black plastic.

My first impressions are pretty good. The fuel efficiency has taken a nice bump upwards and the performance increase is welcome. I really enjoy the heated steering wheel and am looking forward to winter.

However, there are a few niggles.

I keyless system is pointless. I had an 06 Scenic that was properly keyless in that you did not need to take the key out of your pocket to get in and out the car and start it up. The new keyless system is pointless.

The electronic handbrake is similarly poorly thought out. On my old Scenic it came on automatically when you powered off. Instead on the Freelander you have to activate it, which is slower than pulling the lever. Again it seems like a job half done.

Another odd thing is the engine response when reversing. There is a lot of lag which makes you push the pedal more. Then you get scared a little in case you woosh backwards. It's a step down from the old model. I don't know if there's something wrong with it, but I'll mention it on my next trip to the dealer.

Also, another very minor niggle is that the boot takes more of a slam than the old one. About half of the time I fail to close it and have to reopen and go again. I guess I'll get used to giving it a bit of a slam.

On the whole, great new car, but some of the new features are poorly implemented.

This post has been edited by the site administration team
moved to my freelander

Post #195038 15th Aug 2013 4:06 pm
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey
Re: New Freelander HSE SD4

GuineaMac wrote:
Also, another very minor niggle is that the boot takes more of a slam than the old one.

That can easily be adjusted - mention it to the dealer when you next take the car in.

Post #195039 15th Aug 2013 4:12 pm
j77

Scotland 

I just switch my one off and the park brake comes on, without touching the switch.

EDIT- just realised its only manual cars that have automatic EPB Rolling Eyes 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #195040 15th Aug 2013 4:28 pm
chrisr1806

England 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Welcome to the forum.

Hopefully you can get those niggles and enjoy the car.

Oh, and make sure to get some pics up. Whistle

Post #195046 15th Aug 2013 4:49 pm
flylr

2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

Keyless start a big improvement on the old system of having to dock the key.
Agreed nowhere near as good as keyless entry but a step up. (Coming) 2016 RR Evoque td4 180 HSE Dynamc
(Going) 2013 TD4 GS Auto - Santorini Black with black leather. Cold Climate, UK Lighting & Armrest Packs. Privacy Glass. LR Rubber Mats. Full size spare.
60 000 miles averaging 35mpg

(Gone) 2010 TD4 Manual GS - Stornoway Grey. Sold at 3yrs old & 64k miles. Final average consumption 39.2mpg.

Post #195288 16th Aug 2013 8:04 pm
Captain Worm

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Narvik Black

Think I'd prefer to press a button to get in. At least you know for definite if it is open and closed!

As for the EPB, I drive an auto and only apply the hand brake probably 50% of the time, so again I think it is probably a good thing it does not always engage automagically

As for the reverse gear thing, it's probably just a programming thing to stop people reversing too quickly and crashing! Razz

Hope you enjoy your new HSE, I'm very tempted but still a bit pricey for me! Freelander 2 TD4 Auto, SE, Narvik Black, Alpaca full leather, Rear Headrest Entertainment System, 6 CD, 18 HSE Wheels, Privicy tints

Post #195314 16th Aug 2013 10:12 pm
Guinea

Captain Worm wrote:
Think I'd prefer to press a button to get in. At least you know for definite if it is open and closed!

Keyless entry systems are quite obvious when locked and unlocked. You can even try the doors if you like. You usually still have to press a button on the handle to lock and pass your hand by a sensor to unlock. The car doesn't simply lock and unlock based on proximity.

This new system means you either have to put the key in your pocket or in a space in the car, which is little improvement compared to putting it in the dock. In fact, when it comes to locking the car at the end of a journey, at least with the dock you know exactly where the key is.

Post #195574 19th Aug 2013 12:24 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1