« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > warranty direct
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
roly

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Zermatt Silver
warranty direct

Having purchased my freelander at 3.5 years old I thought I should investigate purchasing a warranty.
Asked warranty direct for a quote via the web site a month ago, they replied straight away with a price of £1050 pa
Since I rejected this I have now had over 30 phone calls from them, they keep reducing the price slighjty and is now down to less than £600.
They will charge whatever they can get away with.
I dont think I will bother.

roly

Post #193408 2nd Aug 2013 7:15 pm
Eurolandy

England 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Orkney Grey

I made the mistake of contacting Warranty Direct when mine came out of the LR warranty. I lost count of the number of calls I had from them. Real pain. £1050 a year is a lot of cash.

Post #193414 2nd Aug 2013 8:22 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

I've discussed this on here before but will briefly go there again. Paying for an extended warranty has peace of mind and no hassle (short of wear and tear arguments), hence people go down that road.

My personal recommendation would be to chance it and put away what it would cost per month for a warranty into a savings account. Use that money to pay for more trivial cheaper faults. If anything more significant fails then you would be better off demanding a repair from the dealer under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 claiming unsatisfactory quality, durability etc etc.

It would cost a dealer more to fight the case than it would to cave in and cough up for repair because they have to pay for legal representation whereas you represent yourself and just pay to file the claim. You don't pay costs at small claims court even if you lose.

Yes there is the hassle aspect but you could save a lot of money. Has your car been reliable so far or unreliable? Worth considering because 'friday cars' are more likely to utilise an extended warranty. Plus I offer my skills to forum members if I haven't got to travel far to help fight the case Laughing LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #193416 2nd Aug 2013 8:32 pm
Boroboy

United Kingdom 
Re: warranty direct

I would not bother either, as warranty companies have to make a profit at the end of the day.
I own a 58 FL2 with 72k on the clock, we've had it around a year now. Had some issues with it over the first 6 months of ownership, none of which were covered under my Land Rovers used warranty, at the time. I managed to sort most myself & some that I couldn't, had a good independent garage to do the work.
I had Land Rovers used warranty for the first 6 months after purchase, which covered everything, but what I needed it too Sad . Items that weren’t covered, wheel bearings (unless in a dangerous condition) or unable to pass an MOT. Mine wasn't, just noisy. Blocked fuel filter, again not covered. Leaky rear brake light cluster. Noisy gear linkage. Wear & tear items (brakes), again not covered. All the items I replaced cost me alot less than £600. I also considered a warranty, after the Land Rovers warranty had ran out. Decided against it. it was a good decision, as over the last 6 months it has been 100% reliable Thumbs Up (touch wood). Also alot of the warranties have an excess on every claim made.

I stay well away from main dealers now it's out of warranty & their costly servicing Thumbs Up Landy has now gone.

Post #193665 4th Aug 2013 10:45 pm
fisherman

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

I took out an extended warranty ( 09MY 35,000 miles ) with Warranty Wise for a 3 year term at about £1360 total about £450 per year. You have to keep the servicing up but can use non LR dealers so long as they are vat registered.

Not had reason to test their warranty yet and hope I don't but you can make as many claims as you need during the period so long as the running total does not exceed the initial value they put on the car at time of contract. They put a higher value on my car than I paid for it. You can set your own excess and the warranty covers just about everything, A/C etc.

Post #193704 5th Aug 2013 11:44 am
surfingmonkey

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

They always draw your attention to everything that's covered, never the small print which details everything that's not covered. Agree with what's been posted above, keep the cash to pay for repairs as and when required, better value.

Post #193727 5th Aug 2013 2:41 pm
fisherman

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

what a surprise the 2 yorkshire lads would not spend the money on a warranty ( only kidding guys ) javascript:emoticon('Laughing') any insurance is down to risk management. I have had my house and contents insured for 39 years and never made a claim, however the cost of repairing Freelanders is beyond a joke at dealer prices.

Post #193739 5th Aug 2013 4:32 pm
garioch43

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

I took out an extended warranty with Warranty Direct almost a year ago, when the 3 year LR cover expired. They quoted me around £500 for 13 month's cover for their full bifta option, which I thought was reasonable.

It's booked in to have the rear diff replaced, without any quibble, so I'm a happy customer so far.

Thumbs Up garioch43

2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE - Santorini Black/Black Leather
2002 MGF 1.8i - British Racing Green/Cream Leather with loads of walnut and chrome bits

Post #194197 9th Aug 2013 11:56 am
pcheaven

United Kingdom 

£500 - sounds a fair price 

Post #194198 9th Aug 2013 12:26 pm
matty D

2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Old thread, but thought Id add to it.

Decided to get a warranty for my 3.5 year old FL2, went for warranty direct as they cover wear and tear, and service and mot failures. 3 years cover, paying for main LR dealer repairs, managed to get them down from the initial internet quote of £1700, to £1000, so £333 per annum. I think this was a great price so went for it.

If I don't claim £1000 in the next 3 years, a) ill be a little surprised, and b) I won't be upset at having paid the grand for peace of mind.

Post #214568 22nd Jan 2014 9:31 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

Glad that you're happy Thumbs Up

I made an initial Internet enquiry a couple of weeks ago and got hounded to death by calls! The icing on the cake as when the sales man told me "not to interrupt him" when he was in the full flow of his sales speech! As a Sales Manager myself, I've yet to have heard any of my sales people say such a thing!

He was desperate to sell me anything, even it was not what I wanted, or completely wrong for me.

I have learned my lesson; when going on to their Internet site to get quotes, enter random (and useless) phone numbers and email addresses in their contact fields!

Post #214572 22nd Jan 2014 9:45 pm
Bifterx

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Sumatra Black

Just to add my experience with Warrantee Direct.

We had a Warrantee Direct top of the range option on our D3 which ended up being about 575 quid (LR warrantee was about 700 from memory) - and on a D3 you REALLY want a extended warrantee!

but dealing with WD is a NIGHTMARE - they try to squirm out of every single claim, we had to sooo careful how things were described on the phone, they would ask leading questions of the workshop engineers, if a part didn't meet exactly the description in the booklet the claim was not authorised etc

On two separate occasions when enquiring about a repair before taking it in, the call handler would confirm it was a covered part but when work was done - denied it was covered - luckily all calls are recorded so we asked to speak to supervisor and review the call recordings - hey presto, covered part. So yeah, not good.

On renewal went with an LR warrantee (with Guy Salmon) - wow, what a difference, just the whole experience of the LR warrantee is just excellent - you know exactly where you are with things - no quibbling. Very good so worth the extra 120 quid.

Ive just taken out an LR one on a 07 SE FL2 as well for 520 quid, so I'll see how that goes.

We may have just had a unique bad experience with WD but reading forums, not that unique.

Good luck!

Post #214576 22nd Jan 2014 9:49 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

Sorry to say, but I've been there too Sad

I took out a top of the range policy on a Cooper S, with cover due to start the day the manufacturer's warranty expired. It was explicitly sold on the basis that it would cover wear and tear items from Day 1.

After about 3 months, both rear wheel bearings suddenly became very noisy (over a few days), so I booked it in for the dealer to look at, proudly waving my WD warranty cover book in front of them. The dealer's response? "We'd better only do the worst one, they'll never pay for both of them!"

Disappointed and surprised, I had to ask them to do just the worst one. I then had to pay the dealer in full (about £260!) and attempt to make the claim myself. My claim was rejected straight away, on the grounds that it was "wear and tear".

It took about 2 weeks of fighting with them and they only conceded as I was able to tell them the name of the sales person that had sold me the policy, which seemed a bit unfair as the website had made it clear that wear and tear was included!

About a month later, I got my payment, less their excess and I was still left with 1 remaining dead wheel bearing and no hope of claiming for it.

When their sales person was trying to sell me my policy for the Land Rover, he told me the familiar "wear and tear is included story" and when I asked him for written confirmation of that, he wouldn't let me have it, he just wanted my credit card number to take a deposit on the policy. At this point, I hung up.

Now that this thread has reminded me about what happened, I won't consider another policy from them again.

Post #214580 22nd Jan 2014 10:10 pm
Legoman

United Kingdom 

They make money out of people's insecurities. Censored leaches!

Post #214585 22nd Jan 2014 10:18 pm
ebygum32

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

Have WD On swmbos FL2 57 GS £450 for year inc no betterment airbags and emissions just claimed £1150 for rear diff no problems from initial taking to garage (greenoval Thumbs Up ) to getting vehicle back 4 days.

Have it on my D3 05 SE for three years £1700 (£600+£600+£500) and still a few months to go claimed £3000 for new torque convertor, £300 for new alternator and £100 for tailgate latch no issues with any of it, so looking at the figures for both I am in credit Thumbs Up

Only issue is you have to pay out then claim the money back off them which takes up to 10 working days.

Post #214670 23rd Jan 2014 9:18 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>