« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Slaney's Monday Mod LR002462 Fascia Kit
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
chrisr1806

England 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Mav71 wrote:
A nice mod, but I just had to remove my silver trim. I think alloy effect trim has had it's day. Looks very dated. Sorry. Confused

Couldn't agree more Mav. Whistle

Post #194133 8th Aug 2013 8:23 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

just get a roll of 2 inch wide gloss black tape, slap it over the trim or anywere else you fancy( wifes mouth?), flatten out the creases, swear, rip off, reapply properly. Job done Thumbs Up At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #194134 8th Aug 2013 8:24 pm
edamball

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

StephenMG wrote:
Slaneydore - thank goodness, I thought it was just me that liked this alloy trim kit!

I'm with you on this. I think the silver trim provides much needed contrast in the otherwise dark interior.

Click image to enlarge

Personally not so keen on the silver trim either side of the stereo, but each to their own.

Post #194153 8th Aug 2013 9:37 pm
chrisr1806

England 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

I'm surprised that members don't seem to like piano black that much. I thought it would be more popular TBH as it goes with any interior colour. IMO of course.

Post #194155 8th Aug 2013 9:43 pm
edamball

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

I have a bit of an irrational dislike of piano black finishes that comes from my days selling high end audio systems and a fad over a few years for some loudspeaker manufacturers to add piano black finishes to their ranges at high price premiums in an attempt to add a more luxury perception to their product, but never achieving that characteristic lustre of a Steinway piano.

A Steinway piano is covered with three layers of polyester varnish, which amounts to a 1 mm coat of varnish. The varnish takes ten days to harden, and after that one man takes a week to remove 0.6mm of the coat through sanding and polishing, so that finally the piano has that typical gleaming black Steinway look.

It has always felt like a case of the Emporer's new clothes to me I'm afraid. Not that it's wrong, it's just not my cup of tea. Talking of which...

Post #194156 8th Aug 2013 10:02 pm
StephenMG

Wales 2015 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Fuji White

chrisr1806 wrote:
I'm surprised that members don't seem to like piano black that much. I thought it would be more popular TBH as it goes with any interior colour. IMO of course.

Speaking for myself, piano black doesn't interest me because absolutely everything in my car was black and I wanted to brighten the interior up a bit with some contrast. Simply replacing matt black bits with gloss black bits would have been pointless. I have to say though I would have preferred these extra alloy trim panels to match the smooth silver that already existed around the gear stick rather than being a brushed aluminium effect. Before the kit arrived I'd assumed that's what they were to be honest.

I must admit I did 'umm' and 'arr' over the pieces either side of the stereo/heater and I had them stuck on with Blu-Tak for a couple of weeks before I was sure I liked them!

Not sure I understand the comments about alloy being 'dated', after all there are plenty of new model cars around with alloy dash trim - the seemingly 'can do no wrong' Evoque being one of them. Smile

Mark

Post #194171 9th Aug 2013 1:15 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12