Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Judder/vibration when changing down
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
sam7

I had the same issue - judder when changing down from 3rd to 2nd (intermittently - it was hard to replicate every time), and accelerating from 1st to 2nd (judder when engaging 2nd - always at 1600-1900rpm, never higher or lower). I had it almost from new, progressively got worse, but only apparent when under load - i.e. up a hill or with 4 adults etc...

I demonstrated it to my dealer (after the 2nd time as the first time it was ok!) and after talking to LR HQ they were apparently instructed to strip the clutch and gearbox down to investigate. Booked in for two days work - ended up with a new clutch after the 1st day... The bite point was massively different so I assume there was significant wear!??? Generally ok now, however does appear to be slight judder in 1st!

For reference - bought new July10, manual, first noticed the issue after 1000 miles, clutch finally replaced after 23k miles April11 - I do mostly motorway miles so the clutch is hardly ever used, and I don't tow anything...

Post #106140 26th Jun 2011 4:43 pm
cosmjd

2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

I have exactly the same problem. 4th to 3rd at approx 30mph causes the noise/judder. It was in with the dealer today who shock horror couldn't find the fault! Obviously does not show up on their laptop! I went out for a drive with them and it was experienced but they could offer no help but would speak to management and have another look. Was really annoys is the aa were sent to it and their opinion (dmf) dismissed straight away. I'm really starting to struggle with useless dealers and awful reliability. It's now been back to the dealers 7 times in 7 months and only done 5k miles. Not what I expect for the money

Post #107004 4th Jul 2011 11:37 pm
Wing

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

UPDATE
I finally got the problem sorted! Went out a couple of weeks ago with the master tech who acknowledged a problem but didn't really have a definite answer, said "it was a matter of trial and error and replacing bits until the problem disappeared". Initially thought DMF but said no, after he agreed that the judder felt like it was from the rear.
Booked in for a couple of days and picked her up tonight with a new 'dual mass flywheel', was told that the springs in the 'old one' were on their way out, it's been doing it from just a couple of months old, so it must have been faulty from new! Anyway, there isn't a hint of any judder/vibration or rumble and the car feels great through all gears now. The clutch pedal is a bit higher from the floor to biting point now, but I've finally got the car I paid for. Hope this helps anyone else who was watching this thread and good luck! Thumbs Up Very Happy Very Happy

Post #111818 1st Sep 2011 8:39 pm
Jimski

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

I've now developed this, been noticing it a bit more recently. Predominantly 4th to 3rd but does it 3rd to 2nd into junctions at times. December '62' registered car, 7k miles........3rd issue I've had so far!!

Throttle blipping does away with the problem, but occasionally I get it on an up change Big Cry

I've never been happy with the 1st to 2nd change, wondering whether that's the first sign of a fault? 2013 FL2 - Black Edition Auto
2013 FL2 - Black Edition Manual GONE!
Founder of the 'Microscopic LR Spoiler Badge Club'
Destroyer of chrome rears.....

Post #193079 29th Jul 2013 11:26 pm
Niblets

2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Zermatt Silver

Hi. I sold my car a year or so ago but also had this problem during ownership. My car was a 2010MY manual. It turned out to be the haldex unit. The garage found this by trial and error/experience rather than reading fault codes etc. This was all done under warrantee an I believe the garage took a haldex unit off a "working" Freelander and put it on mine to confirm the fault before ordering a new unit. Hope this helps you.

Post #193253 31st Jul 2013 11:37 pm
Chris B

United Kingdom 

I was starting to get this on my 2009MY, one of the reasons for changng it. I'd had a DMF and suspected it again - funny thing was it came on suddenly one day so I suspect a spring had broken or lost its tension. The dealer service manager came out with me and felt it but as it was not severe and did not happen on every 4-3 shift, he thought it would be tough to get ti agreed on warranty. Suggested I carried on. Thanks for confirming that I was on the right track - I wonder who bought my old 'un after I traded it in? Gone... 2013 XS TD4 Manual Firenze Red
Gone... 2008 (09MY) XS Td4 Manual Stornaway Grey
Prior... 2003 G4 Discovery 2, 1998 Disco 1 and 1997 Disco 1 Company car before that
Also gone in Nov'13, after 7.5 yrs, to new owners with time for more TLC - 1980 Series III 88
Current 2015 Discovery Sport HSE 2.0

Post #193585 4th Aug 2013 5:58 pm
Jimski

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

Mine hasn't done it since I posted, perhaps it saw! I'm a little more careful with my downshifts and tend to rev match when I do.

All is well once again!! 2013 FL2 - Black Edition Auto
2013 FL2 - Black Edition Manual GONE!
Founder of the 'Microscopic LR Spoiler Badge Club'
Destroyer of chrome rears.....

Post #193587 4th Aug 2013 6:04 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12