Slaneydore

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

A member did a poll on here willo
http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic15960.html?highlight=auto+manual
have a little read of it Wink BETTER looking half of the famous Twinlanders
The wanna be other half - http://www.freel2.com/forum/member-carriec.html

Last edited by Slaneydore on 16th Jul 2013 4:38 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #191495 16th Jul 2013 11:10 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
willo81

United Kingdom 

Thanks

To be honest I am not going to be towing anytime soon and I am not going to be going off road, so would I even need a 4WD?

The only reason I would want a 4WD is cause of all the snow we seem to be getting at winter time these days - safer for the mrs to drive

Post #191496 16th Jul 2013 11:20 am
carriec

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I went for an auto - partly because I had also read about issues with the manual, especially if you are planning to tow anything.

Also when I was looking around and had decided on a HSE model there were far more autos available for this spec than there were manual.

I've never had an auto before and I love it - will probably never go back now - you can always push it over to 'Sport' mode to force the gear changes if you really need to, so my advice would be definitely look at getting an auto Thumbs Up

Post #191497 16th Jul 2013 11:20 am
chrisr1806

England 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

I wouldn't bother buying a 2WD FL2, unless you want the SUV looks. Many people who own SUVs don't want or need to off road, they just want them for the higher up driving position and better grip in the winter months.

I bought an HSE Auto (SD4) and I think the gear change is really smooth and my friends have commented on the smooth ride. This is my first auto and I don't think I will go back to a manual unless I change to a smaller, sportier car.

Some members have mentioned that the manual can be hard work in such a heavy car, and that sometimes the engine can feel underpowered. (I have never driven a manual FL2 so I can't comment) But I think the best thing for you to do is to drive both an auto and manual to get a feel of the car before you decide which spec to go for.

Thumbs Up

Post #191500 16th Jul 2013 11:45 am
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

manual box is fine in fl2, smooth positive changes clutch is fairly soft to press. linkages can get dry leading to more difficult changes. easily greased.
any attempts at towing/reversing a caravan etc will fry the clutch however, the achillies heal of many modern diesels with dual mass flywheels.
so if your not a caravan buy the manual, that said if your not paying for an expensive gypsy box then you will be able to afford an auto At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #191507 16th Jul 2013 12:35 pm
wizking

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Indus Silver

Must agree with CG, the manual I had was fantastic. Over 50,000 miles when I changed it and it never missed a beat. I now have a Auto but that's just personal preference and the SD4 doesn't come in manual!!

Post #191514 16th Jul 2013 12:56 pm
gilfishman

Wales 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Orkney Grey

See mine in for sale section,.....61 reg,gs td4,19000 miles flrsh,Indus silver £17800 Ono. Not that far form you.you won't be disapointed Thumbs Up Current: Freelander 2 GS, Orkney Grey, Factory fit privacy glass, design pack and Clearview pack. Almond Leather ,rear spoiler,rear mudflaps.my13.

Gone:Freelander 2, GS, "61"

Gone: Freelander 2, GS.e, "59"

Gone: Freelander 2, S, "08"

Post #191562 16th Jul 2013 6:10 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
flylr

2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

2wd manual..? Save youself a bundle and get a Nissan Qashqai. Did 70000 fault free miles in one. Clutch/gearchange was perfect.

My choice though, 4wd auto = Freelander. Miles better in every way. (Coming) 2016 RR Evoque td4 180 HSE Dynamc
(Going) 2013 TD4 GS Auto - Santorini Black with black leather. Cold Climate, UK Lighting & Armrest Packs. Privacy Glass. LR Rubber Mats. Full size spare.
60 000 miles averaging 35mpg

(Gone) 2010 TD4 Manual GS - Stornoway Grey. Sold at 3yrs old & 64k miles. Final average consumption 39.2mpg.

Post #191593 16th Jul 2013 8:11 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

When I bought mine I was looking for an Auto, but as the manual was about £1K cheaper I was able to upgrade from S to GS for the same money. Yes I'd have preferred the auto, but for the money I have a much nicer car. And it's done nearly 80,000 miles on the original clutch.

Post #191632 16th Jul 2013 10:52 pm
lack_of_pies

Scotland 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Stornoway Grey

Best option to decide auto/manual is to test-drive them both, over similar roads to where you will be driving.

I have a manual XS and find it great for the driving I do (and i do a lot of gear changes on my twisty commute). I had a loaner auto for a few days and found it to be a pig on the commute, frequently changing at the wrong time (e.g. mid corner when just stepping on the gas) and slow uptake sometimes, just wasn't happy with it. On more open roads it was fine.

LoP

Post #191634 16th Jul 2013 11:33 pm
fredastaire

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black
Buying a freely

So far the thread had provided much valuable advice and personal opinions so the next option should be personal research on FLs available to purchase.
My Uncle gave me very good advice when I was looking for my next car, (I ended up with a FL GS); his instructions were to go to a major car supermarket and look at all the different cars / models; the sites I visited didn't have any roving salesmen so we were free to check out all models, years and specs with no hassle.
You may for example decide that Leather is not for you so this immediately homes in on the models to suit you.
With a decision made on the year and model now go home and search for what's available.
I must say that the supermarkets I visited had super visible exteriors to the cars, all clean and shiny with painted tyres;----but oh dear when you opened the drivers door so many smelt and were filthy.
Once you've viewed a selection and made a mental model choice only then ask for a test drive.
Do instruct your brain that a test drive does not necessarily dictate a purchase.
Happy hunting with best regards from Fred 2010GS Auto ex Celeb, Santorini Black, 2011 facelift , spoiler, spats, mudflaps, LED footwell lamps, Witter detach,
Other cars:-
1958 & 1959 Austin J40 Pedal Cars under restoration (I make many J40 parts)
If you have an Austin J40 or Pathfinder Pedal Car looking for a new home pls PM me.
2009 Meriva

Post #191642 17th Jul 2013 12:14 am
willo81

United Kingdom 

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

So after many hours spent looking around and test driving we finally decided on a car

Freelander HST, in Black with Almond Leather - BEA utiful

The car looked lovely on the website so we put a deposit down and went to pick it up on Saturday - that is when the fun started

They had prepped the wrong car - therefore meaning that our car was still sat at the back of the forecourt with no service, prep, tax etc etc etc not only that but as I have a personalised number plate - they had sent off for this to be transferred to the "wrong vehicle"
That accompanied with the fact that the Mrs had changed our insurance details over to the "wrong car" ready for 3pm on Saturday.

That isn't the half of it - the best bit was when they couldn't find the car then tried telling me that my car (the one I am part exchanging) was the car I have just bought - Mad

The other annoying thing was that it said it had Memory Seats on the Website and when we looked it doesn't

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Rant Over

Post #192983 29th Jul 2013 1:17 pm
willo81

United Kingdom 

Has anyone used or been to Saxton 4X4 for a car before - What did you think?

Post #193385 2nd Aug 2013 1:34 pm
chrisr1806

England 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

According to people on RRSport, it is dreadful and you should avoid it. Apparently the cars are in bad condition and the prices are rather high.

Post #193386 2nd Aug 2013 1:35 pm
ad210358

England 

Disco4 isn't any better.

http://www.disco4.com/forum/topic94281.html?
http://www.disco4.com/forum/topic88133.html?
http://www.disco4.com/forum/topic15563.html? p****d off with a Digital Keyboard Warrior

Post #193393 2nd Aug 2013 2:54 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>