Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > paint bubbling on rear doors
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
defenderben

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Santorini Black

In this modern day and age of paint application in the factory I doubt that blistering is from the manufacturing stage. I strongly suspect this to be from a body shop repair after the factory paint application..

Before you all shout it cannot be as they have had it from new...I know for a fact that many brand new vehicles end up in paint shops having repairs from transportation damage and slight pre delivery knocks/dents etc.

Regards
Ben (GONE) FL2 2008 SE (manual) Santorini Black, the expensive one Sad
(LEFT WITH) 300tdi Defender 90 the cold, reliable & sensible one Smile

Post #182662 3rd May 2013 10:46 pm
Stevie5tapes

England 2013 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Auto Sumatra Black

Iam friends with a dealership manager. He doesn't sell LR but he uses a backstreet paint shop to fix scratches etc on the new cars he receives. I remember him saying to me what the customer doesn't know won't hurt them. Could be the case here? Black MY2013 SD4 GS Auto, Wood Company Armrest, Freel2 sticker.
Gone MY2010 Freelander 2 Manual TD4.e S, Alaska White.

Post #182764 4th May 2013 9:30 pm
mikehzz

Australia 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Lago Grey

I have the same thing happening on my rear passenger door. I've had the car 4.5 years and 157,000 kms. It goes in on tuesday for a warranty verdict as I have extended warranty. I also had the paint protection package from new. Never again fall for that con job.

Post #182788 4th May 2013 11:21 pm
tomrabbit

Scotland 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Izmir Blue

I'll be really interested to hear the verdict, Mikehzz. Must admit to a sinking feeling about this.

Post #182987 5th May 2013 11:10 pm
tomrabbit

Scotland 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Izmir Blue

A 3rd tiny paint bubble found just starting on the rear door.

[/URL][/img]

This is seriously unfunny. Have checked with my dad, and car has never had any paintwork damage or repairs. All services at main dealer, and body inspections complete. I took it to a body shop today, and they confirmed that this is a textbook case of corrosion coming up from beneath the paintwork, and is not due to external influences. Estimate £500 to make good both doors.
Haven't contacted Land Rover again yet, as I want to make sure I have done all my homework first. One other paintwork detail, that could possibly support my claim that there was an issue in the factory, is overspill of paint on the bonnet (see lower edge/corner in photo below), that has been there since new. I wasn't bothered about this minor cosmetic problem, and neither was my dad, but it clearly isn't how it should be.

[/URL][/img]

Might this be useful, or just a reason to suggest it has had a paint job whilst in our care?

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #183935 14th May 2013 2:51 pm
Mona Geeza

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Stornoway Grey

No paintwork repairs as far as you know, yes, but before it was delivered you dont really know.
I used to see lots of damaged cars arriving at a BL dealer in the 70's the top car on the transporter having got all the low trees en route.

Post #183958 14th May 2013 5:43 pm
mikehzz

Australia 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Lago Grey

I just got a verdict back on my bubbling...they aren't going to cover it. There is no paint damage just rust bubbling under the paint. They say I didn't have the required corrosion inspection checks. I won't buy another Land Rover simply because I don't want to give them any of my money anymore.

Post #185156 24th May 2013 7:48 am
StuckInTheMud

Scotland 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Fuji White

Okay, can someone give me the 'look up' on this?

We have a car that is obviously suffering from corrosion, they have admitted that by suggesting there is rust under the paint - so technically speaking they are admitting that the car has a problem that it should not have!

Okay, they see a get out clause and take the opportunity to say yeah, you are correct however, since you have not had inspections we are not interested in your claim.

So I have checked my service history and it has two servicing but one corrosion inspections.

Who decides on these inspections, are they automatic, do we have to ask for them and in doing so pay extra?

All confusing...

Yeah, agree with poster... Do not bother purchasing another, vote with your feet!

Outrageous behaviour, unless of cause the op has not been getting it serviced by LR 'There is thunder' then 'There is the warble of a V8'

SD4 HSE Fuji White (my car): sidesteps, door protection
Golf 2.0 tdi White (wife's car)
Triumph Stag (my 1975 V8 toy - 37,600 miles... Just started its 2nd restoration... had it since 1986)

Tiguan Summit (gone, but nice car)
Porsche Boxster (gone, it was too fast)
SLK (gone, did not like it - lost loads £s)
Discovery Cairngorm (gone,very tractor like)
+ loads of other cars

Post #185208 24th May 2013 1:35 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12