« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > paint bubbling on rear doors
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
tomrabbit

Scotland 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Izmir Blue
paint bubbling on rear doors

My low mileage 57 plate has developed a small bubble on the paintwork in the middle of each rear door. As far as I can see, this must be due to corrosion coming from beneath the paint, as there is no apparent damage. I took the car to Stratstone (where it was bought from, and has been serviced since new), and they seemed happy that this was a legitimate warranty claim, but Landrover rejected it, stating it was due to surface corrosion. I'm totally gutted. The car is immaculate inside and out, no damage at all anywhere, and I planned to keep it for another 5 years anyway, but I hate rust. If I really thought it was due to surface corrosion I would at least feel it could be sorted. I have taken further pictures and asked Landrover to reconsider, but they maintain the problem is due to 'external influences', and in anycase, it hasn't perforated the metal, so there is no case to answer. With only 9 months to go until the warranty expires, there's not much chance of it actually perforating... No surprise really that they would want to weasel out of a claim, despite all paperwork being in order. Any advice either on taking it further or nipping the problem it in the bud? Am I just really unlucky, or is this par for the course with Landrovers? I never had a Landrover before, but my 14 year old mondeo estate with 160.000 on the clock only had the smallest amount of corrosion on the sills when I sold it last year.

Post #182520 2nd May 2013 7:59 pm
EYorkshire

Corrosion is not common with Freelander's, howzabout you post up a couple of photos as an opinion is not exactly valid without seeing it.
A bubble of paint won't appear overnight if started beneath the paint so must have been evident for some time and a chip or damage externally would have left no paint.

Post #182521 2nd May 2013 8:09 pm
rchrdleigh

England 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Baltic Blue

Try asking Liam@LandRover who works in Customer Services for a second opinion, he has helped others in the past when LR originally refused to help.

Post #182527 2nd May 2013 8:31 pm
taztastic

England 

Did you buy it new or has it been serviced from new by Stratstone and had a previous owner?
Get the paint thickness checked, this can be done by many body shops with the right piece of kit, the paint thickness should match the adjacent panels, if it doesn't it may indicate that the doors have been re painted.

Many cars leave the factory or dealer having had remedial paintwork which breaks the original anti rust dipping treatment, certainly possible but proving that may be very difficult.

Hope you get to the bottom of this and keep us posted.

Post #182534 2nd May 2013 9:01 pm
tomrabbit

Thanks for replies. Photos below.
Car was bought new from Stratstone by my dad. I bought it off him aged 4, and it has only been serviced there since new. I'm certainly not aware that it has had any accidents or paint jobs (haven't mentioned this little 'issue' to him yet, as I know he will feel bad about it, but he certainly would have told me), but it would surely be strange to damage the doors on both sides? It spent its first 4 years living in a garage when not in use, so it had a very easy start to life! I didn't polish it over winter with the horrendous weather, so hadn't made a close inspection for a couple of months, which is when these must have developed. They seem completely random. I have had a few tiny stone chips on the bonnet which I cleaned and touched up, but none of these ever went through the layers of paint to the metal, and no rust ever developed. I can't really understand what 'external influences' could have caused this.

[/URL][/img]

[/URL][/img][/img]

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #182545 2nd May 2013 9:56 pm
EYorkshire

That in my opinion is not external damage but from the inside, I know nothing about paint and it's application but 'dust' or some other foreign body/contaminant present when it was sprayed maybe Exclamation

Post #182566 3rd May 2013 8:22 am
Mona Geeza

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Stornoway Grey

It does look like corrosion from behind, but it could also be micro blistering caused when moisture is present in the spray paint due to dirty air line filters and water separators.
It could have been touched up if it was damaged on the line or when it was being delivered, whatever if youve not had anything done to it and had it from new its a fault caused while Land Rover or their Dealer had it.

Post #182567 3rd May 2013 8:44 am
Boycey

England 2013 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Santorini Black

It's very difficult to make a judgement via photograph but of course what you have in your favour is that the same thing is happening in two separate places on opposite sides of the car, and starting and developing at similar rates. That would be a huge coincidence if it were stone chips.

I think if it were me I would take it to a professional body shop and if possible get their opinion in writing. Even better if they include some data on paint thicknesses etc as suggested earlier.

You are then presenting a reasoned case with evidence rather than asking for their goodwill. I'd be very surprised if they didn't change their stance

Post #182571 3rd May 2013 9:57 am
tomrabbit

Thanks for the opinions - nice to know other people think the same. I don't know anything about paint either, only that curing rust that is coming up from underneath can be damn near impossible. So could it definitely take 5 and a bit years for a factory paint problem to show up?
Anyway, I've still got my work cut out persuading Landrover to accept any responsibility, because there isn't an actual hole. Here's what they said to me in an email reply when I contested the original rejection:
'Regretfully, the decision remains unchanged as the reported issue is deemed a result of external influences, and not a manufacturing defect. As your handbook advises, the Anti-Corrosion warranty covers your vehicle against perforation due to corrosion rust of the body panels. The term 'perforation' means a hole that penetrates through the bodywork caused by corrosion from the inside or underside as a result of faulty manufacture or materials.'
They are pretty safe from ever having to pay out on a corrosion claim, if they need an actual hole in the bodywork... Really disappointed with Landrover's customer service. Clearly they think this is acceptable. Seems though if I could prove a manufacturing defect, I might have some leverage.

Post #182572 3rd May 2013 10:02 am
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

tomrabbit, looking at the first picture is that a blemish on the paint just at the bottom of the ruler ?

Iain

Post #182576 3rd May 2013 10:41 am
tomrabbit

I hadn't noticed that Iain. Just been out to check (in pouring rain!). Paint is intact, but there is a slight unevenness that could possibly be the start of another bubble. Really hard to tell at this stage, as it is right on the edge.

Post #182579 3rd May 2013 11:29 am
shiggsy

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Baltic Blue

Is it worth taking the wheel arch cover off and having a look from the other side? 
Hung like Einstein, smart as a horse.

Post #182580 3rd May 2013 11:33 am
EYorkshire

Good spot Iain, if there is some unevenness then it could be a repair and spray job you know nothing about.

Post #182597 3rd May 2013 3:25 pm
gravon 42

United Kingdom 2013 LR2 TD4 Dynamic Manual Santorini Black

The second picture looks more advanced than the first, and looks like
water trapped behind the paint. If that is so, the panel is perforated.IMO 2013 Dynamic Santorini black
2011 XS Lago grey
2007 HLS Stornoway grey
sometimes towing an Elldis AVANTE 574.

Post #182603 3rd May 2013 4:01 pm
steve t

United Kingdom 

Having spent over 20 years in the body shop trade I would say its deffo come from beneath the paint which leaves 2 posabilerties in my mind.
1 as already said rust cumming from the back of the panel,2 if it has had a repair at any time it could be trapped air that's been in the filler that over time has found its way out ( heat will help this prosess ) under the paint work

Hope that helps

Post #182657 3rd May 2013 10:26 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>