Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > LED sidelights & MOT
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
toeknee

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Sumatra Black

Nick, I've had 3 MOT's with LED's fitted and had no fails at all, not even mentioned in the Advisory, so i would just leave them in Thumbs Up

Post #181459 23rd Apr 2013 4:52 pm
nicedayforit

Provided the leds in the side lights are true white I find it hard to believe that any MOT tester could be so dimwitted as to fail a car presented for a test with them fitted. Very Happy
They are imo vastly superior to 501 bulbs normally fitted and undoubtably can be clearly seen from a far greater distance than the futile 501's without causing any glare problems for other road users.
It does appear the "rules" simply haven't caught up with the technology available.
I've been presenting cars fitted with led sidelights for years and never had so much as a comment.
Jobsworths Laughing

Post #181466 23rd Apr 2013 5:34 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

We're not allowed to remove anything on a test so there's no way a tester can check or fail a bulb for not having a CE mark. Also, lamps must only have 50% of the light sources illuminating so a multi bulb high level stop lamp with, say, 8 bulbs, 4 of which are not working, would pass. Same as a twin bulbed rear tail light with one bulb not working. Also a pass.

From the manual - Note: Some front position lamps have a blue tinge to the light. This is acceptable provided the light is predominantly white.

If you have any doubt about mot testing methods and reasons for rejection (fails), check here. http://www.transportoffice.gov.uk/crt/doit...guides.htm

If it aint in the RfR column, it CANNOT possibly be failed no matter who tests it or what their personal hang-ups are - the computerised system (compared to the old hand-written mot's) just will not allow it as the tester can ONLY choose RfR's from pre-set lists of RfR's. They can write in any manual advisories though - when the system first came out I once issued an advisory notice that the vehicle owner was a Spurs supporter and needed to consider changing his team! Mr. Green Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #181486 23rd Apr 2013 8:43 pm
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

Just passed the MOT with E-bay LEDs in the sidelights, Thumbs Up and it passed its first mot last year with the same at a different Test Station .

Also with incorrectly spaced 5 digit private plate with no dealers text on the bottom, but that did not surprise me because the Defender passed it's last 9 tests with the same ! 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #181520 24th Apr 2013 8:46 am
xtd5

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Barolo Black

MOT passed today Smile with LED sidelights fitted...no problem at all!

Post #181661 25th Apr 2013 11:33 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12