Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Anyone any good with parking sensors faults??
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Equ1nox

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey
Anyone any good with parking sensors faults??

Hi All,

Been a while but im back with a new Landy FL2, I picked the car up at the weekend but noticed that the parking sensors were not working, after investigation I found the fuse had been removed/taken out hence the "P" button was not doing anything or lighting up.

It does now though but as soon as I select reverse all I get is a constant high pitch sound through the speakers instead of the usual beep beep beep (its like im already up against a wall as normal functionality you get close then the beeps turn to a solid noise or the beeps are more frequent.

Anyone got any ideas on how to diagnose it further or am i looking at a back to land rover scenario? Any ideas would be grateful

EQ!

Post #180796 18th Apr 2013 11:55 am
SYFL2

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

At a guess i would say its back to Land Rover it sounds like a known fault thats why the fuse was removed,do what you can and check there is nothing wrong with the sensors check they are clean no loose wires etc.

Post #180797 18th Apr 2013 12:05 pm
Mav71

Sounds like the usual water ingress. Replacing the sensors should sort the problem. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #180800 18th Apr 2013 12:49 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

a characteristic of the FL2 is that they are prone to a continuous tone when the sensors get wet, rain or jetwashing etc

check each of the sensors for dirt or grime

I think they have a gizmo that can id the faulty sensor by checking is radar (or whatever its called)

Never heard of a fuse blowing or been pulled though, my guess is it might have been faulty and pulled by the previous owner instead of getting it fix

and Hello from Sunny Garforth, down the road Very Happy Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #180805 18th Apr 2013 12:56 pm
Equ1nox

Guys,

Hello to all back, from Sunny Classy Cas btw Wink This is why I love forums, Many thanks for the responses and quick ones at that wow, I will try each sensor and see if I can find anything out of the ordinary/give them a clean ect. I agree too my thoughts were the fuse being removed was to mask the fault but hey its second hand so i was always going to have some jobs.

Does anyone know how much the sensors are individually if I need some new ones? or what a set might set me back?.

I got limited funds as I just coughed up a load of dosh to clear my neg equity on my previous car to get me FL2 so may need to save for some parts I guess?

Regards

EQ

Post #180814 18th Apr 2013 1:53 pm
EYorkshire

About £50-£60 each is the going price but I'm almost sure your bumpers will have to be removed to get at everything.

Post #180818 18th Apr 2013 2:31 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

looking on eBay, the sensor look to be individually plugs type

My guess would be to by one, front or rear and go round fitting it, till you get a working system, hopefully you wont have more than one failed as that wont work

Im unsure if this is true, but i once read that the failed sensor clicks Confused might be worth getting down and listening

Contact Dan @ Duckworths for a price fro a new sensor, i would be worried the ones sold on eBay are already dodgy etc

is it a high pitched or low pitched tone?, front and back have different tones to tell you which is getting near Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #180819 18th Apr 2013 2:37 pm
Kola's Kab

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Lago Grey

Hi,

Recently had the same problem, not on the Freelander but with my Jag X-Type (same system I'm guessing)....

It happened before when it was under warrenty and a new control unit was fitted (about £240 from memory)

But this time its seems to have cured itself, which I cant explin except to say, the jag got its 'annual' wash recently;-) & that its turned a lot warmer, illogical I know but there is nothing else thats changed! Kola is the big solid black German Shepherd, Dobbie is.......a breed you've never heard of......yet;)

Post #180838 18th Apr 2013 5:54 pm
ad210358

England 

It's just a thought, has the vehicle had a tow bar fitted and its been removed, just thinking the Towing Electrics have been removed but has not been reprogrammed Question

Post #180839 18th Apr 2013 5:55 pm
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

Takes moments with diagnostic equipment as it will tell you which sensor if its a sensor or a module.

check & clean each sensor with a cotton bud in the air gap and then clean with Mr Sheen, The silicon repels any water and no more stupid sensors going off in the rain. Thumbs Up

Post #180843 18th Apr 2013 6:16 pm
bigalf1961

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Lago Grey

I do believe there is a tsb (tech service bulletin) for corrosion in the parking sensor connections (plugs) I believe you clean the plugs/connectors and pack out with Vaseline after testing that the fault has been rectified Thumbs Up rainy-city
xs

Post #180846 18th Apr 2013 6:49 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Equ1nox

Really appreciate all the replies guys, my car does have a tow bar fitted which i am currently in the process of removing (seems I need to remove the rear bumper to complete) I am removing it as I will never use it to tow anything but even with it still wired when I first got the car and attached all I got when I select reverse is a high pitch constant tone, then when I disconnect reverse gear and drive forward instead of the tone stopping/disengadging it stays on.

I have since had to resort to removing the fuse again untill I can get to the bottom of the fault. If all else fails I will look at booking it into LR and having them diagnose it, but I will definately try cleaning the sensors first as you never know ill try this weekend if I get time/chance.

EQ

Post #180927 19th Apr 2013 2:34 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

The sensors do not switch off when you disengage reverse. You must either switch them off manually or drive above a certain speed. The most likely explanation is that the fitting of the towbar interfered with the sensors and the fuse was removed as a cheap fix. Removing the towbar may solve, if not, it may be a software issue.

Post #180972 19th Apr 2013 10:20 pm
defenderben

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Santorini Black

I had a Passat with tow bar and rear sensors the metal plate to stop you from marking the bumper was obstructing the sensors causing continuous tone.
You may find the tow bar or protective plate to be the issue, once removed see if they work Smile
Sensors rear/front remain active until around 5mph same speed as the auto door locks activate.

Regards (GONE) FL2 2008 SE (manual) Santorini Black, the expensive one Sad
(LEFT WITH) 300tdi Defender 90 the cold, reliable & sensible one Smile

Post #180973 19th Apr 2013 10:36 pm
ad210358

England 

It won't be the tow bar causing it but it could be the LR Towing Electrics, if the previous owner has removed the Towing Module and not had it deactivated, it would have been easy to remove the module and put it on the bay and get £100 for it but to spend a Saturday morning removing the bumper to remove the bar and put it on the bay for £50 is not so exciting.

Post #180974 19th Apr 2013 10:51 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1