« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Snow setting help
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
timdonald

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Fuji White
Snow setting help

Just a quick question - had a search on here but couldn't find the answer and I know I should probably go and RTFM but can anyone tell me when I should change the terrain control to snow? Is it only if it's deep and I'm stuck or can I drive with it on all day in snowy road conditions? Don't want to do any damage by leaving it on and don't want to use it if I'm better going careful in the general setting.
Thanks.

Post #176806 22nd Mar 2013 8:38 pm
taztastic

England 

It won't do any harm, indeed sometimes when stuck in heavy traffic, I turn it on as it dulls the cars response making progress a little smoother.
If the road is snowy turn it on for safety, it starts in second gear (auto cars) and dulls throttle response lowering the risk of wheels spin, the traction control also kicks in far more quickly to prevent spin.

There are no rules, what I would suggest is, find a deserted car park and try all the modes, this is a good way to familiarise yourself, however, doing donuts in the snow with sand mode may attract the plod, they have a penchant for donuts apparently.

Post #176808 22nd Mar 2013 8:46 pm
rjc1944

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

"a penchant for donuts"

Preferably freshly made with plenty of sugar sprinkled on, eaten whilst walking on Llandudno Pier. Thumbs Up Ours - 2008 Stornoway Grey HSE Auto
Tricia's - 2006 Royal Blue Beetle Cabriolet Auto
Mine - 2014 Vespa GTS 300 Super Sport Matt Black
Ours - 2007 White Bailey Pageant Champagne

Post #176809 22nd Mar 2013 8:51 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

As a LRE instructor said to me once, look out the front window and decide what you need, GGS setting is for any slippery surface, not just what it says on the dial, i have used it on very wet road etc too, anywere were you think it might slip

you can also change settings on the move, no need to stop and change if you wasnt sure on how and when Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #176810 22nd Mar 2013 8:52 pm
timdonald

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Fuji White

Thanks Taz, that's exactly what I needed to know. And it just so happends there is an empty car park just opposite but you had to go and plant the seed about donuts and sand mode........ don't suppose I will get that one past the misses Wink

Post #176811 22nd Mar 2013 8:52 pm
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

If you're stuck you've left it too late Smile

I wouldn't use it unless there was a good covering on the road, but as Taz says it won't do any harm so just do what feels right. And be aware that in very deep snow the stability control system can become a hindrance rather than a help and might need to be turned off! But turn it back on as soon as you reasonably can.

Post #176812 22nd Mar 2013 8:53 pm
rchrdleigh

England 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Baltic Blue

If it's really deep snow then you'd be better off in Mud & Ruts than Grass,Gravel,Snow. Just turn off HDC unless you really need it.

Post #176814 22nd Mar 2013 8:56 pm
Apache

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Indus Silver

We've had 2 commercial FL2s and they don't have terrain response. They are very capable in 'normal' mode.

I almost never use snow mode in my D3 - I don't like the way it dulls throttle response - I know what to expect in normal mode. Been driving on various surfaces all day (blowing snow, 4 inches of fresh powder, black roads, up and down steep hills) all in the standard road setting. Did use HDC twice.

Post #176836 22nd Mar 2013 11:04 pm
Andy Jeff

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Santorini Black

In any slippery conditions GGS mode really does make life that bit easier. I can also confirm that sand mode does indeed make for great donuts in a snowy and somewhat abandoned works car park Twisted Evil

Andy

Post #176843 23rd Mar 2013 12:56 am
chrisio

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

This weekend I experienced an oddity with my snow settings.
All was ok in GGS mode while I was moving but when I slowed to turn up a hill I lost all power to the drive and the DSC light kept flashing. The snow really wasn't that deep and I experienced the same trying to pull off my drive this morning.
Is it knackered or should I be selecting sand and turning the DSC off?
I have never experienced this power loss before so was quite bewildered at the time.
Getting the handbook out helped explain what the DSC did but surely it shouldn't be that bad simply trying to get across quite shallow snow Confused
Oh, it's got 19" HST wheels with the factory Continental tyres before anyone asks!

Post #177170 24th Mar 2013 10:46 pm
taztastic

England 

Was there a layer of ice beneath the snow? DSC will kill the power if it detects slip, that would explain the flashing lights and power loss.

Post #177172 24th Mar 2013 10:50 pm
flylr

2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

I have not experienced anything like that before - even when powering through deep snow a couple of years ago.

There must have been ice underneath or else something is wrong with your 4wd system? (Coming) 2016 RR Evoque td4 180 HSE Dynamc
(Going) 2013 TD4 GS Auto - Santorini Black with black leather. Cold Climate, UK Lighting & Armrest Packs. Privacy Glass. LR Rubber Mats. Full size spare.
60 000 miles averaging 35mpg

(Gone) 2010 TD4 Manual GS - Stornoway Grey. Sold at 3yrs old & 64k miles. Final average consumption 39.2mpg.

Post #177175 24th Mar 2013 10:54 pm
Andy Jeff

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Santorini Black

I'm sure I recall the manual saying something like - if it's extra slippy, turn off DSC. I've had this trying to get up my very steep concrete drive covered in sheet ice, turning off DSC lets you break traction and keep the wheels spinning.

Andy.

Post #177179 24th Mar 2013 10:59 pm
chrisio

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

There may have been ice the first time it happened but I think the driveway was clear under the vehicle, just a small pile of snow behind it.
I wouldn't have thought the DSC should cut in except while driving and then maybe sliding.
Both times it happened I was simply trying to start to pull away.
The last time I encountered snow was in an '04 Jeep and you just drove it without having to mess with settings and controls Rolling Eyes

Post #177182 24th Mar 2013 11:01 pm
flylr

2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

Agree. I dont think I have ever had to switch off DSC or engage snow setting. just drive. (Coming) 2016 RR Evoque td4 180 HSE Dynamc
(Going) 2013 TD4 GS Auto - Santorini Black with black leather. Cold Climate, UK Lighting & Armrest Packs. Privacy Glass. LR Rubber Mats. Full size spare.
60 000 miles averaging 35mpg

(Gone) 2010 TD4 Manual GS - Stornoway Grey. Sold at 3yrs old & 64k miles. Final average consumption 39.2mpg.

Post #177184 24th Mar 2013 11:35 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>