Home > General > FL2 v Disco 3
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Steve D

United Kingdom 
FL2 v Disco 3

Hi all

Have been looking for some time for a D3 but they all seem to have common faults - EPB, FBH, suspension bushes, EGR valves etc so I was kind of expecting trouble should I get one. Are there as many common faults on the FL2? My biggest handicap is my wife though - she hates 'em and think the D3 looks like an armoured truck! I can just imagine the grief I'd get if I bought one and I was forever fixing it. She does however really like the looks of the FL2. It's probably never going to be used seriously off-road and I think someone said they also do a 2WD version. Is that right? Others have said you can remove the rear prop if you mainly use it on the road. Again, it that true? So many questions and I'm sure I'll have more!

Having a look look on here it seems to not have the reliability issues of the D3 so I'm very interested. I'd like an HSE model for the leather interior and have up to around £15K to spend - maybe a bit more if needs be. Is there a guide that explains the different levels of models? What sort of year should I look for - for example there were particular years of D3’s to avoid, is it the same with FL2's? What years were they face lifted? Also, most D3's were auto and the manual was generally slated but looking around, it seems that there are more FL2 manuals than auto ones - is the auto troublesome?

That's all for now - hopefully looking forward to becoming an owner and a regular contributor to this forum.

Post #168061 19th Jan 2013 10:51 am
richardk

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Aintree Green

Welcome Steve

Broadly the FL2s has few issues whether a 2006 model or a 2013 model. There are always some of course - many will have already been picked up and covered under warranty.

The model range has changed over time and as you can imagine new toys come along all the time. If you're looking at a HSE (others models can have leather seats) then each and everyone of them is pretty loaded kit wise.

You might want to look at XS & SE models too I think they had part leather...but leather is an option on all anyway so have a look around.

If you buy from a LR dealer you will get 12 months warranty but you will be paying a higher purchase price - I didn't find any within your budget on LRs website but going just over 15 brought 3 up 06 or 07 year.

Lowering the spec might mean you could get a newer car say a GS model or XS which will still be a great car.

The models ran from 2005/6 through to 2010 without any major changes. Late in 2010 the models gained a silver strip on the tailgate and a diesel particulate filter. Then Autumn 2012 the current version was launched with a new dash and front/rear lights.

I think stop/start TD4e came in around 09/10.

Hope that helps

Post #168069 19th Jan 2013 11:47 am
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

my mrs said that d3 looks like bread van so we bought a RRS, egr valves failed few month ago, but other than that no problems in 15 mths
At the end of the day its just like a fl2 but bigger, air suspension has been handy though to raise the car to ford the endless flooded roads. At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #168070 19th Jan 2013 11:47 am
wizking

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Indus Silver

Wow, lots of questions.
Anyway, welcome and I will answer what I can and I'm sure others will follow. I can't comment on the D3 as I have never owned one. As for the FL2, it has had some issues, some early models had rear diff problems, and the clutch/DMF has been problematic in some cars. Having said that my old 07 plate was 5 years old and done over 50,000 miles and it never missed a beat. The automatic has had very few problems and is well suited to the car, although an auto isn't to everyone's taste.
Yes, there is a 2 wheel drive version from the MY11, my own opinion is, why get a FL2 and not have 4 wheel drive! Never heard of anyone on here removing the rear prop.
The face lift was MY11 which made the more powerful 190bhp SD4 engine available but only in an auto. MY13 has also seen the latest facelift.
The only thing I would recommend is getting a years warranty with the car and checking its service history is complete. I don't know where you are in Essex, but I have used Colchester Lookers Land Rover for the last 3 years and found them faultless.
Use the search for any specific questions as there is not much that hasn't been discussed on here at some time.

Post #168071 19th Jan 2013 11:47 am
ccsnet

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

@richardk.... re dpf... mines an 06 and the manual says I have one?

T Terran

'The' Car For The Modern Day UK Roads ( ie all the pot holes )

'A Freelander that leaks oil is just marking its territory' - Wise words

Now a member of the FL2 'Silly Bill' Club

Post #168078 19th Jan 2013 12:50 pm
EYorkshire

Yours will only have one if it was made for the export market, If it was not for export then it will definitely NOT have one.
A quick look at the VIN will tell someone who has access to Topix. PM 'superspark', I believe he can research the VIN.

Post #168079 19th Jan 2013 12:53 pm
bish789

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Santorini Black

You could remove the prop on the FL1, but I would think that's probably a no no on the FL2 because of the complexity of the system.FL1 was a more "agricultural" 4x4 system.
As everybody has said you can get the 2wd FL2, but why anybody would want one I personally don't know.
Good luck with getting exactly what you want.

Post #168083 19th Jan 2013 1:02 pm
ebygum32

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

Got both within a week two years ago so here goes.......

My D3 05 SE 69k when bought
New front lower arms (well bush went so decided to change both arms) £600 inc 4wheel alignment
New Torque Convertor £3000 but under warranty
New brake pipes (old ones made of mild steel Confused ) warranty by LR
New tyres £600
New brake discs and pads £200
EGR Valves £12
New front wheel bearing £100
Regular servicing costs done at local VAT registered garage

Good points

large boot space inside feels very safe when driving, after new TC very smooth through auto box, even though SE spec full leather heated front and rear seats, HK surround music system, cruise control, xenon headlights, fun to drive, etc etc

Bad points

Expensive to repair if unsure, can be bit heavy on fuel if running around town,

Swmbos FL2 GS 57 36k when bought LR demonstrator
New brake discs and pads LR warranty
MW radio not working correctly
Servicing costs
New tyres twice (just replaced set) £860 x2 sets

Good points

Very nice to drive even swmbo who used to drive small cars found it easy to drive, better MPG than D3

Bad points
Basic spec boot smaller than D3, no low box, no heated seats or leather

Although I noted them in bad points they are available in higher spec FL2's

Right if I had to choose one mmm difficult but if I do get a transfer back home to Yorkshire me and swmbo have chatted and I will probably sell my D3 and upgrade hers then I will just run a D2. Both are fantastic vehicles in there own right, try a test drive in both, if you are up in Leeds anytime give me a shout and you can take em both out if you would like. Speak to LR also to see if you can get some experience vouchers so you have a better knowledge of each vehicle before buying.

Post #168180 19th Jan 2013 11:51 pm
yorkshiregrit

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Bali Blue

I would really love to have Disco (ideally a 4 but even a 3 would be nice!) but as others have said they are A LOT more complex if they do go wrong and the bills to fix them can be eye watering! They are a much more capable vehicle than the FL2 thanks to all that clever (expensive) kit and if you REALLY need that level of capability then you will probably accept the bills (and fuel bill) as the price you pay for being able to go pretty much anywhere the mood takes you!

That said the FL2 is a very capable option, I have had mine up a few green lanes in the Dales and it have never once given me any reason to think that it wouldn't get through! Snow last year and so far this has not troubled it at all so if you want a car that will allow you to get around in the worst weather, perhaps cross a few muddy fields at events and tackle a few of the less taxing green lanes then there isn't much point in paying the higher fuel/tax/repair bills for a Disco!

I get a company car allowance which from experience sets my budget to about £20K which when I was looking (12 months ago) got me a 2 year old FL2 XS with 20k miles on the clock and a few useful extras (tow bar, side steps, front PDC). The same budget would have had me looking at 4+ year old Disco's that where all well out of warranty and a much bigger risk if they turned out to be a lemon.

When looking at the FL2 there are a few things to think about. On a £15K budget you are probably looking at cars about the same age as mine is now (59) or a little older and with something like 40k miles on the clock. If you can find one of the newer TD4e cars these are a lower tax bracket as they produce less emissions in the tests (in reality you will hardly ever use the start/stop but it saves you a few quid a year!)

In terms of models it gets a little bit confusing, starting in 2007 they used to do the cars in 4 specs (S, GS, SE and HSE). S was basic and aimed a commercial users (mainly), GS added useful stuff like Auto lights and wipers and rear parking sensors, SE added Sat Nav and electric seats and HSE had leather, armrests and loads of other toys.

They then added an XS which was like a GS but had part leather, electric seats and that was about it! In 2009 or there abouts they dropped the SE and added Sat Nav to XS ever since the range has been pretty much S, GS, XS, HSE (and now HSE Lux)

There are also the HST and now Dynamic which are basically a "sport" model which sort of sit somewhere between XS and HSE and have a body kit to lower the front and rear bumpers as well as some side skirts. Not really my cup of tea but maybe right for you?

You mention the 2WD version in your post but that was only added to the range in the last 18 months or so and so is likely to be out of your budget unless you found a very early base spec (S) version I expect.

On the manual vs automatic debate there are advantages to both, the manual is more fuel efficient and less to tax, but the auto is believed to be more robust especially if you plan on off-roading or towing in the car.

Post #168183 20th Jan 2013 12:39 am
flylr

2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

DMF/Clutch problems on FL2 of course. If you want a manual, try find one where the clutch and DMF were recently replaced. (Coming) 2016 RR Evoque td4 180 HSE Dynamc
(Going) 2013 TD4 GS Auto - Santorini Black with black leather. Cold Climate, UK Lighting & Armrest Packs. Privacy Glass. LR Rubber Mats. Full size spare.
60 000 miles averaging 35mpg

(Gone) 2010 TD4 Manual GS - Stornoway Grey. Sold at 3yrs old & 64k miles. Final average consumption 39.2mpg.

Post #168186 20th Jan 2013 1:40 am
Pedro

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Galway Green

My neighbour chopped in his D3 for an SD4 FL2 a few months back. Main reason was unreliability of the D3 air suspension and the fuel costs. Their last caravan holiday was ruined by the D3s problems and he is now v happy with the FL2. However, his missus believes that size is everything and thinks that the FL2 interior is too small when they go away with the van, even though they have no kids, and that the FL2 is not as stable as the D3 when towing. But, like I said, he is very happy with his decision and he does the driving ! FL2 HSE Auto Galway Green
Evoque SD4 Auto Blue.
FL1 HSE TD4 Manual Black - Gone.
RR Classic V8 EFI - Gone

Post #168201 20th Jan 2013 11:12 am
Past master

United Kingdom 

If cost is an issue the manual should be cheaper. Petrol version should be much cheaper if you can find one and can afford the petrol.

Post #168251 20th Jan 2013 4:20 pm
Apache

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Indus Silver

We have a Disco 3 and a Freelander 2. I drove a FL2 for 2 years and have driven the Disco for 15 months (wife has a FL2).

Both have had problems, the disco has cost more, but then I got it cheap with 120K so not to surprised.

You don't buy either if you want a cheap to run car.

I get 28mpg from the Disco, wife only gets 30 from her FL2 (although up to mid 30's on a good run).

The Discovery has a better driving position, better off road capability, more space inside. If I was given the choice I'd go for Discovery 100% of the time, although I wouldn't be sad if I had to drive a FL2.

Post #168281 20th Jan 2013 7:07 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Apache wrote:

The Discovery has a better driving position, better off road capability, more space inside. If I was given the choice I'd go for Discovery 100% of the time, although I wouldn't be sad if I had to drive a FL2.

Agreed fl2 is good d3 or rrs is better At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #168291 20th Jan 2013 8:09 pm
hinchy

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Aintree Green

I agree that D3/4 and RRS may be better off road but on road with snow and ice I'm not so sure. Had a Discovery for some years once and it didn't like icey roads one bit.

Post #168296 20th Jan 2013 8:38 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>