Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Is it ok to just replace the front tyres?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Big Dave

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

The Freelander's my mum's so not a second car.

I said unintentionally. I never doubted the Freelander would slide if provoked, haven't said that. The way people are sounding here is that they can't put a new pair of tyres on the front for fear of the rears breaking traction and them skidding off into a ditch. I'm sorry but if people are driving so close to the limit without realising and the only thing keeping them on the road is the stability control cutting in constantly (unless you're specifically provoking/trying to make it slide) then I think you should get booked on an advanced drivers course!

Andy, you may well have yours sliding and that's up to you, I'm sure you know it's going to happen before you pitch into a corner, (as you said its nothing surprising) rather than it catching you off guard 3 or 4 times a day.

The reality is, referring back to this example, if the OP placed new on the front, they won't be in anymore danger of the rears 'stepping out'. The amount of tread left will still give as near as makes no difference as much grip as if they were new. Added bonus, the entire set of 4 will probably be due at the same time.

For reference, oversteer; when the rear steps out, causing you to steer in the opposite direction of the corner to save it

Understeer; when the front pushes on, forcing you to put on more lock than would normally required to avoid running wide. Mine: 2012 Golf GTI Edition 35
Family's: 2009 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Auto, Stornoway

Yorkshire - God's County

Post #167687 17th Jan 2013 12:55 am
djwhyte

Australia 2007 Freelander 2 i6 SE Auto Tambora Flame

It does sound like all of you drive your cars like you stole them Razz 1st time FL2 owner. 2007 SE i6 in Tambora Flame.

Post #167690 17th Jan 2013 4:42 am
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

you would think they were driving sports cars !!

I certainly didn't buy the FL2 to drive it fast through bends, etc that's not what it's designed for.

Iain

Post #167695 17th Jan 2013 9:25 am
JST

France 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Narvik Black

I agree with what Big Dave says...if you drive a Freelander 2 too fast you reap the results. However, back to the OP, the advice is still to put new tyres on the back. The extreme example is emergency braking on curve on a wet road. All the weight shifts to the front and the arse end will have a job to hang on so you need as much grip as you can get there. It all demonstrates the nonsense of the 1.5 mm legal limit. Should be more like 3mm IMHO. John
07 HSE Narvick Black
Land Rover Series One
Triumph Rocket 111 (sadly gone!)

Post #167714 17th Jan 2013 11:22 am
mikehzz

Australia 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Lago Grey

wizking wrote:
In case of blowout. Much easier to handle a front blowout rather than a rear, so recommend best tyres on rear.

I've had both front and rear blow outs over the years and i would take a rear any day. Barely any effect on steering in my experience, on one car I wasn't even sure what had happened as it was a rough road. The rear passenger tyre was in shreds. When the front blows it is like someone wrenching the steering wheel sideways, then its hang on and try to keep the car straight. Of course if you slam the brakes on then you can flip it on either.

Post #167734 17th Jan 2013 2:02 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Got to agree a rear blowout is preferable anyday.

This one slowed me down, but despite being heavily laden there was little effect on the steering.
Travelling too fast, airborne, laded on a lump of rock, goodbye almost new tyre. Crying or Very sad

Dave, thanks for the reminder Thumbs Up as I do get the oversteer/understeer terminology mixed up.

And yes Gents she will never be a Lotus or even a Golf in the handling stakes, but she handles well for a softly sprung 2 tonne 4x4 Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #167884 18th Jan 2013 1:07 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12