« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Glow plugs or not?????
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
tomle3

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey
Glow plugs or not?????

I know this has been covered before but.
Got up to to go to work this morning in -14c. Cleared snow etc of car. pressed start button and engine cranked straight away without a pause but failed to start did this several times until battery was dead. Eventually started after recharging battery and about an hour of trying she coughed into life.

As I understand it. There should be a pause after you press the button but before cranking to heat the glow plugs why is this not happening. Is it faulty plugs or a software glitch. Or is the even a air temp sensor to decide weather plugs are needed that could be faulty.

I have checked 5 amp fuse in engine bay and it is fine.

Next step is to get it looked at by stealer as I have a few months warranty left but have heard engine needs to be stripped to test plugs. And this is chargeable if no fault found. What shall I do??

Is a 07 freelander GS purchased used from dealer that's why I have warranty on such an old vehicle.

Post #167659 16th Jan 2013 10:48 pm
Pegleg

Wales 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

Yes, there should be a delay at such low temps to heat the plugs.
My 08 was several seconds today before it cranked and it was only -2C.
Only the dealer can fix this. At a guess, software mod should sort it. Another member of the failed FL2 clutch/DMF club, twice.

Post #167660 16th Jan 2013 10:52 pm
dunkley201

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

You & me both Pegleg! Thumbs Up 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

08 FL2 TD4 SE Manual in Rimini Red (Now Gone)

Post #167663 16th Jan 2013 10:57 pm
mike e

Wales 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

on some 2007 there is no delay. just press the button without foot on the clutch a couple of times and then start as usual.

Post #167683 16th Jan 2013 11:53 pm
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Tomle3: I have recenty experianced the same as you. The result was a visit to the dealers who checked for various possible causes but resulted in that three of the glow plugs were found to be faulty and all 4 were replaced. Since then no problems starting in temperatures down to at least -22 after being parked for several days.
Mine is also a 2007 mod. and have always experianced the glow plug delay and dashboard lamp coming on in cold temperatures, so this should work on early models also. 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #167692 17th Jan 2013 8:22 am
tomle3

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

Mike e - tried your idea this morning and didnt work -12 today and car still failed to start thanks anyway

Andy c - have booked car into hunters kings lynn but they cannot see it until monday so hope it will warm up soon might be without a car for few days

Post #167699 17th Jan 2013 10:11 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

-5c this morning and the car, had a little shuddered, dash display went off and then started

But it did have a few seconds pause before starting, does that sound like glow plugs?

also are glow plugs covered on the LR extended warranty Question Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #167700 17th Jan 2013 10:15 am
EYorkshire

Just a refresher for those who haven't seen it, the engine cranking delay times against temperature are shown in this link.
https://www.freel2.com/gallery/displayimag...amp;pos=46

This morning after pressing start with my foot on the brake, mine was quiet for about 4 to 5 seconds before cranking, the outside temperature was -11 degrees. As soon as it cranked it fired up although a bit 'uneven' for a few seconds

Post #167702 17th Jan 2013 10:26 am
superspark

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue

While you waited, if you happen to be looking at the instrument cluster you would see a message telling you that engine cranking will begin shortley. This is because the car has decided its to cold to start and ingauges the heater plugs to aid cold starting. The last time it happened to me it was -11. I was wondering why it wouldnt start and just happened to be looking at the instrument pannel.

Post #167737 17th Jan 2013 2:19 pm
Pete The Biker

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

EYorkshire wrote:
Just a refresher for those who haven't seen it, the engine cranking delay times against temperature are shown in this link.
https://www.freel2.com/gallery/displayimag...amp;pos=46

My 2007 (57 plate) HSE Auto didn't show the glow plug light or the "delayed cranking" warning at -5 degrees yesterday. It cranked straight away; it struggled to start although to be fair the battery is probably on its way out (original Exide?).

I spoke to the dealer who was very vague about it, and seemed to think that as it did start there wasn't a problem. The car is under warranty so i want it right, but I can foresee being fobbed off.

Could you please confirm what the source of the data in that link is - I can't find that table in the parts of Topix I have. It would be good to have something with LR provenance on it to wave at the dealers if necessary!

Many thanks

Pete

Post #167743 17th Jan 2013 2:44 pm
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

Quote:
just press the button without foot on the clutch a couple of times and then start as usual.

I remain unconvinced that this makes any difference. The documentation is ambiguous, but the way I read it is that the glowplugs won't be energised unless a start cycle has been initiated. Logically, why would they be? If you're not about to start the engine you don't need the pre-heat and would just be wasting battery power!

Post #167745 17th Jan 2013 3:08 pm
wizking

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Indus Silver

+1 Logical thinking pab.

Post #167747 17th Jan 2013 3:30 pm
Lotuzz

Belgium 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Baltic Blue

Do we get an error when there is a faulty glow plug?

Post #167767 17th Jan 2013 5:49 pm
seagull1

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Sumatra Black

I am having the same starting problems yesterday it glow pluged OK, delayed start with glow plug light but failed to start at the first attempt but reluctantly started on the second try.
Just had it serviced by Stratstone Notts and asked for a price for changing the glow plugs, they could not give an approx cost as "they have never had a freelander2 with faulty glow plugs" so would want an open check book, and the computer shows no faults.
At the moment it glow plugs at random sometimes it glow plugs at -1 and sometimes not at -3.

Richard FL2 07 TD4 GS Auto
Ex 02 TD4 Auto

Post #167769 17th Jan 2013 6:30 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
landy19840

Israel 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

You are looking at 3 hours for land rover to do this job. It takes forever to get to the glow plugs and about 30 seconds to actually change them!

Post #167773 17th Jan 2013 6:38 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>