Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > The LR2, it works good...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
LRswe

2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Zermatt Silver
The LR2, it works good...

hi guys.. Today I was with LR here in sweden, and they had put on food, clay shooting and cars to drive... A bunch of us were invited up from the club, and were of course free to take out own cars around the trails as well.

So, I call my neighbour.. a city boy (read 34yrs old) that had never slept in a tent until a month ago. (I gave him his own tent in a bid to reduce caravan numbers, a preemptive strike so to speak...)

"hey mate... fancy learning to drive a car offroad and shoot some clay pigeons with me this weekend?"
"oh hell yeah!, oh, wait... let me check with the wife....."

So, the return call comes, he has a green light, so I tell him to pack up 2 pairs of shoes, and a camera.

I have driven the trails a lot in my Defender, and I know that when it gets wet, they just get shredded up and it becomes a massive mess... but, I will take my LR2, simply because of all the elbow jabbing from the guys.. and I will get around solo. (the pressure was mounting as I had previously stated online "I am bringing my LR2 just to prove to the defender owners they got the wrong car)

It doesnt start good... we get up there and its so wet and slippery LR wont let the shiny cars go around, its road tests only for those, and defenders for the trails.. I am getting worried, and somehow I am 3rd in line with about 20 cars behind me.

We trundle around the first part of the course, just muddy tracks, with rock gardens, nothing severe - in fact, only just enough to spill your tea.. then we get to the hill sections. A road that runs straight from base to top, then hairpins 180 degrees to point straight back down again.. rinse and repeat with some roots, rocks, and water obsticles 4 times before we are into some really tight stuff that a defender cant get around because if its crappy turning circle...

Anyway.. at the base of the first climb I see the first defender making a charge... he is running some nice tyres and the pilot is making sure that the Td5 is staying on the turbo, Low range, second gear, difflock...

Next up is a Disco 2, same deal.. he makes the charge, but hits some bumps halfway up.. and he is breaking traction, soon enough he is just sitting there halfway up the hill... and I am starting to get nervous... especially when he tried to come back down without using reverse and locking up...

He finally gets up and round the first turn, and next up its me. By this time, everyone is out of their car, looking at the drama before realizing that the next car up is an experienced driver, with no difflock and a big mouth... Defender owners are now huddling together like a pack of wolves, ready to make a kill and pointing to make sure everyone in the group knows exactly what the target is...

MUD AND RUTS.

I turn to Christian and check he has his belt on, and camly tell him what is about to happen and not to panic if we stop on the hill like the discovery. If he wants out, then I understand. He remains stedfast and insists I go for it.

1st gear, 1500rpm and she climbed like a dream. I really must admit I was surprised myself, with a bit of driver input to prevent the car jumping, or sitting on its nuts - it was easy, the car just took care if itself, all I had to do was sit there and say thanks really....

So, now I am starting to wonder.. how much is this down to the car?.. After a couple of rounds, Christian is starting to get used to the climbs, decents and general potential for serious harm.. I constantly explain what I am doing and then ask him if he would like to try driving afterwards.

He said that he would, but only if I was instructing from the pass seat... so I agreed and off we went..

Again, we all made it around fine. I would actually love to see anything in its class try to outperfom it today, but to be honest, I doubt anything could.. its just that good.

Pretty much everyone had exactly the same reaction as I did. What an absolute marvel to watch.. Suddenly I was the best friend of all the wives though... wierd considering that there was an Evoque there... but, if you are into attracting practical married women, which james bond once said was his greatest challenge... Then the LR2 is certaintly for you.

Me today! : )

Click image to enlarge

Post #158192 21st Oct 2012 12:36 am
wizking

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Indus Silver

Brilliant. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #158195 21st Oct 2012 7:19 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

Excellent write up Thumbs Up

And looks like another photo for the callender Thumbs Up Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #158199 21st Oct 2012 8:52 am
hinchy

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Aintree Green

Thanks LRswe for this good post Thumbs Up

Post #158201 21st Oct 2012 9:18 am
jaksbak@freel2

Australia 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

Nice story LRswe. The LR2 continues to over-deliver on it's off-road abilities relative to people's perceptions.

Post #158976 28th Oct 2012 8:30 am
taztastic

England 

Great Stuff LRE Thumbs Up

Post #158980 28th Oct 2012 9:34 am
dunkley201

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Great myth exploding, LRswe! Keep it up! Thumbs Up 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

08 FL2 TD4 SE Manual in Rimini Red (Now Gone)

Post #159000 28th Oct 2012 11:02 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1