Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Technical (Noise From The Rear Of My Freelander 2)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
Charly7

Scotland 
Re: Noise from rear diff?

Just had a quick look underneath the rear, there is evidence of fluid leak on the rear RH diff mount

Click image to enlarge

Post #156263 2nd Oct 2012 4:33 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

that pic shows a freelander one.

noise from rear diff normallly means a failed bearing,, £500 ish to fix or warrenty At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #156264 2nd Oct 2012 4:51 pm
Mona Geeza

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Stornoway Grey

Its the diff pinion support bearing, just had mine done, whining, went from silent to extremely noisy in a period of 3 days, cost £400, about 4 hours work they said, but was done under warranty in my case.
Now back to normal.

Post #156288 2nd Oct 2012 8:22 pm
Charly7

Scotland 

Thanks for replies guys Surprised They have the parts today, and will fix it next week Very Happy

Post #156374 3rd Oct 2012 6:39 pm
Gigby

Belgium 

hanray wrote:
Re the noisy rear diff. If you whinge enough, The dealer will reduce the cost. It is an inherent problem which apparently is due to the way the on-board computer is set up. may be worth asking your dealer to check the setup prior to the fault showing up when next in for a service or as a precautionary measure.

Hi everyone,
Does anybody know more about this? I've had my diff replaced/repaired 3 or 4 times now... Last time was about a week ago. I had the bearings and seals changed. I would really like to know what causes it to fail and if there's a way of fixing it. How should the on-board computer be set up and what are the effects of that?
Thank you

Post #170809 7th Feb 2013 12:39 pm
Gigby

Belgium 

Bazza Boy wrote:

Cause: Pinion tail bearing spalling caused by subsurface material deformation. Cause of subsurface deformation is static overload

Now i'm no expert and my knowledge comes from forums and websites, but basically what i get from that is that for some reason the bearing fails because it can't bear the high axial force which causes deformation which in long term causes spalling. Could the reason be wrong bearings (in term of material, not strong enough) or wrong lubricant (for light loads only) or could it be due to a wrong setting on the on board computer? but then changing that setting could create other problems, or reduce the car's performance (just thinking out loud here)
Anyway, please let me know what you think and if you've found a permanent solution.
Thanks

Post #170811 7th Feb 2013 1:02 pm
IngoP

Germany 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Tonga Green

Hi,

is it possible to change Bearing without any special special tool at home by myself ?
Here in Germany LR Dealer wants to get about 900 € plus VAT ....

I FEEL SICK

Ingo

Bazza Boy wrote:
Hi There
Rear Differential Lower Level Repair
concern of excessive humming noise and or rumble or high pitched whine coming form the rear of the vehicle, diagnosis identifies the noise is coming from the rear differential assembly
Cause: Pinion tail bearing spalling caused by subsurface material deformation. Cause of subsurface deformation is static overload
Parts Required
Description Part Number Quantity
Pinion Tail Bearing - Inner Raceway - Outer Raceway LR023441 x1
Pinion Seal LR023442 x1
Side Shaft Seals LR023440 x2
Collapsible Spacer LR023443 x1
Rubber ring replacement when separating /removing the rear differential from Haldex coupling LR002888 x1
Differential case seal LR030846 x1
Nut LR023439 x1
(Pinion Tail Bearing is Main Bearing At Fault For The Noise)
Hope This Helps
Shocked Smile

Post #179191 8th Apr 2013 8:38 am
theminch

England 
Rear Diff repair

Just had my FL 2 2010 sport LE in for 45k service at a cost of £389 inc VAT, mentioned to the dealer of a noise from the rear which i thought may be a wheel bearing which turns out to be a rear diff bearing failure. The unfortunate thing is my warranty is out by 3 weeks but they say LR may foot some of the bill, cost quoted for repair is £537 + VAT. Have only had the car 12 months and have to say i love the car but am very disappointed with this failure on the diff, will LR contribute to the repair ? just hope this is not the shape of things to come as like i said i love the car, will see next Monday when it goes in, fingers and toes crossed.

Post #181304 22nd Apr 2013 4:18 pm
rchrdleigh

England 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Baltic Blue

Get in touch with Liam@LandRover who works in LR Customer Services and is a forum member. Explain the problem to him as nicely as you can manage and see what he can do.

Post #181316 22nd Apr 2013 5:39 pm
theminch

England 

Thanks for that info, will do that.

Post #181321 22nd Apr 2013 6:42 pm
theminch

England 

Just to add was very satisfied today with the service I received at Rocar Moores at Huddersfield.

Post #181326 22nd Apr 2013 7:22 pm
theminch

England 

Had rear diff repair today costing £469 inc VAT. LR stumped up 25% to cost as it was only 3 weeks out of warranty. Have to say expected more of a contribution from LR but what option did i have. Hoping now for trouble free motoring.

Post #182174 29th Apr 2013 4:41 pm
Jordl2

Australia 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Zermatt Silver

Hi all,

I realise that this is an old post. However, has anyone had success in resolving the issues described here? I see some have had mixed success.

I have a similar issue with my 08 FL2 - noise emanating from the rear, right hand side. Diff has been replaced twice already. Noise is still there.

Thanks.

Post #186663 6th Jun 2013 5:49 am
Tinytim

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

We had a rumbling noise coming from the right rear and after searching on here and talking to the local dealer thought it to be the diff. After booking in to the dealer for an investigation it turned out to be coming from the rear shock absorber, £700 for the pair to be replaced, luckily got the garage we bought it from to sort it out and all is now quiet, apart from a knock when braking that has appeared since they were replaced Rolling Eyes

Post #186745 6th Jun 2013 9:51 pm
Albert E

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey
Update

Still got noise from rear of car after over two years. Main dealer is about to replace the diff again!
They have done the bearing job (no Improvement), replaced the complete diff in 2012, Replaced rear tyres (this helped briefly but then were stepped-what is the root cause of this? Mechanical defect?)) and re-set rear suspension geometry. Replaced rear wheel bearing.
Now going to fit another new diff. The car has done a little more than 13,000miles. On its 3rd diff? Can I keep it when it is out of warranty? I'm not sure that a part fitted during the warranty has its own warranty from the date it was fitted, or does it expire when the car is three?
It is very difficult for me to drive it with this noise all the time, and I will use my older Saab in preference if it is suitable for my needs.
I am paranoid about this now, and it gives me disproportionate stress which I can do without. Apart from this its not a bad vehicle, but a Skoda or Dacia is looking appealing and I have run Land Rovers for over forty years.
Time for another dose of tranquillisers. I didn't get where I am today by being sensible!

Post #227612 20th Jun 2014 4:40 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 5 <12345>