« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Sat Nav opinions
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Kal-El

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Stornoway Grey
Sat Nav opinions

Tomorrow will be the first time I properly use the sat nav but I did test it briefly the other day on my way home from work and it did warn of traffic build up.

What do you guys think of the LR sat nav? 60 plate SD4 XS, Stornoway Grey, Arm rest pack

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ly--gT1RJdk

Post #152328 25th Aug 2012 8:30 pm
bbjoca

Sweden 

I have to say I am pretty satisfied with mine. It gets me where I want to go. I tried it out during a Europe trip and the only things I can complain about is
a) the voices - all women... Sad and it doesn't matter which language I choose. I have a hard time hearing those frequencies so I have to boost the voice and then people complain about getting as deaf as I am...
b) TCM-system is crap - mainly because there is no difference between the work areas on the roads. They will always generate "There is slow traffic" - even in the middle of the night when there is NO traffic... so we ended up not believing a word she was saying... and, eventually, turning the s Censored t off. It's never too late to learn something new...

Post #152331 25th Aug 2012 8:36 pm
kimosabe

2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

One thing i'd say about using any Satnav, is that it's a guide and not something to completely depend upon. Read the road and traffic movements. Keep an upto date map in the car with you.

I live in Brighton and on a journey along the seafront to Hove, I can tell (to a high degree of accuracy) which drivers are relying on their Satnavs for guidance, instead of reading the road. Brighton hasn't changed that much and the car parks haven't moved but when a driver travels in the left hand lane, then suddenly cuts across two lanes in order to turn right into a car park filter lane (the alternative would be to drive onto the pavement on the left), that'll be because they weren't looking at the road or using their own judgement to help them. The same thing happens all over town and there are often enormous queues of traffic heading both into and out of town, while adjacent lanes lay empty, because Satnavs replace thinking.

As for the LR Satnav, I have read a few forum posts which show LR Satnavs don't behave any differently to TomToms etc, so it's likely that without applying reasonable thinking to driving, that they'll lead an unwitting driver into the same avoidable situations as any other Satnav.

I treat my Satnav as something which tells me something, which I then compare to what I see.

Hope sharing this helps. Also hope you're enjoying your new car as much as I hope to if I eventually sell mine and buy an FL2. Smile Whereabouts unknown stop going to follow stream until reach civilisation stop message ends

Post #152332 25th Aug 2012 8:45 pm
bbjoca

Sweden 

I totally agree with Kimosabe!!!!
don't let it replace your brain... It's never too late to learn something new...

Post #152334 25th Aug 2012 8:50 pm
archie98

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

LR sat nav is good but very expensive to update,TomTom built into the dash as some on here have done is better option.

Post #152401 26th Aug 2012 12:51 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

bbjoca wrote:
don't let it replace your brain...

Case in point is the road to Holy Island. Satnavs don't notice that it's under a LOT of sea for 8 hours a day!

Post #152412 26th Aug 2012 2:00 pm
rjc1944

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Mine's pretty good really but I totally agree that it shouldn't replace the brain (or in my case my navigation system in the front seat whom I married 42 years ago).

I think the speed with which it picks one of the 3 options for any route is too quick for you to study them and make your own decision. She (for she is called Hilary) certainly knows some tiny lanes down here - I blame her for the scratches down both sides from vegetation on a particularly narrow overgrown lane near Newquay! Ours - 2008 Stornoway Grey HSE Auto
Tricia's - 2006 Royal Blue Beetle Cabriolet Auto
Mine - 2014 Vespa GTS 300 Super Sport Matt Black
Ours - 2007 White Bailey Pageant Champagne

Post #152415 26th Aug 2012 2:32 pm
kimosabe

2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

Past master wrote:
bbjoca wrote:
don't let it replace your brain...

Case in point is the road to Holy Island. Satnavs don't notice that it's under a LOT of sea for 8 hours a day!

Mont St Michel, Brittany has/had similar issues and despite the signs, some cars and campers don't make it, simply because some people don't read or believe the signs.

I believe Kal-El's original question was about the quality of LR satnav. Being as he hasn't yet responded, I hope he's out there finding out the easy way. He doesn't happen to live near Holy Island, does he? Wink Whereabouts unknown stop going to follow stream until reach civilisation stop message ends

Post #152425 26th Aug 2012 5:36 pm
bbjoca

Sweden 

Quote:
She (for she is called Hilary) certainly knows some tiny lanes down here - I blame her for the scratches down both sides from vegetation on a particularly narrow overgrown lane near Newquay!

Oh! You named yours?
Have you guys noticed that there are actually TWO women's voices? I call mine Trinny and Suzanna... you may wonder why... Laughing It's never too late to learn something new...

Post #152426 26th Aug 2012 6:04 pm
parallax33

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Baltic Blue

To be honest, I gave up on built in satnav is because they just don't seem to be as usable as, Tom Tom.

Now I use Tom Tom on the iPhone in a Tom Tom dock. It works very very well, but I do miss the appearance of a built in unit. 2012 DISCOVERY 4 GS AUTO ORKNEY GREY
2012 FREELANDER 2 SD4 GS AUTO BALTIC BLUE - GONE
2011 FREELANDER 2 TD4 GS MANUAL BALI BLUE - GONE

Post #152427 26th Aug 2012 6:04 pm
Kal-El

Well I used it today and am happy with how it performed but I have a question please. I read the manual but couldn't seem to work out how to switch the voice directions on. If I pressed the button at the bottom of the screen, the voice repeated the last command which was directed by the map.

Is there a way of having the voice constantly on? 60 plate SD4 XS, Stornoway Grey, Arm rest pack

Post #152429 26th Aug 2012 6:38 pm
ad210358

England 

I thought the voice was always on unless you muted it, or cleared the route Question

Post #152434 26th Aug 2012 7:48 pm
rchrdleigh

England 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Baltic Blue

Voice guidance can be turned on or off by using the Voice Guidance button on the Main Menu Screen.

http://topix.landrover.jlrext.com/topix/co...;id=179220

then click on Navigation system to bring up the right page.

Post #152438 26th Aug 2012 8:06 pm
Kal-El

Thanks for that Thumbs Up 60 plate SD4 XS, Stornoway Grey, Arm rest pack

Post #152448 26th Aug 2012 8:46 pm
Mav71

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Well it has once again got me to the south of France and back again with no mistakes. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #152471 26th Aug 2012 9:56 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>