« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > I would appreciate your advice on a future purchase
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
wilburforce

United Kingdom 
I would appreciate your advice on a future purchase

I am seriously considering a FL2, ever since I let my Kuga go over a year ago I miss the 4X4 experience, great visibility and safety.

I appreciate that forums can be a place to air issues and problems, after some time reading LR forums I have come to the conclusion the FL2 is a reliable vehicle or as reliable as any other, so that aside I’d like to know a few more facts. If possible I would appreciate your advice on the following:

1. I am a little confused over TD4e and TD4, I am looking for a 2011 registered vehicle with start stop “e” seems to be more economical, what is the difference?
2. I am looking at a XS as I like the SatNav – is this a good choice?
3. I don’t think I can afford a HSE but I do like the seats with the armrests, could I get an XS and add the two Armrests as a retro fit?
4. Budget 20.5K would that be OK or too much to pay?
5. I am not a mad drives (fast) can I expect 35-40 Mpg on the motorway?
6. Is the LR warranty 3 years covering all parts etc..even if I am the second owner?
7. Can I buy an extended warranty from LR and what would the cost be?
8. I am based in Aylesbury are there any recommended places to purchase?
9. Is there anything to look out for?

Regards

Paul

Post #151968 22nd Aug 2012 8:42 pm
landy19840

Israel 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

1.e=stop start technology or 2wd version, can't remember which
2.i think the sat nav is good, it looks rubbish without one with the gaping hole
3.you can get what's called a wood company armrest for the centre console, I have one very good
4.u should get a good motor for that
5.probs 35 on motorway
6.yes warranty is 3 years
7.yes, pricey tho
8.lookers park royal, I. Believe a good trip out!
9.yes! Power steering issues, rear diff, clutch issues on manuals

Post #151969 22nd Aug 2012 8:48 pm
parallax33

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Baltic Blue

Hi Paul,

Do a search for member Kal-El. He has just bought the car you are looking for. If you look at his posts you will find all those answers and more...

Will make good reading before you commit and when you are waiting for your car Thumbs Up 2012 DISCOVERY 4 GS AUTO ORKNEY GREY
2012 FREELANDER 2 SD4 GS AUTO BALTIC BLUE - GONE
2011 FREELANDER 2 TD4 GS MANUAL BALI BLUE - GONE

Post #151974 22nd Aug 2012 9:16 pm
Kal-El

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Stornoway Grey

Hi,

I can't recommend my new motor enough! Here is a post about it: http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic12936.html
Dealer had it at £20,495. 60 plate 27k miles but it's new price was £33k so a lot of car for the deal I managed to get.

In answer to your questions:

1. TD4_e is the manual version from 59 plate onwards I reckon, that has stop/start feature
2. XS is very nice and my first sat nav test will be this weekend but the clock screensaver is good
3. My armrests are nice and were fitted at new by the original owner. Wood company would be a safe bet otherwise
4. As above, that's what mine was listed at and it is good value I think. Especially as it is the SD4 with 190bhp and 310 lb ft of torque - auto box
5. I gave the SD4 the beans today in sport mode and did some town driving and got 31mpg which is good to say I drove it like that. My usual approach of a nice steady cruise saw 40mpg
6. Warranty continues regardless of how many owners and is fully comprehensive on all but 'wear and tear' Rolling Eyes
7. £500 or £850 with breakdown cover I think. Auto box has less to worry about though in terms of likelihood of failure
8. Guy Salmon did me a great deal if they have a dealership in your area try them. I drove 50 miles to them it was such a good deal
9. As landy said, clutch on the manuals but other than that I hear good things - There will always be some 'Friday cars' out there but that's true of any brand.

Good hunting Thumbs Up 60 plate SD4 XS, Stornoway Grey, Arm rest pack

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ly--gT1RJdk

Post #151975 22nd Aug 2012 9:29 pm
wilburforce

United Kingdom 
Thanks

Guys I really appreciate your feedback, I intent to start looking this weekend...I will let you know how I get on

Paul

Post #151976 22nd Aug 2012 9:34 pm
Kal-El

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Stornoway Grey
Re: Thanks

wilburforce wrote:
Guys I really appreciate your feedback, I intent to start looking this weekend...I will let you know how I get on

Paul

Excellent. I have been blown away by the all round performance of the SD4 auto. Smooth and refined yet powerful and economical. You must try one even if it is not the specific one you are after, just try it and see. Thumbs Up 60 plate SD4 XS, Stornoway Grey, Arm rest pack

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ly--gT1RJdk

Post #151977 22nd Aug 2012 9:36 pm
ad210358

England 
Re: Thanks

wilburforce wrote:

Paul

Don't get despondent when you meet the sales staff down the Buckingham Road, there are other dealers, LPR are worth a visit if not a chat. Thumbs Up

Post #151978 22nd Aug 2012 9:42 pm
GJH0702

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Sumatra Black

I have a manual XS TD4 with stop start- 2011 model year but its not an 'E' -is the 'E' not the two wheel drive Freelander ? 2011 XS,Sumatra Black, GONE MARCH 2014- RR Evoque Prestige 5 door ,MY 2014,Loire Blue, Silver Roof, Panoramic roof.
MY 2016 Disco Sport HSE Auto Scotia Grey,REJECTED
Mercedes E220D AMG line with air suspension(Gone)
DS 200 SE Dynamic my 21 (Gone)
DS 200 SE Dynamic my 22 (Gone)
Audi Q5 40TDI S line (gone)
Discovery Sport D200 S 2024 MY

Post #151979 22nd Aug 2012 9:55 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

GJH0702 wrote:
I have a manual XS TD4 with stop start- 2011 model year but its not an 'E' -is the 'E' not the two wheel drive Freelander ?

TD4-e is the stop start on pre-facelift cars. ed4 is the 2WD version. Must have stopped the TD4-e moniker for MY11 onwards. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #151981 22nd Aug 2012 9:59 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

You might have a look at Marshalls Bedford - not far from you and they have seemed in the past to have slightly lower prices. Expensive for servicing though. Don't forget to negotiate a free LR Experience as part of the deal. Worth trying for a spare wheel and jack if there isn't already one fitted.

Post #152182 24th Aug 2012 4:23 pm
Krispykirstie

2011 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

Hi, just bought mine from stratstone. Now im not recommending them as a dealer. But they have just bought 300 1 year old ex landrover company cars all freelanders. So they have a lot to get rid of. Mine was in Aylesbury...funnily enough... but they weren't willing to give me a good part ex price. Strastone lotus in leicester were so i got the car moved to there and bought it from them Very Happy

However its not been as easy as it could have been... I don't find them the most customer friendly... But they had a great car at a good price and with s bit if manipulation on my part i got a good deal.

Oh and remember if the car @ stratstone ends in a 1 its the first price 6 is the last.

Post #152199 24th Aug 2012 5:11 pm
Hicksy

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Fuji White

Wouldn't go looking at stratstones in aylesbury , I did no help at all 

Click image to enlarge

Freelander gone
Audi sold
Volvo xc60 r design coming

Post #152255 24th Aug 2012 10:42 pm
ad210358

England 

Krispykirstie wrote:
But they have just bought 300 1 year old ex landrover company cars all freelanders. So they have a lot to get rid of.

They are very careful what they say, did they actually say they have bought 100 ex LR Company Cars, or they have just bought 100 one year old cars from LR, which they may well have done, I would take a guess at ex Enterprise Question

Post #152258 24th Aug 2012 11:00 pm
Krispykirstie

2011 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

300 Shocked ex land Rover management co cars. Told this by strastone sales in several branches. Others told me they can't compete at the moment as Stratstone have bought so many Question
I know someone whos father worked for Saab, he and 3 family members got cars from them to use for very cheap for 9/12 months before being replaced.... This was to provide them with year old stock to sell apparently. Exclamation

And yes Aylesbury were rubbish, but if you want you can move cars around within the group, which is worth knowing...

Anyway am not saying Stratstone are great- they aren't- just passing on some info. I cannot verify that it's 100% accurate either.... But talked to my local dealer in Reading (Listers), and 4 Strastone dealers all said the same.

Make of it what you will Smile

Post #152261 24th Aug 2012 11:20 pm
ad210358

England 

SCensorede buy lots of the ex fleet LR cars that LR supply to the Enterprise fleet for use with the LR Assist they run them for a few months and LR take them back and are then sold on the forecourts. I know I bought one and at the time was led to believe that they were ex LR Fleet, they were sort of but not really.

Post #152265 24th Aug 2012 11:47 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>