Home > General > To purchase??
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
surfingmonkey

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black
To purchase??

Hello,

Been a member her for a while but not used the site much. I used to have a Freelander 1 Td4 Auto Adventurer on a 55 plate. Unfortunately it got written off in January during high winds when a large metal roof landed on it! Having been let down by it (again) on a trip to Scotland in the Nov and a £500 repair bill, I decided maybe it was time to go back to a car.

I bought a Ford fiesta Zetec-S. I lasted about 2 months without a Land Rover. This was partly because I help to run a scout campsite and a car really isn't practical. So, I bought a 51 plate Freelander Td4 GS Auto....and kept the fiesta too.

Recently I've been thinking running 2 cars for just one person perhaps isn't the most sensible idea. I've also been spending a bit of time in a friend's FL2 and thinking perhaps that is the answer to my current situation.

Having had a look, decent FL2 GS Td4 Autos have become more affordable, local dealer even had an 09 plate one in for less than £14k.

So, general thoughts please... Have you got a GS? Did the upholstery change for 09 cars onwards? Is there anything you miss on it spec wise? I'll def be getting a rear spolier for it.

I'm a Land Rover fan and very aware they're not the most reliable vehicles but the FL2 doesn't appear to have the numerous endemic problems that the 1 did. Unless anybody is going to tell me different?

Thanks for letting me ramble.

Dave

Post #147698 4th Jul 2012 8:44 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Hi there. GS spec is the best all rounder, no question. I had mine from new and for the price I paid, I could have bought a used XS or HSE but it was GS all the way for me.

The only thing missing that for me is a godsend to have, is heated windscreen. I opted for the cold climate pack which adds this and heated washer jets. Worth keeping an eye out for any GS's where the previous owner added the heated windscreen.

As for changes I cannot comment for definite as my first and current FL2 is a 2010 model but I believe there were some tweaks to the audio system. Mine is an Alpine system with a subwoofer in the boot and a bluetooth hands free system integrated. It is an excellent system with an AUX port and much better than the standard system I have listened to in courtesy FL2's which have mostly been 'S' models.

Some owners of cars with the LR in built sat nav have complained it isn't a patch on a TomTom for example so I certainly don't miss that. The seats are very comfortable and supportive and being cloth, there is no necessity for heated seats like I had in my old Fiesta ST which was full leather. Now that did need them! Dual zone climate control and cruise control has long been a standard GS feature I believe, as have power folding mirrors.

It has in my opinion, the best looking alloy wheels of the lot. Lovely and chunky and easy to clean, multi spoke one's are a pain as I know from previous cars.

In a nutshell, the GS has all the stuff you are realistically going to need and it gets a big thumbs up from What Car? as bringing the best balance to ownership.

One tip though, the standard headlight bulbs are crap. I upgraded to Halfords ultra brilliance +120% and the difference is amazing for the sake of £30. I also purchased some LED Xenon sidelight bulbs on Ebay because the new headlight bulbs made the sidelights look a horrible dingy yellow colour.

Hope this helps! Very Happy LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #147700 4th Jul 2012 9:10 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Moved to 'general' section

I think your right looking at the auto, more reliable than the manual which has occasional clutch issues

There's threads covering this on here Thumbs Up

Apparat from that I would say they are more reliable than the FL1, from what others say,

Post #147701 4th Jul 2012 9:13 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

P.S, here's some recent scenic shots of my GS in Scotland Very Happy : http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic12368.html LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #147702 4th Jul 2012 9:16 pm
surfingmonkey

Thanks Doc!

I completely agree that the GS alloys are the best. I love heated front screens and was very disappointed my latest Ford hasn't got one when the previous version of the same model did.

I usually upgrade my headlights to Phillips BlueVision Ultra anyway so that's no problem Smile

Thanks for moving the post to.

Post #147703 4th Jul 2012 9:19 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

No problem my friend. Here is a link to those LED sidelights I mentioned. They look great: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-8-LED-501-T1...1606237765 LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #147706 4th Jul 2012 9:59 pm
Barton Freelander

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Lago Grey

If you fancy a GS manual mine is up for sale soon to fund my new Evoque.see sig strip for details. Smile Freelander2 GS TD4 Manual in Lago Grey Smile .Roof Mount DVD 9.2''Screen~Window Tints~Parrot CK3100 Bluetooth~Retro Fit Sony Satnav~iPhone Dashmount~Side Steps~Woodco Armrest~Mudflaps~Land Rover Sunglass Holder~LED Interior Lights~Private Plate.Evoque Collected 17th Sept 2012.

Also Audi TT Roadster.Smile

Post #147711 4th Jul 2012 10:14 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
darryloh

United Kingdom 

Certainly not wanting to offend anybody, but I think GS models look rather run of the mill. I much prefer my HSE Whistle

Post #147802 5th Jul 2012 10:29 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

darryloh wrote:
Certainly not wanting to offend anybody, but I think GS models look rather run of the mill. I much prefer my HSE Whistle

From the outside you can (if you wish) add bits so that they look no different. In any case, the HSE alloys aren't a patch on GS alloys IMO. Also, I wouldn't swap mine for a HSE at any stage. If I had more money I may look at Disco's or Rangies (wishful thinking) but when it comes to FL2's, it's GS all the way for me, hence I opted for a new GS rather than a used XS or HSE that I could have had for similar money. Very Happy LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #147806 5th Jul 2012 10:46 pm
TurboDan

United States 2008 LR2 i6 SE Auto Whistler White

The Doctor wrote:
No problem my friend. Here is a link to those LED sidelights I mentioned. They look great: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-8-LED-501-T1...1606237765

Doc -- I noticed these appear to be white LEDs. I'm thinking back to all of the times I've been in the UK and trying to remember if it's customary to have white sidelights. Anyway, here we have to have amber LED sidelights. Do you know if they sell any of those that will fit the FL2/LR2? CAR HISTORY
1997 Saab 900 SE 2.0 Turbo
2003 Volkswagen Passat 1.8T
2008 Land Rover LR2 SE 2.3 I6

Post #147812 6th Jul 2012 3:33 am
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

TurboDan wrote:
The Doctor wrote:
No problem my friend. Here is a link to those LED sidelights I mentioned. They look great: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-8-LED-501-T1...1606237765

Doc -- I noticed these appear to be white LEDs. I'm thinking back to all of the times I've been in the UK and trying to remember if it's customary to have white sidelights. Anyway, here we have to have amber LED sidelights. Do you know if they sell any of those that will fit the FL2/LR2?

Not sure to be honest but it might be worth contacting the site sponsor Duckworth parts for an opinion because even if there is no such thing as a genuine LR part, Dan at Duckworths will probably have some knowledge of where to find some. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #147818 6th Jul 2012 7:11 am
chrisdeeming

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Santorini Black

go for an se!!! When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car

Post #147821 6th Jul 2012 7:32 am
surfingmonkey

I'm really not keen on SE wheels. Think it'll be a GS with spoiler added Smile

Post #147877 6th Jul 2012 4:44 pm
ad210358

England 

The Doctor wrote:
darryloh wrote:

From the outside you can (if you wish) add bits so that they look no different. In any case, the HSE alloys aren't a patch on GS alloys IMO. Also, I wouldn't swap mine for a HSE at any stage. If I had more money I may look at Disco's or Rangies (wishful thinking) but when it comes to FL2's, it's GS all the way for me, hence I opted for a new GS rather than a used XS or HSE that I could have had for similar money. Very Happy

Those GS wheels are really popular, there are always lots of them on EBay Whistle

Post #147897 6th Jul 2012 6:39 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Yes ad177609864536, some people feel too superior with GS wheels so they choose to flog them on ebay and buy something inferior so they don't look so good Laughing LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #147907 6th Jul 2012 7:34 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>