« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > DPF
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
commando

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey
DPF

Does my 2007 (Dec) Freelander td4 have a DPF?What does it do?Anyone know? Stornaway grey SE auto with 18" alloys

Post #143166 16th May 2012 2:07 pm
JST

France 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Narvik Black

1 No it doesn't.

2 In theory it reduces exhaust particle emissions thus making the car "greener". In practice it causes all sorts of aggravation, fault codes, visits to the dealer etc. I am glad my FL2 does not have one. John
07 HSE Narvick Black
Land Rover Series One
Triumph Rocket 111 (sadly gone!)

Post #143168 16th May 2012 2:16 pm
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Buy a new Freely and join the happy DPF owners club Evil or Very Mad
Incedently my 2007 DOES have a DPF, but yours probably does not commando if it is a 2007 British model. DPF's were fitted to all/many export models from July 2007. 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #143173 16th May 2012 2:44 pm
bigalf1961

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Lago Grey

never heard so much rubbish about dpf (diesel particulate filter) yes it is now part of the modern diesel engine they are fitted to get euro5 emissions but are no more problematic than any other part of a cars engine there are not many people on here that have had repetitive issues with the dpf filter out of the thousands of land rovers built, exported cars were fitted b4 uk made them a requirement from late 2010.if i had listened to people on here that think that the dpf is a problem but do not have one fitted how do they know Question my freelander has one and i have had one issue and that was a software issue. when euro6 engines come into play you will probably have dpf and adblue system fitted i am afraid the all diesels from now on will never go back to having no dpf fitted if you maintain the filter you should be fine.supposed some will be concerned about putting synthetic sheep p**s in a separate tank that is what adblu is hope this gives a bit of clarity to the question Thumbs Up rainy-city
xs

Post #143181 16th May 2012 5:03 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Ben Twillie

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Ipanema Sand

Totally agree with Bigalf1961. Never had a problem in 12000 miles and I do far too many short trips. There were problems with early DPFs but those were due to sensors and software which now appear to be sorted.

Post #143184 16th May 2012 5:45 pm
AndyC

bigalf1961 wrote:
never heard so much rubbish about dpf (diesel particulate filter) yes it is now part of the modern diesel engine they are fitted to get euro5 emissions but are no more problematic than any other part of a cars engine there are not many people on here that have had repetitive issues with the dpf filter out of the thousands of land rovers built, exported cars were fitted b4 uk made them a requirement from late 2010.if i had listened to people on here that think that the dpf is a problem but do not have one fitted how do they know Question my freelander has one and i have had one issue and that was a software issue. when euro6 engines come into play you will probably have dpf and adblue system fitted i am afraid the all diesels from now on will never go back to having no dpf fitted if you maintain the filter you should be fine.supposed some will be concerned about putting synthetic sheep p**s in a separate tank that is what adblu is hope this gives a bit of clarity to the question Thumbs Up

In fact our Freelys have had DPF since 2007 and many have been replaced by LR with no questions asked. If there had not been an issue with them how come so many are replaced free of charge Question
UK owners have only just starting to experiance the joys of having a Freely DPF. Lets hope that they have been improved so they do in fact work as they should do cos the LR early one's clearly didnt the way they should have done.
Bigalf... - you may have been lucky with just a software update, and maybe even UK 2010 models are too young to experiance the DPF FULL VISIT DEALER, but when this happens together with Freely going into limp mode when miles from home and the nearest service station, you will get Censored off as well. I dont think that it is so easy to brush aside the problem as you have tried to do, there has been a problem and I do hope it is now realy fixed. 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #143185 16th May 2012 5:49 pm
superspark

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue

I think out of the many thousands of FL2's now out there with dpf fitted, there is only a small percent of them here on this site to actualy complain about them Rolling with laughter
DPF is a poorly constructed idea to reduce immisions that frankly will always cause problems to the sort journey drivers.
Unless your doing motorway or long drives on a regular bases to keep them in check I wouldnt bother getting a new diesel.
Back to petrol me thinks

Post #143186 16th May 2012 5:50 pm
JST

France 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Narvik Black

Good point Superspark Thumbs Up DPF diesels do not suit short journey motoring but the motor trade don't tend to bring attention to it. People believe diesels are cheaper to run and they cost more to buy so why would they?

My real objection to DPFs is that they are an example of the car makers needing to get the emission figures down without a full acceptance of the long term effect. Having worked in a main dealer (not LR) and seen the number of vehicles coming through the workshop with DPF and EGR issues I simply don't believe the planet is any better off with them. To regenerate the DPF on a Ford Focus involves revving it at 4,000 rpm for 20 minutes....how green is that? OK while they are new and functioning properly but when they start to go wrong the emissions go up, more fuel is used to rectify the problem and even more energy used in manufacturing replacement units. In short, the race for theoretical low emissions figures is not necessarily a good thing.

......er....better get off my soap box now and head for cover! Very Happy John
07 HSE Narvick Black
Land Rover Series One
Triumph Rocket 111 (sadly gone!)

Post #143190 16th May 2012 6:27 pm
Mav71

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

I am on the side of the argument where DPF's are not a major issue. I have had three DPF equipped cars and never had an issue.

That said, I think the diesel engines days are numbered. I reckon in 10 to 15 years time, the diesel engine will go the way of the Dodo.

Petrol technology is vastly improving and now the compression ignition petrol engine is almost here, this will kill off the diesel. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #143193 16th May 2012 6:51 pm
Ben Twillie

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Ipanema Sand

Article in the Telegraph today arguing that diesels are not the cheaper option for most motorists - and that's true. Also, DPFs are a poor attempt to solve a problem that A, it hasn't solved and B, isn't really a problem. BUT, the issue is are they a PITA? Answer, yes and no. If you do loads of short journeys you will probably end up talking to your dealer and handing over cash, but, if like me you really want a Freelander 2 you have to accept the DPF. There is no argument that the early DPF instalation on export cars was a serious problem and the early MY11 cars needed a software upgrade (or two). My car was built after this and has not caused me any problems expect the OIL SERVICE warning10 days before the annual service was due.

So they are here to stay, not a huge problem and as there is no petrol version available in the UK if you want a Freelander you get a DPF thrown in for free (not).

Post #143194 16th May 2012 6:52 pm
richardk

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Aintree Green

My latest FL2 is an auto from Summer 2010 - if I'd have gone for a facelift it would have had a dpf. DPFs have a very poor reputation amongst the motoring public and many owners manuals and sales literature say if you do lots of short journeys the diesel option may not be the one for you because of the DPF. Our FL2 does lots of v short commutes and occasional long journeys. As the dpf has such a poor reputation we avoided it like the plague.

As soon as the petrol engined FL2 is launched in the UK (with the evoque engine) it will be on our shopping list.

DPFs if you have a long commute or do regular long runs they should be trouble free.

Post #143199 16th May 2012 7:12 pm
superspark

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue

Even with the problems ive had with my FL2 I still love them and will keep mine running for many years to come.
Getting back to the pros and cons between diesel and petrol. Ive seviced both diesel and petrol engines and pound for pound a petrol is cheaper to service in the long run for the low mileage short journeys.
Granted a diesel engine is a much stronger unit that a petrol but parts cost that much more overall. Its realy down to what you want from a car in the first place.
A recent coversation with some one who wanted a diesel with a dpf fitted argued the fact that it was cheaper to run than a petrol, problem was all they did was a trip to the shops three times a week and two trips to their alotment.
The car would not even reach normal operating temperature under these conditions.
In this roll the petrol would be the best deal by far.
People realy do need to think hard before they buy Thumbs Up

Post #143200 16th May 2012 7:19 pm
EYorkshire

But thinking hard before I bought was the case.
I tow a caravan therefore the diesel was the right choice, but I only tow in the spring/summer and during winter months I plod into my cities workplace from a village just outside. During winter I rarely get the chance to go above 40mph so run the risk of not re-generating normally.
So far no problems other than oil dilution close to service time which tells me that re-generation was not a normal high temperature one (ACTIVE) but a diesel fuel induced one (PASSIVE) because of my winter driving pattern.
Can't win them all Smile . but so far no real problems with it.

Post #143206 16th May 2012 7:37 pm
AndyC

Our Freely is primaraly used for long distance driving, but we still had to have the DPF replaced - however most of what has been earlier mentioned on the forum about DPF's is still current and this thread is only repeating this. 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.

Post #143219 16th May 2012 9:23 pm
bigalf1961

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Lago Grey

rubbish Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation i do 26miles a day urban driving (short journey) and have never had an issue after software up date you may find that people who have had problems are the ones that have not carried out the correct maintenance
procedure and have not had the dpf go to self clean mode this info is avalable in the hand book or a supplementry pamflet avalable from l/r dealers. Thumbs Up rainy-city
xs

Post #143249 17th May 2012 10:28 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>