Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > evoque range rover or freelander 2,Which is bestoff road ???
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
gilfishman

Wales 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Orkney Grey
evoque range rover or freelander 2,Which is bestoff road ???

any one driven both off road,,,got a day off road agian so may go for evoque as done 2 days in a fl2.....not that i could afford one,,,plus to small for us i think inside. Current: Freelander 2 GS, Orkney Grey, Factory fit privacy glass, design pack and Clearview pack. Almond Leather ,rear spoiler,rear mudflaps.my13.

Gone:Freelander 2, GS, "61"

Gone: Freelander 2, GS.e, "59"

Gone: Freelander 2, S, "08"

Post #139503 12th Apr 2012 9:19 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Tigger

United Kingdom 

I've never driven the Evoque off road but, while it's easy enough to catch the front spoiler on the ground with the Freelander, the Evoque's approach angle is substantially more compromised.

Post #139504 12th Apr 2012 9:22 pm
mcphersonstrut

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

G'man - Recently just tried the Evoque an Coniston (Skipton) which is where we did the freely previously. Stepping out of our 2008 model fl2 and into a brand new Evoque is not a good comparison really but the new car was obviously very quiet. They made a big point of showing us the park assist ('almost' auto park between two cars) .....it worked the third time Laughing
But..... does it do anything better or worse than our current old bus? .........NO.
IMHO looks great, drives fantastic, and super quiet....would i have one....yes for sure, but would most probably follow the 'Valeter' by going to petrol as we only do 8k (+/- per year).

One issue though and it's quite a big one...... It was nice to get back in our old car and look down on nearly everyone again, with the Evoky your back on the floor which seemed quite strange.

Post #139515 13th Apr 2012 12:36 am
bigalf1961

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Lago Grey

to me the evoke is the perfect girly car landrover has made not realy a practical off road car this carwas produced so that l/rover could get more people into a range rover brand i thing its the perfect m/way /town 4x4 and a nice looking one at that but thats it , fe males like bling and the evoke has bling but i would like to see how many owners will take them off the road (not many i bet) Whistle give me a freelander any day Thumbs Up rainy-city
xs

Post #139523 13th Apr 2012 7:01 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

bigalf1961 wrote:
to me the evoke is the perfect girly car landrover has made not realy a practical off road car this carwas produced so that l/rover could get more people into a range rover brand i thing its the perfect m/way /town 4x4 and a nice looking one at that but thats it , fe males like bling and the evoke has bling but i would like to see how many owners will take them off the road (not many i bet) Whistle give me a freelander any day Thumbs Up

I would agree, the evoque is not designed/sold to be used off road no matter what the "marketing" says.

Iain

Post #139533 13th Apr 2012 8:15 am
mikehzz

Australia 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Lago Grey

The Evoque comes with wheels and tyres that are not ideal off road. A big negative in that department.

Post #139535 13th Apr 2012 8:36 am
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

evoque is lighter often a big plus for off road, those 4x4 fiat pandas could go were Range rovers would get stuck, until they ran out of ground clearance

I think fl2 vs evoque would be a fairly well matched contest.

tyres and driver would make more difference than the cars At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #139541 13th Apr 2012 9:18 am
rchrdleigh

England 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Baltic Blue

Evoque has 5cm more ground clearance than a Freelander. On equivalent sized tyres the Evoque will just out perform a Freelander offroad but there is not a lot in it. Both are highly capable offroad vehicles and surprise many first timers as to how well they both perform.

Post #139554 13th Apr 2012 10:45 am
EYorkshire

Not the full story, the Freelander comes out on top as an off roader. Thumbs Up

Freelander
Front Axle Clearance 210mm
Rear Axle Clearance 265mm
Approach Angle 31 degrees
Ramp Over Angle 23 degrees
Departure Angle 34 degrees

Evoque
Front Axle Clearance 215mm
Rear Axle Clearance 240mm
Approach Angle 25/19 degrees
Ramp Over Angle 22 degrees
Departure Angle 33/30 degrees

Post #139562 13th Apr 2012 12:40 pm
Missing Link

England 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Zermatt Silver

chicken george wrote:
evoque is lighter often a big plus for off road, those 4x4 fiat pandas could go were Range rovers would get stuck, until they ran out of ground clearance

My 1st "4x4" Rolling with laughter . dog clutch for a centre diff, skinny tyres and not much ground clearance but storming past japanese tractors in the snow when I had one. They may have been a bit mickey mouse but they actually worked in the white stuff. A reviewer took one of the new ones when they were reintroduced to the Italian Alps only to find the Polizia were still using the old box one as winter transport. Prog rock is cool! Smile
2012 XS SD4 Indus Silver

Post #139566 13th Apr 2012 2:04 pm
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

As almost nobody goes off road with a FL2 the question seems rather hypothetical. Comparing the green-laning and snow and gravel driving qualities, I think it will be difficult to notice any difference between the two. However, although the Evoque can almost match the FL2 with its "offroad" specification it is in all other ways, a far superior vehicle to drive and much better designed than the FL2. 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #139580 13th Apr 2012 6:39 pm
Missing Link

England 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Zermatt Silver

Of course it is a hypothetical question, I rather doubt many Evoque will go off road either, especially if you do not count crossing a grass car park at some country event as off road. Not many will want to take their brand new £30k+car of either model bashing down some country lane (other than journo's who don't own the car), has anybody started tweaking the MY2007 into an off road capable machine and let it get dirty.

The Evoque "should" be better, it has the proper transmission needed but then as most reviewers rate the FL2 off road abilities somewhat better than expected there probably is going to be little difference.

However the fairer comparison is with a car in the same market, how does it compare with an Xtrail, C-Crosser, Kuga etc. or even a Sorrento, even Kia has made a point in their Sportage advert that they won't be going off road. Prog rock is cool! Smile
2012 XS SD4 Indus Silver

Post #139581 13th Apr 2012 7:25 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Missing Link wrote:

The Evoque "should" be better, it has the proper transmission needed but then as most reviewers rate the FL2 off road abilities somewhat better than expected there probably is going to be little difference.

not different as far as I know At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #139583 13th Apr 2012 8:01 pm
Hicksy

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Fuji White

If I was you I would try the evoque, think you will be very surprised,

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

P
Click image to enlarge

Drove this in jan it was awsome going back in June to drive the freelander

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  
Click image to enlarge

Freelander gone
Audi sold
Volvo xc60 r design coming

Post #139595 13th Apr 2012 9:35 pm
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

Nice One Thumbs Up first thing Monday I'm going to to phone to book the LRE, I was thinking of using the voucher on a RRS but perhaps an Evoque might be the thing to do Question 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #139597 13th Apr 2012 9:56 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>