Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Valuations - WBAC vs What Car?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Missing Link

England 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Zermatt Silver

At the moment as its end of year many dealers are eager to push out existing stock. I got £12.5k for my rather marked XS TD4 57 plate with 68K on the clock, not brilliant but adequate given its condition. Chipped windscreen, worn tyres, numerous paint chips and service due.

I then had a stock XS SD4 £2.5k off list picked up a week later. Armreasts, full size alloy spare and upgrade to SD4 foc. Even got the recode for the towbar I fitted myself done for free. Prog rock is cool! Smile
2012 XS SD4 Indus Silver

Post #139084 8th Apr 2012 8:04 pm
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

The Doctor wrote:
In theory yes depending on the FL3 if it emerges in time. It all depends what happens IF I get my degree next year and where I go with it because I may need to downsize to something more economical if I have to pay for any more courses Big Cry

think hard about what you have said there Doc, because the biggest component of running any car is depreciation, and you are in the lucky position of already having taken that and you nearly own a lovely car, and when you are only doing 9K a year, thats about 250 gallons of fuel max , so if diesel went up £2 a gallon your costs rise only £500, you would lose that the first time you turn the ignition key on a new Fiesta Thumbs Up 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #139088 8th Apr 2012 9:34 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

My thinking Martyn (worst case if I did the LPC course at £8k) would be to settle the finance with a loan. Then let's just say the car was sold privately for £14k, I would use £8k of that to foot the Uni bill and £6k to buy an economical run around (a golf perhaps).

Some would argue why not just keep the FL2 plan running and simply take a loan for the uni bill but such repayments on top of current direct debits would eclipse my low income.

In any case, this is a worst case scenario that may never happen so this is wandering slightly off topic as I have no intention to sell or part chop for at least another year. The LPC course puts people on the path to being a solicitor so I suppose the potential long term financial gains could see a FFRR purchase Laughing Sheep LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #139100 8th Apr 2012 11:25 pm
Missing Link

England 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Zermatt Silver

Don't know your individual circumstances but it is never worth taking a personal loan which ultimately pays off a student loan due to the interest rates differential. My son gets more interest on his savings than he pays on his loan so it is staying where it is.

The biggest rate of drop in value is always the 1st 2-3 years (apart from the drive off the forecourt) so if you are not buying new and it is a relatively low value car which is cheaper to run then you will see the benefit of the reduced fuel costs. Due to the higher intrinsic value the annual amount of loss on the FL2 will be higher than a smaller car.

The way things are going circumstances are almost certainly going to be different in a years time so just enjoy the car and wait and see. Prog rock is cool! Smile
2012 XS SD4 Indus Silver

Post #139143 9th Apr 2012 11:10 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12