Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Valuations - WBAC vs What Car?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
The Doctor

United Kingdom 
Valuations - WBAC vs What Car?

I just wanted to satisfy my curiosity and see how the rip off merchants We Buy Any Car compared with What Car?

What Car? claim as follows on my FL2 (excellent condition) (18k miles):

Dealer price: £20,110
Private price: £19,291
Part exchange: £16,892
Trade price: £16,119

Now, even allowing for What Car? being overly generous on pricing, I had to laugh when I saw what WBAC could offer:

£13,975 Shocked Rolling with laughter

I know WBAC are skanky but that's ridiculous! The settlement figure of my finance plan 2 years into the 4 year GMFV plan is £13,129 and if memory serves me well, the GMFV is £7,500 after 4 years.

I wonder how many people actually take up an offer from WBAC... LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #139025 8th Apr 2012 3:24 pm
landy19840

Israel 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

You are obsessed with that site!!

Post #139039 8th Apr 2012 4:13 pm
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

if you have only 18k miles after two years, keep it for another 6 or 7 years, it will still be a good motor, still be worth a couple of grand and will have only only cost you about 3 grand a year plus servicing.

the thing about WBAC is that they will do just that , a dealer may not buy your car if they don't need one. 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #139043 8th Apr 2012 4:46 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

landy19840 wrote:
You are obsessed with that site!!

Your comment is lacking credibility.

Definition of obsessed: To preoccupy the mind of excessively.
Definition of excessive: Exceeding a normal, usual, reasonable, or proper limit.

I have made 2 or 3 posts (I can't recall precisely) involving WBAC and many months have passed in between. I have no desire to sell the car just simple curiosity. I have many other matters that occupy my mind other than WBAC.

Despite the lack of credibility in your comment, there is no need to apologise. I have forgiven you already Laughing Mr. Green LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #139063 8th Apr 2012 5:49 pm
landy19840

You have been on there more than me, obsessed may be a little strong. But you are always shocked of what the value of your car is too them!

Post #139064 8th Apr 2012 5:50 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

I like to check in now and then with What Car? too. WBAC is just for a laugh really because their offers are very daft. I just found the comparison amusing. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #139065 8th Apr 2012 5:54 pm
landy19840

My sister just sold her 58 plate vitara to auto trader for a reasonable price! Worth a check tooo Thumbs Up

Post #139066 8th Apr 2012 5:56 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Auto trader is a good site. Their search facility covers main dealer and independent garages and saves time searching dealers stock individually. Not sure how quickly it updates when dealers sell a vehicle though. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #139069 8th Apr 2012 5:59 pm
superspark

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue

Rolling with laughter Well ive never been on either of those sites but fare comment. It just goes to show if your too quick to sell then you could loose a lot of money.

Post #139071 8th Apr 2012 6:01 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 
Re: Valuations - WBAC vs What Car?

The Doctor wrote:
I know WBAC are skanky but that's ridiculous! The settlement figure of my finance plan 2 years into the 4 year GMFV plan is £13,129 and if memory serves me well, the GMFV is £7,500 after 4 years.

That GMFV is interesting. When I look at used prices for FL2's on Autotrader, even the earliest examples with more miles than the Starship Enterprise are going for between £8-8,500. Would you be tempted to hang on to it, or enter another finance agreement?

Just being nosey really! Rolling Eyes

Post #139074 8th Apr 2012 6:26 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

In theory yes depending on the FL3 if it emerges in time. It all depends what happens IF I get my degree next year and where I go with it because I may need to downsize to something more economical if I have to pay for any more courses Big Cry LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #139075 8th Apr 2012 6:31 pm
richardk

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Aintree Green

Guess WBAC is being influenced by lack of a winter and lack of demand for used FL2. When I was looking to sell my 2010 GS late last year WBAC pricing was competitive and increasing almost on a weekly basis as we headed into winter.

Secondhand values for FL2 are not as good as they were a few months back. I think you'd struggle to get £16K as a trade in at the moment..i'd reckon £15.5k max..depends what you were buying of course

I've just bought another FL2 on a 10 plate a GS auto from a dealer for just over £19K - that represents a drop of about £2.5K since Feb for similar cars. I've seen FL2s stagnating on dealer forecourts for weeks and weeks and then dropping prices regularly until sold.

Parkers prices don't seem to be far off the mark at the moment.

Post #139080 8th Apr 2012 7:22 pm
richardk

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Aintree Green

The Doctor wrote:
Auto trader is a good site. Their search facility covers main dealer and independent garages and saves time searching dealers stock individually. Not sure how quickly it updates when dealers sell a vehicle though.

Not all LR dealers use it though - so pays to check the LR site too

Post #139081 8th Apr 2012 7:25 pm
bigalf1961

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Lago Grey

that site should be re named to WE ROB ANY CAR .com i was told that wbac .com is part of CAR CRAFT Question this come from a work colleague i work with if so that's why valuations are so low i have also heard that if you are satisfied with there offer on your vehicle you will be asked to take it to one of there local centres where it will be looked at and if necessary re priced lower if your description is different than the one you gave or if they find marks to the inertia or scratches on the bodywork i did do a little test with them when my free-lander 2011my was 11mts old with 10k on the clock i asked them for a valuation this vehicle is totally un marked and is in prestene condition
i got a 19,500k Crying or Very sad Evil or Very Mad as you can guess i didn't sell it rainy-city
xs

Post #139082 8th Apr 2012 7:38 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Captain Worm

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Narvik Black

Your car is worth as much as someone is prepared to pay for it - which obviously changes dependant on seasonal effects... It's spring so naturally people want soft tops, not 4x4s - we had a relatively tame winter and so people are not so worried, also fuel price is going up and so people are looking for economical cars!

At the end of the day, wbac are there for people who can't shift there car any other way and so can afford to offer low. If you have the choice it will always be better to try and sell privately.

I wouldn't worry about it. Unless you are actually looking to drop your car next week, any figures you obtain now will be out of date next week and bare no resemblance to what you en up with.

Thumbs Up Freelander 2 TD4 Auto, SE, Narvik Black, Alpaca full leather, Rear Headrest Entertainment System, 6 CD, 18 HSE Wheels, Privicy tints

Post #139083 8th Apr 2012 7:50 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>