« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Alarm problems that dealer can't sort on new FR2
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
MuttleySurrey

England 
Alarm problems that dealer can't sort on new FR2

Hi - first post Confused New FR2 HSE from Sept 11. Rear passenger door sometimes does not lock with key fob (1 & 2 clicks) It will lock with the little door catch but then I can't open it from outside as it won't unlock with FOB. This happened 7 weeks from new and a number of times since. It does rectify on its own hours or days later. The dealer has seen the fault but want it in for the day to remove dashboard Shocked It is a working vehicle and it is very difficult to stop work, unload all the tools and get it to the dealer when the fault appears for a few hours. They have now had it in for a day and as far as I can tell done nothing other than say they have locked and unlocked it a number of times and it works. (I know this already!) This only affects the rear passenger door. To add to this, last week the same door locked completely and would not unlock until the next morning. Switch on dash didn't unlock it and manually it stayed locked. HELP - they say they cannot change anything until they have it with the fault actually there - this I really do sort of understand (similar to my own line of work) But - situation is that the car is parked outside (no garage) with expensive tools in it, and sometimes with no warning it does not lock. Secondly, I am in fear of the door being locked shut with no escape in the event of an accident. I really need some helpful advice Bow down Bow down

Post #130978 7th Feb 2012 10:11 am
RegG

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Biscay Blue

Take it back to the dealer, insist on a loan vehicle (which you should get free under warranty) and tell them you dont want it back until the fault is identified and fixed. Good luck! 2010 HSE TD4 auto, Biscay Blue, Almond Leather, facelift front and rear, detachable towbar, front & rear mudflaps, bib spoilers, clear high level brake light, smooth rear wiper, colour coded door handles.

Previous Land Rovers:
2007 Freelander 2 HSE i6 in Stornoway Grey
1991 Discovery 200tdi 3 door in blue

Post #130980 7th Feb 2012 10:21 am
dunroof

Thumbs Up

Last edited by dunroof on 14th Feb 2013 8:24 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #130982 7th Feb 2012 10:23 am
MuttleySurrey

England 

Thanks guys and sorry I wasn't clear. The dealer has the car and had it all day yesterday but did nothing other than unlock and lock through the day and it worked OK. I have a courtesy car and did refuse to take the car back yesterday as they had not solved the problem. They are saying that if they change the door module and send it back to Land Rover and LR say it is OK then they will have to pay for it - they are reluctant to do this. Banging Head This however is not my problem - I heave bought a new car from them which sometimes doesn't lock or unlock on that door. I have just spoken to LR customer relationship who is going to contact the dealer for me - so maybe something will come from that. I really do understand that with any intermittent problem, it is not easy to diagnose. However this attitude is in serious danger of affecting future car purchase decisions. Just about to call 'Which? Legal Services' for advice now.
Thanks so much for replies. Neutral

Post #130989 7th Feb 2012 10:47 am
shilen

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Bali Blue

When my old FL2 was playing up back in 2008 I was having problems which the dealer was struggling to fix, same old story, unless the fault happens whilst it is in their hands it is hard to diagnose. Their problem is that should they replace a part which turns out not to sort the problem then the dealer foots the bill as LR wont pay the dealer. It is in the dealers interest to correctly diagnose the fault, replace the part and send it back to LR who will after investigation foot the bill under warranty.

Probably not the best news you were looking for but be patient - it will be worth it - you have the best 4x4xfar

Post #130993 7th Feb 2012 11:02 am
Mona Geeza

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Stornoway Grey

I would have thought that is its only happening on one door then the faults at that door, either the wiring to the door or the locking system fitted in it?

Post #131027 7th Feb 2012 8:09 pm
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

I agree with mona geezer, surely the problem has to be with a stiff or tight lock in that passenger door causing the problem.

I have replaced plenty or solenoids & door latch mechanisms in the past on cars under warranty where they just become lazy or are tight from new & cause havoc with the system.

I have zero faith in L/r dealers personally, in my book there about as good as kwik Fit !
I wrote to the MD of L/r after three years of carp service from two L/r dealers & then it got fixed !

Post #131028 7th Feb 2012 8:16 pm
RBaron

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Sumatra Black

This sounds like a horrible fault! I deal with intermittant electrical and electronic faults all day at work.
It could start at the electronic module that controls the door mechanism, the wiring, the electro-mechanical components at the door, or too tight tolerances at the latch mechanism . As it clearly does work at times, it does not appear to be PCB component related as these eventually develop into hard faults that then never go away. It is more likely to be something like a relay, solder joint, loose plug connection, broken wiring that sometimes makes contact and works. It could even be moisture related.

The dealer really should ask for assisstance from LR so that they tell him how the door electronics works. Which signal, what voltage and current, where to hold the probes etc. If they cannot, the dealer will have to start replacing stuff bit by bit until it does work.

Post #131035 7th Feb 2012 9:37 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1