Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > So.....I just got the heavy and whiney Steering!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
redlabel

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame
So.....I just got the heavy and whiney Steering!

As a cristmasgift from my FL2 I got the heavy steering and whine from the steering pump! Censored
What I want to know is if anyone got this covered outside of warrenty? Mine is a 07 with 72 000km on the clock.
I know it's a rather easy fix, but if anyone got it fixed for free without having to lay in the snow in minus 10 degrees fixing the Censored that would be a treat! Wink
Merry F'ing Christmas! Evil or Very Mad FL2, TD4 HSE
The flaming Orange!

Post #125008 26th Dec 2011 4:21 pm
Junior

England 

Had a new pump and rack fitted 3 weeks outside of warranty.....but had reported it before warranty ended so was covered.

Post #125012 26th Dec 2011 6:03 pm
redlabel

^^ damn it. Anyone else? FL2, TD4 HSE
The flaming Orange!

Post #125034 27th Dec 2011 1:09 am
snappa

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Buckingham Blue

It can be just the fluid reservoir needs replacing which isn't too dear/complicated to fix

Post #125049 27th Dec 2011 11:12 am
Mav71

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

I didnt get the heavy steering, but I got a bit of a whine. Nothing major but me being me got it checked out.

There is a cure of a new resovior and flush. So I had this done by my trusty LR dealer and it came to £142 incuding VAT.

The technician said it wasnt bad enough to do the job, but for the sake of £142, it could save me from having a new rack in the future. So decided to get it done. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #125462 31st Dec 2011 10:40 am
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Ok mine was inside warranty - but
When mine had heavy steering and whining it was one of the pulleys tensioning the pump drive belt that had failed. The dealer replaced the pulley and belt - steering back to normal.
Problem was "normal" was knackered, rack was notchy as hell, so they ended up replacing the rack, pump, and reservoir.

just check that the belt is actually moving - mine wasn't. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #125468 31st Dec 2011 11:42 am
redlabel

Thanks. Will look into it. Have ordered the reservoar and the oil. Smile
Happy Newyear! FL2, TD4 HSE
The flaming Orange!

Post #125747 1st Jan 2012 11:11 pm
Barton Freelander

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Lago Grey

Been having these problems myself the last couple of days. been to to landrover peterborough this morning looks like at worse its going to be new steering rack,oil and resevior cost about £800 inc 4 hours labour change Sad motor has only done 18500 in 3.5 years. will know more next week once they have it in for a day. Freelander2 GS TD4 Manual in Lago Grey Smile .Roof Mount DVD 9.2''Screen~Window Tints~Parrot CK3100 Bluetooth~Retro Fit Sony Satnav~iPhone Dashmount~Side Steps~Woodco Armrest~Mudflaps~Land Rover Sunglass Holder~LED Interior Lights~Private Plate.Evoque Collected 17th Sept 2012.

Also Audi TT Roadster.Smile

Last edited by Barton Freelander on 7th Jan 2012 7:15 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #126508 7th Jan 2012 4:18 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
rchrdleigh

England 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Baltic Blue

Barton Freelander wrote:
Been having these problems myself the last couple of days. been to to landrover peterborough this morning looks like at at worse its going to be new steering rack,oil and resivior cost about £800 with 4 hours labour change Sad moter has only done 18500 in 3.5 years. will know more next week once they have it in for a day.

Had the same problem on my 07SE 3 months out of warranty. Took it to the Dealer who persuaded LR to cover the cost of replacement. As this is a known problem on 07 and 08 vehicles at the very least LR should be making a contribution to the cost of replacement. The cause is a faulty weld on the steering rack which fails causing filings to clogg up the filter in the power steering reservoir. If caught early a change of filter can cure the problem, if not then new rack, reservoir, filter and oil will be required.

Post #126518 7th Jan 2012 5:17 pm
Barton Freelander

Think i will ask them to check reservior and filter first this is the chepest option as parts are only about £20 then 1 hours labour.otherwise the steering rack is £300 +vat and another 3 hours labour. Crying or Very sad Freelander2 GS TD4 Manual in Lago Grey Smile .Roof Mount DVD 9.2''Screen~Window Tints~Parrot CK3100 Bluetooth~Retro Fit Sony Satnav~iPhone Dashmount~Side Steps~Woodco Armrest~Mudflaps~Land Rover Sunglass Holder~LED Interior Lights~Private Plate.Evoque Collected 17th Sept 2012.

Post #126542 7th Jan 2012 7:20 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Andy131

United Kingdom 

If metal has got into the filter and blocked it, there is no byepass so the pump WILL have suffered starvation - not good, as this creates more swarf, that wrecks the rack, blinds the filter and further damages the pump.

If it were my money I would change the pump if the rack and filter were shot. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #126581 7th Jan 2012 10:53 pm
superspark

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue

On all early models the oil resivour filtering mess was to fine thus causing it to block and causing the problems you have been having. They have since changed the design with a larger mess to stop clogging fitted to all newer models.
A very simply test can be carried out to see if your older resivour is getting blocked etc.
With engine runnung unscrew the cap of the oil resivour, look inside, what you should see is a musheroom shapped doom of oil flowing.
This should be flowing smoothly with no bubles or any harsh disturbance. get a friend etc to rev up the engine a few times, you should see no change in the flow patern.
If it is flowing with bubbles and is not smooth flowing either at tick over or higher then your resivour filter is blocked and needs to be changed as soon as possible. The longer you leave it the more damage you are doing to the pump. Also the system will need to compleatly flushed with new oil.
There is a landrover bullitin on this subject if anyone wants to know Thumbs Up

Post #126611 8th Jan 2012 9:57 am
Barton Freelander

superspark wrote:
On all early models the oil resivour filtering mess was to fine thus causing it to block and causing the problems you have been having. They have since changed the design with a larger mess to stop clogging fitted to all newer models.
A very simply test can be carried out to see if your older resivour is getting blocked etc.
With engine runnung unscrew the cap of the oil resivour, look inside, what you should see is a musheroom shapped doom of oil flowing.
This should be flowing smoothly with no bubles or any harsh disturbance. get a friend etc to rev up the engine a few times, you should see no change in the flow patern.
If it is flowing with bubbles and is not smooth flowing either at tick over or higher then your resivour filter is blocked and needs to be changed as soon as possible. The longer you leave it the more damage you are doing to the pump. Also the system will need to compleatly flushed with new oil.
There is a landrover bullitin on this subject if anyone wants to know Thumbs Up

Thanks for the info landrover did this yesterday and there were loads of little bubbles when you take the top off .lets hope it just needs a new reservior and flushing otherwise a big bill coming my way. Crying or Very sad Freelander2 GS TD4 Manual in Lago Grey Smile .Roof Mount DVD 9.2''Screen~Window Tints~Parrot CK3100 Bluetooth~Retro Fit Sony Satnav~iPhone Dashmount~Side Steps~Woodco Armrest~Mudflaps~Land Rover Sunglass Holder~LED Interior Lights~Private Plate.Evoque Collected 17th Sept 2012.

Post #126612 8th Jan 2012 10:03 am
superspark

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue

Your very welcome. If it was caught early enough then all will be fine. I would suggest that you keep a note of what was changed and the date just incase theres any problems later on. For warranty work only the bare minimum would have been replaced so just be aware mate best of luck Thumbs Up

Post #126690 8th Jan 2012 8:33 pm
freedieselauto

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Rimini Red

I replaced my reservoir and fluid in Spring 2011 having suffered whine and heavy steering. It has been trouble free for about 8,000 miles. I posted how I did for about £30 on this site.

http://www.freel2.com/forum/post100382.html#100382 - 2007(57) XS Auto, Rimini Red, Alpaca Leather.
- GCS Hawke - Sports, BRG, Vulcan 2.1 inj'. My toy - built it myself in 2001.

Post #126727 9th Jan 2012 11:04 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1