« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Low cost iPod installation in Glovebox using AUX input
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
bazos

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black
Low cost iPod installation in Glovebox using AUX input

I have recently bought a 2008 GS and am very happy with it except for poor iPod connection options. While you can get an interface lead and plug it into the MP3/Aux socket on console and use rear power socket everything is visible and power socket is always on.
Using electrical diagrams from this excellent website I have installed a MP3 socket and switched power socket inside glovebox so I can use iPod as if it were plugged into console socket.
I am providing following details for anyone who may be interested.
(Before you attempt this please note you must be very careful not to damage any cable harnesses and be able to solder MP3 cable connections)
1. Materials needed From Amazon or ebay, iPod plug to 3.5mm jack/USB plug interface cable, insulated 12v car power socket with 2 flying leads, 12v car socket to USB power converter plug (belkin), 3.5mm stereo plug/socket extension cable 1m min.
2. Remove radio by easing centre grill on facia up with thin plastic card from front. Grill then clicks up and forward to remove. Undo two larger torx screws under grill. Lift rubber coin tray and remove two torx screws. It is then possible to carefully ease out the whole front plastic moulding revealing radio. Radio is released by removing four torx screws on front.
3. Cut the 3.5mm plug off the extension audio cable and strip and prepare the ends for soldering leaving about 1m of cable. On the back of the radio there are two connectors the smaller one is the MP3 interface. Very carefully strip back 2mm of insulation of the yellow/green wire and solder the screen of the audio cable to it. Similarly individually solder the audio wires to the dark blue and then the light blue/green. (Do not touch black/yellow) Insulate all joints with tape and feed 3.5mm socket back to glove box. Refit radio ensuring cable harnesses are not trapped anywhere.
4. Carefully remove glove box light fitting by unclicking fixings. The two wires connected to the light will be used to power the socket (power cuts out after several minutes of inactivity after key removal) As described above solder the centre conductor of socket (+12v) to the green/brown wire and the side of socket (-ve) to the yellow/black. Insulate joints allowing sufficient cable for socket to be located in glovebox. (you can use IDC connectors for this as an alternative)
5. Tidy up installation and tape sockets together inside glovebox and secure with cable ties. It is recommended you fit the socket in the upper middle of glovebox. Plug Belkin USB convertor into power socket and then plug iPod interface cable into audio socket and USB socket.
Installation is now complete, items are hidden in glovebox and iPod can be selected by means of AUX button on radio. Set iPod to ‘sound check’ to equalise volume levels for best results.
I can’t resist commenting that this modification should work equally well when towing a caravan. You may need to use a slightly increased volume level however to overcome groaning of the transmission and noisy overtaking farmers!
There some photos below to illustrate process.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/72361400@N04/?saved=1[/b]

Post #124166 18th Dec 2011 6:56 pm
4por4

United States 2008 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

Very nice! Cuatro Por Cuatro

Post #124172 18th Dec 2011 7:37 pm
dunroof

Thumbs Up

Post #124175 18th Dec 2011 7:47 pm
hinchy

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Aintree Green

Top work bazos Thumbs Up

Post #124179 18th Dec 2011 7:59 pm
gDallasK

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

I see from the photos on Flickr that your radio is different to that on my 2011 GS. I wonder if the connections on the rear are likely to differ between models of radio? The map is not the territory

2011 TD4 GS Manual - Gone
2014 SD4 XS Auto - Gone
2018 Jaguar E-Pace R-Dynamic 180 AWD

Post #124339 20th Dec 2011 10:33 am
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

bazos wrote:
I can’t resist commenting that this modification should work equally well when towing a caravan. You may need to use a slightly increased volume level however to overcome groaning of the transmission and noisy overtaking farmers!

It will be useful when attempting towing a caravan as you will need music while you wait for hours at the side of the road for a tow truck. Van towing proving to much for the fl2 Laughing

pinky and mr strut having provided photo evidence of that fact in the past

At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #124345 20th Dec 2011 11:16 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

Laughing

Post #124350 20th Dec 2011 1:05 pm
freedieselauto

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Rimini Red

Bazos,
An excellent modification - thanks for sharing. - 2007(57) XS Auto, Rimini Red, Alpaca Leather.
- GCS Hawke - Sports, BRG, Vulcan 2.1 inj'. My toy - built it myself in 2001.

Post #124613 22nd Dec 2011 1:27 pm
bazos

2011 Freelander GS iPod in glovebox question

It seems that for the 2011 model year GS, Land Rover have become more generous by installing the better ‘high line’ audio system. I have had a look at the info and it is clearly much more complex than the standard audio unit with completely different wiring harnesses and architecture.
The AUX socket wiring however is basically the same as the basic radio with the wiring from the console socket being routed to a plug that plugs into a socket on the back of the Infotainment Control Module (Dash head unit) There appear to be two sockets, one that plugs into the ICM and the second plugging into the Module Head Unit, pin 10 blue is left channel, pin 11 green is audio ground and pin 12 green/blue is right channel. If you use these connections for the iPod audio cable it should work in the same manner as the basic unit.
I must however say that this is theoretical based on diagram info. If anyone has a photo of the back of the high line ICM head unit it would be useful to illustrate how it is actually laid out. Hope this helps.

Post #124715 22nd Dec 2011 10:22 pm
gDallasK

Thumbs Up

Cheers - that is really helpful. I feel a Christmas break project beginning to shape up!!

So long as the garage isn't too cold.

Geoff The map is not the territory

2014 SD4 XS Auto - Gone

Post #124717 22nd Dec 2011 10:29 pm
bazos

Geoff,
Have found illustration of back of High Line ICM to complete picture. The AUX connections should appear on the C2ME44A connector wiring harness.
Happy Christmas.
Baz
http://www.flickr.com/photos/72361400@N04/...hotostream

Post #124818 23rd Dec 2011 8:59 pm
gDallasK

bazos wrote:
Geoff,
Have found illustration of back of High Line ICM to complete picture. The AUX connections should appear on the C2ME44A connector wiring harness.
Happy Christmas.
Baz
http://www.flickr.com/photos/72361400@N04/...hotostream

Baz,

Thanks so much for the picture. It's really appreciated!!

I can now finalise my wicked plans to install the Harman Kardan Drive & Play unit that has been sitting in my garage since I got it off Fleabay in June last year!!

Best regards,

Geoff The map is not the territory

2014 SD4 XS Auto - Gone

Post #128682 22nd Jan 2012 9:03 pm
Pete_Gos

United Kingdom 

Brilliant thread...helping no end with my issue with the Alpine Surround System. Whenever I select the Aux option I get a really lound buzz/hum...even with nothing charging and nothing in the uaz port. Without the engine runnig it will eventaully stop until you cause an electical current somewhere...open door, foot on break. With the engine running it's contant. Using this tread and the wiring diagram (I also found on here https://www.freel2.com/gallery/albums/user...agram.pdf) I know know what all the connectors are. My suspicion is the Ground Connection. Anyone else had similar issues?

Post #146299 20th Jun 2012 9:22 pm
tandy409

United States 2008 LR2 i6 SE Auto Orkney Grey

Brilliant thread...helping no end with my issue with the Alpine Surround System. Whenever I select the Aux option I get a really lound buzz/hum...even with nothing charging and nothing in the uaz port. Without the engine runnig it will eventaully stop until you cause an electical current somewhere...open door, foot on break. With the engine running it's contant. Using this tread and the wiring diagram (I also found on here https://www.freel2.com/gallery/albums/userp...agram.pdf) I know know what all the connectors are. My suspicion is the Ground Connection. Anyone else had similar issues?

Have you firgured out a fix, i just bought a 2008 lr2 SE and have the EXACT same issue. Please tell me you didnt have to replace the radio...

Post #228133 30th Jun 2014 1:47 pm
Pete_Gos

United Kingdom 

I suspected the ground earth... even created a new eath connection. No Joy. Main dealer took some persuading there was an issue...but eventually agreed. They basically created a bypass loom for the aux connection (at GREAT expense). They suspected someting was trapped under the dash

Post #228141 30th Jun 2014 3:14 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>