« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Reversing Sensor problem when it rains
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Woodentop

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey
Reversing Sensor problem when it rains

I have an intermittent problem only after it rains.

When reverse gear is selected a continuous tone is heard from both rear door speakers, and rear sensors fail to operate/warn.

The vehicle has been with the Dealer more than once. Plugged into their diagonstic equipment and no fault found.
The dealer has stated that if there was a fault, the vehicle's own computer would have recorded it!
On the one occasion I was with the Dealer & the sound there, they still stated that the computer found no fault & there was nothing to fix.

I have no faith in Land Rover's diagonstic equipment, as there is nothing wrong with my hearing.

Has any one the same problem & has same resolved? Woodentop

Last edited by Woodentop on 22nd Nov 2011 8:40 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #121062 21st Nov 2011 9:45 pm
geoff.c

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Izmir Blue
parking sensors

My 08 will do the same, after being parked out in the rain, or just a heavy dew. Not every time, but quite often.
I usually just wipe each sensor face with a tissue, and all is well for a while. To be fair to your dealer, this is not just a Land Rover fault, many cars with similar sensors will be prone to it. A fault will not be recorded because the sensor(s) are "seeing" something close to the bumper and not beeping, but going straight to the within 12" tone.
If you reverse up the drive, then of course you drive away forwards, this may mean the sensors are blown dry before you need to reverse.

Post #121064 21st Nov 2011 10:10 pm
rchrdleigh

England 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Baltic Blue

It's a fairly common problem and doesn't usually show up as a fault on the dealers diagnostic tests.

Easy way to check is to dry the sensors and see if you still get the continuous tone, if they're working you shouldn't.

I had a similar problem with front sensors on my 07 SE and the dealer eventually changed the sensors which cured the problem. Other solution is for the dealer to reseal the sensors which also seems to solve the problem sometimes.

As far as the dealer saying the computer would have logged a fault if there was one, I'd say he is speaking with forked tongue. To be fair nothing wrong with LR diagnostic equipment , just thant not all problems are logged by the vehicle and show up on the diagnostic equipment.

I'd say take it to another dealer or an indy if there is one near you.

Post #121065 21st Nov 2011 10:11 pm
Woodentop

Re: parking sensors

geoff.c wrote:
My 08 will do the same, after being parked out in the rain, or just a heavy dew. Not every time, but quite often.
I usually just wipe each sensor face with a tissue, and all is well for a while. To be fair to your dealer, this is not just a Land Rover fault, many cars with similar sensors will be prone to it. A fault will not be recorded because the sensor(s) are "seeing" something close to the bumper and not beeping, but going straight to the within 12" tone.
If you reverse up the drive, then of course you drive away forwards, this may mean the sensors are blown dry before you need to reverse.

Last time this happened, I cleaned & checked sensors, sound still there. Vehicle to dealer for test, no fault found. Never listened to such waffel.This problem is very intermittent, the tone is different than warning tone of the sensors. Woodentop

Post #121078 22nd Nov 2011 12:03 am
Woodentop

rchrdleigh wrote:
It's a fairly common problem and doesn't usually show up as a fault on the dealers diagnostic tests.

Easy way to check is to dry the sensors and see if you still get the continuous tone, if they're working you shouldn't.

I had a similar problem with front sensors on my 07 SE and the dealer eventually changed the sensors which cured the problem. Other solution is for the dealer to reseal the sensors which also seems to solve the problem sometimes.

As far as the dealer saying the computer would have logged a fault if there was one, I'd say he is speaking with forked tongue. To be fair nothing wrong with LR diagnostic equipment , just thant not all problems are logged by the vehicle and show up on the diagnostic equipment.

I'd say take it to another dealer or an indy if there is one near you.

Last time this happened, I cleaned & dryed sensors & sound was still there. Sound is a different tone than the sensors tone.
Vehicle was returned to the Dealer with sound still there when reverse selected. Result of test NO FAULT Begining to wonder about this dealer. At the moment I am trying to find out which way to rain is falling when this happens, but so far no luck Woodentop

Post #121079 22nd Nov 2011 12:11 am
EYorkshire

It is a common problem and not just with Land Rovers but any ultrasonic sensor fitted to any car. It only happened to me once and was a different tone, with me a detailed wipe cured it and hasn't acted up since. Confused
The outer part of the sensor won't tolerate raindrops, dirt etc which is why there are more threads about it in winter, but on saying that you may well have a fault with one or more sensors if cleaning etc does not cure it.

Post #121119 22nd Nov 2011 1:09 pm
Biscay

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Biscay Blue

If you think about it if a sensor is giving a signal, whether due to detecting something or due to damp shorting it out, then the diagnosis system isnt going to recognise the difference between the two and so will not register a fault. This is common with any machine. It is expecting a signal and is getting one, otherwise it would show a fault everytime something was there.

Mine do this after rain or cleaning the car. Paper towel is better. I have one sensor that you can always manage to get water to capillary out from around the outer edge. Dry this and draw all water out and then its o.k.

I am planning to get it changed as it will probably pack up completely at some point.

Post #121121 22nd Nov 2011 1:20 pm
Woodentop

EYorkshire wrote:
It is a common problem and not just with Land Rovers but any ultrasonic sensor fitted to any car. It only happened to me once and was a different tone, with me a detailed wipe cured it and hasn't acted up since. Confused
The outer part of the sensor won't tolerate raindrops, dirt etc which is why there are more threads about it in winter, but on saying that you may well have a fault with one or more sensors if cleaning etc does not cure it.

It has only happened four times since June.If I could find the cause before the vehicle warranty expires, I could live with it. Woodentop

Post #121122 22nd Nov 2011 1:22 pm
Woodentop

Biscay wrote:
If you think about it if a sensor is giving a signal, whether due to detecting something or due to damp shorting it out, then the diagnosis system isnt going to recognise the difference between the two and so will not register a fault. This is common with any machine. It is expecting a signal and is getting one, otherwise it would show a fault everytime something was there.

Mine do this after rain or cleaning the car. Paper towel is better. I have one sensor that you can always manage to get water to capillary out from around the outer edge. Dry this and draw all water out and then its o.k.

I am planning to get it changed as it will probably pack up completely at some point.

Will do this the next time the problem shows its head Woodentop

Post #121123 22nd Nov 2011 1:26 pm
Dave

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

If you can, check the wiring loom behind the bumper and also the wiring loom where it enters the car. Use a silicon spray to give a liberal coating to the wiring loom under the car and behind the bumper. It's quite possibly water ingress into the wiring loom itself causing the fault. ______________________
2011 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8
2012 FL2 SD4 Auto HSE
2013 Kawasaki Versys 650

Post #121126 22nd Nov 2011 2:05 pm
RBaron

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Sumatra Black

I've had an 08 GS modle for 6 months and have never has this issue.

So, clearly, most sensors do work. Perhaps trial something...it could be just one of the four sensors at the back that is tripping the signal. They can't all be over-sensitive.

Post #121128 22nd Nov 2011 2:21 pm
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

frustrating !
make sure all the sensors are clean around the air gap, clean with fine cotton bud. I then silicon wiped all the bumper and sensors with silicon to repel the water. Never been any trouble since.
My experience is dealers are a waste of time !

If you have painted lower skirt with painted sensors you do need to check for a rim of paint around the air gap of the senor, any paint imperfection plays havoc with the sensor and water. Very Happy

Post #121135 22nd Nov 2011 3:56 pm
dunroof

I've got 4 genuine LR sensors I might be tempted to sell if you need a set.

Post #121136 22nd Nov 2011 4:11 pm
Woodentop

Dave wrote:
If you can, check the wiring loom behind the bumper and also the wiring loom where it enters the car. Use a silicon spray to give a liberal coating to the wiring loom under the car and behind the bumper. It's quite possibly water ingress into the wiring loom itself causing the fault.

Thanks Dave. Will give it a try, nothing to loose Woodentop

Post #121143 22nd Nov 2011 5:20 pm
Woodentop

oldgeezer wrote:
frustrating !
make sure all the sensors are clean around the air gap, clean with fine cotton bud. I then silicon wiped all the bumper and sensors with silicon to repel the water. Never been any trouble since.
My experience is dealers are a waste of time !

If you have painted lower skirt with painted sensors you do need to check for a rim of paint around the air gap of the senor, any paint imperfection plays havoc with the sensor and water. Very Happy

I agree, Dealers are a waste of time. Will check air gap & then apply silicon, again nothing to loose. Woodentop

Post #121144 22nd Nov 2011 5:22 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>