« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > driving in the lakes
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
bigalf1961

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Lago Grey
driving in the lakes

hi guys whats the name of the passes in the lake district that some of you have driven and are thay tarmac or dirt as i hope to be going there in november would like to take the mrs to see some nice views Thumbs Up rainy-city
xs

Post #116593 12th Oct 2011 9:38 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
EYorkshire

Google the following and all are metal surface, steep and with passing places

Kirkstone pass
Hardknott pass
Wrynose pass
Honister pass
Whinlatter pass

Post #116594 12th Oct 2011 9:47 am
bigalf1961

thank you eyorkshire Bow down Bow down rainy-city
xs

Post #116596 12th Oct 2011 10:05 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
npinks

United Kingdom 

I did most of these earlier this year, some really nice drives out there, when you can see

If your having kids with you, who have just eaten tomato soup, bread and black current juice for lunch, try not to drive too fast or the inside of your car will be seeing it again. Evil or Very Mad

If this happens, the supermarket at Windermere sell 1001 carpet cleaner, 1001 dog p*** remover and anti bacterial surface spray and 6 rolls of kitchen rolls that don't rip when you get them wet. mop up as much of the soup and lumps as you can and then liberally spray your new cleaning arsenal on it as much as possible and mop mop mop until its coming back clean

Hopefully this will mean you dont have a sick smelling car and it worked for me Very Happy Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #116603 12th Oct 2011 11:21 am
EYorkshire

^ Laughing

Yeah, the Lakes are notorious for having it's own climate and if you're lucky to catch some fine weather the views are brilliant, but when the mist descends you can't see in front of you and some of the passes have nothing between you and a few hundred feet drop on the sides.

So be careful out there. Thumbs Up

Post #116606 12th Oct 2011 11:40 am
jp

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

Kirkstone pass
Hardknott pass
Wrynose pass
Honister pass
Whinlatter pass

Cycled ever one of these pass'es this year, and will be doing a few more at the end of the mounth Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Kirkstone pass - The descent traveling West is long and fast

Hardknott pass - Harder to climb from the west, only a 10 minutes Climb from the East, ( doing it again soon)

Wrynose pass - Harder Climb from the East but a fast descent !!

Honister pass - very hard climb from the East - bumper descent at the top traveling N/W but fast at the bottom !

Whinlatter pass - not much to write home about,

We must all take care when out on these roads, whether in the car or on your bike,
and when its wet or snowy all these road can be very dangerous !! have fun Take care Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #116610 12th Oct 2011 12:11 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

"Hardknott Pass, Wrynose Pass and Honister Pass in particular are among the steepest roads in the country. Also Red Bank Road which runs between Grasmere and Langdale is a single track lane with very tight corners and is not suitable for lorries or caravans."

Drove the red bank road in a rain storm, after the hotel staff advised us to use another route. they were nearly right Laughing not a scenic but good fun .
Hotel was in Grasmere, the hotel pool and leisure in Langdale Rolling Eyes

Hardknott Pass, Wrynose Pass are a must, a little disconcerting in a 4x4 however as the bonnet is high and driving over some steep crests is an act of blind faith until your bonnet starts pointing downwards At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #116636 12th Oct 2011 2:14 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

the ambleside access road to the pass is fun too, when your in convoy with 3 other cars and a farmer decides thats the time to drive down the single track road with his defender towing his horse trailer behind him, about 1/2 mile of reversing should sort that one out Evil or Very Mad Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #116641 12th Oct 2011 2:31 pm
D99

England 

some excellent suggestions, just remember it was November last year when we had alot of snow in cumbria, and although it might be raining in one place things can soon change! as said previously we have a very complex weather system!!

Post #116644 12th Oct 2011 2:41 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

I'll vouch for the Hardknott and Wrynose passes - I've taken every opportunity to drive them since first taking a 1.6 Montego estate through them in in 1987. Wow, talk about underpowered! Laughing

Try and choose a time when it's going to be quiet - you don't want to meet other cars, or get stuck behind them, if you can help it; first thing in the morning is good!

There are also one or two good green lanes, here was my favouite when I was last there in July:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Happy yo give you the location if you're interested....

We'll be back there for the last week of October Thumbs Up

Post #116669 12th Oct 2011 6:36 pm
bigalf1961

hi tigger could you pls forward the location i am looking to be going about mid november weather permitting its the wifes 50th said i would take her to the lakes Thumbs Up rainy-city
xs

Post #116675 12th Oct 2011 7:25 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

bigalf1961 wrote:
hi tigger could you pls forward the location i am looking to be going about mid november weather permitting its the wifes 50th said i would take her to the lakes Thumbs Up

Go to:

http://maps.the-hug.net/

The search for "Bootle, Cumbria (settlement)"

Then check the track which heads east out of the village up and across Bottle Fell. The track is best driven from the other direction, starting from 54.296N 3.314W. Catch on a clear day and you'll see the Isle of Man.

Post #116678 12th Oct 2011 7:48 pm
D99

England 

Nice to see some pics of that route, i've been meaning to try that one for a while.
Whats the rest of it like? and is it a safe one to do on your own?
Any more pics would be great. Smile

Post #116684 12th Oct 2011 8:49 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

I presume you need to recheck that this lane is open Question Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #116687 12th Oct 2011 9:04 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

A few more photos for you:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I wasn't keen on doing it on my own, but it wasn't too bad in the end, though the worst bit was some of the mud ruts in one of the above photos. It was relatively dry when I did it and it might get a bit marshy in some places in the winter - I'd recommend the precaution of taking some waffle boards if it's been really wet. I'd also recommend removing the black plastic spats from your front spoiler if you've got a facelift Freelander - just to be on the safe side.

I asked for advice from the local Land Rover dealer before I tried it and they said that I should be fine, just as long as i didn't venture off the track!

Post #116691 12th Oct 2011 9:15 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>