Home > Maintenance & Modifications > i6 intermittent starting problem
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
DT

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver
i6 intermittent starting problem

Hello

I have a 2007 MY i6 and since 2008/09 have experienced an intermittent starting fault. This only occurs in "warm weather" (which in Manchester we define as anything above 20 degrees C) and is only experienced when the engine is warm from having done a journey of at least 3 miles. Upon trying to start the vehicle, the engine turns over but does not fire. The only remedy I have found is to remove the key fob, press the unlock button on the fob and to repeat the starting process. Usually after three of four attempts this resolves the problem but of late it is occurring more frequently and taking more attempts. I've had the vehicle to dealers both in Spain and Manchester to try and resolve this but with no luck so far. Has anyone else experienced anything similar please.

Thanks

DT

Post #115856 5th Oct 2011 10:18 pm
DT

Hello again, the problem I described before with our i6 has continued to occur every Summer and to date Williams Land Rover have not been able to rectify it. However, they told me this week that there is currently a software download available to the Petrol Freelander 2 cars, which does relate to the warm weather starting issue.

I've read elsewhere that a Brazilian i6 owner has had a similar problem. Has anyone on Freel2 experienced similar problems please with an i6, and better still, has anyone found that the LR software download has resolved the issue?

Thanks

Drew

Post #155163 19th Sep 2012 6:59 pm
Martindktm

Canada 

Have a 2010 I6 but we never experience that. Could it be Vapor lock? but I don't think it's possible on a fuel injected engine... 1973 Land Rover Series 3 88''
2010 Land Rover Lr2

Post #155171 19th Sep 2012 7:43 pm
4por4

United States 2008 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

I had the same issue and LR looked at it and said it was a software issue and it was fixed. It lasted a good 4-5 months...Now when the fuel/petrol gets low when the indicator light comes on and I go fill up it will do it again.
Very strange.... Cuatro Por Cuatro

Post #155399 22nd Sep 2012 6:23 am
Kostaschrys

Greece 2008 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Sumatra Black

In my case, sometimes when you are starting the engine (after is fully warmed), the engine turns over for a second, then is a a pause (nothing moving) for another second and then the engine fires up. This never happens when the engine is cold.

Post #155425 22nd Sep 2012 1:16 pm
DT

I seem to have finally achieved a good outcome to this problem. I contacted LR HQ in Gaydon who, I have to say, provided excellent help and support. They liaised with one of the local dealerships in Greater Manchester who in turn undertook a software upgrade last Autumn. In the last few days of warm(ish) weather of 2012 there was no sign of the problem recurring. Fingers crossed that this continues to be the case as we head into, and through, our forthcoming, UK Summer heat wave.

Although the car is out-of-warranty by two years, LR, to their credit, acknowledged that the problem had been ongoing since year two and refunded the (not small) cost of the software upgrade.

Would have been good not to have had to live with this problem for four years, but hopefully now sorted and I was impressed with LR's, and the particular member of staff that I dealt with there, handling of the matter. Usual niggles with local dealership but have come to expect nothing less in our locality: such big inconsistencies across LR dealerships which must need resolving for the future I feel.

DT

Post #171509 13th Feb 2013 9:00 am
jlcrompton

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Its been over 12 months now, has the problem come back? I6 WITH GAS CONVERSION
HST BODY KIT
OSRAM LED DRIVING FOGS
CARS LOOKING GOOOOD!

Post #228404 4th Jul 2014 10:11 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1