Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > With Evoke outselling Freelander 4:1 where are the offers?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
jutrem

Canada 2008 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Tonga Green

rchrdleigh wrote:
jutrem wrote:

The good new is at least the Evoque is based on the Freelander 2.

Actually it isn't. Evoque has a different chassis and gearbox, some modifications to the engine to make it quieter and more fuel efficient. At most only about 30% of an Evoque comes from the Freelander. Maybe the next Freelander will be based on the Evoque chassis?

Said "based" on the Freelander 2 , not identical to it. Of course there major style, chassis and interior differences. The Evoque (US version) also has 4 cylinder Ford eco-boost engine not a Volvo i6, and many other differences a well Very Happy

rchrdleigh wrote:
Maybe the next Freelander will be based on the Evoque chassis?

Probably right on this one.

Post #115650 3rd Oct 2011 10:19 pm
rchrdleigh

England 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Baltic Blue

jutrem wrote:

Said "based" on the Freelander 2 , not identical to it. Of course there major style, chassis and interior differences. The Evoque (US version) also has 4 cylinder Ford eco-boost engine not a Volvo i6, and may other differences a well Very Happy

Have to disagree - even Land Rover will tell you it is not based on a Freelander. I agree that the original intention when putting LRX into production was to base it on the Freelander but when it came to actually making the production version (Evoque) the LR engineers realised it wasn't possible, hence the all new chassis.

Post #115651 3rd Oct 2011 10:26 pm
sweetfreedom

I still think it's a great shame LR shelved this, the Ventura. A seven seat FL (FL2.5?) which was due 2012....this was the car I really wanted. Space, style and economy....a damned shame!

FL2 GS Auto '58reg

Post #115652 3rd Oct 2011 10:35 pm
rchrdleigh

England 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Baltic Blue

Agree it would have ticked all my boxes as well

Post #115653 3rd Oct 2011 10:40 pm
The Valeter

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black

sweetfreedom wrote:
I still think it's a great shame LR shelved this, the Ventura. A seven seat FL (FL2.5?) which was due 2012....this was the car I really wanted. Space, style and economy....a damned shame!

Looks very smart. Anyone know why it was shelved? I can only guess that if it was to come out in 2012 it would be too near FL3..Some Evoque features visible there.

The Evoque floorpan is Freelander up to the front footwells then re-engineered completely though a few chassis legs are the same so I was told this morning by a LR/RR salesman. (Past) Freelander 2 HSE 2010 MY In Rimini Red.
(Past) RR Evoque Dynamic Lux Si4 In Firenze Red.
(Past) RR Evouque Pure Tech in Barollo Black with bespoke Firenze Red colour coding.
(Present) Freelander Metropolis 2015 MY In Santorini Black with Ivory Premium Leather.

Post #115654 3rd Oct 2011 10:46 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
jutrem

Canada 2008 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Tonga Green

Like everything but the side vents in the "Ventura" mockup. A seven seat option would be great on the Freelander 3.

Post #115656 3rd Oct 2011 10:58 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

sweetfreedom wrote:

That looks like those funsters at Auto Express have been at the mushroom tea again! Rolling Eyes

The sequence is usually:

1. Make up a PhotoShop image around a couple of existing / about the be launched models (in this case the FL2 and Evoque).

2. Invent some impressive sounding quotations from "Factory Insiders".

3. Say that the project has been "shelved" just before it's about to be completely de-bunked!

It's worked for them for years, why stop now? Rolling Eyes

Post #115661 4th Oct 2011 7:00 am
jaksbak@freel2

Australia 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

Personally, I'm struggling to see a position for an updated Freelander 2 (FL3) at all. The Evoque has brought Range Rover and it's luxuries toward the masses, whilst the proposed Defender range will entrench Land Rover as the genuine offroad option with updated levels of comfort and practicality. I therefore don't see how the Freelander fits in, as it's neither a luxury SUV (when compared to the Evoque or Range Rover Sport) nor is it a genuine off-roader like the Defender or the Discovery. The FL2 is a great vehicle. I love the comfort of the drive and it's pretty handy offroad, but strategically, it's positioned in the middle and we all know what "neither here nor there" means. There might be one last crack at the FL2 before the Defender's hit the decks in 2015(?). My call - the FL3 would be a lower priced, more offroad (LR) Vehicle (eg: adjustable air suspension, low range) to fill the void until the Defenders arrive, rather than luxury enhancements which would pit it against the Evoque.
Just my thoughts . . . . .

Post #115681 4th Oct 2011 11:18 am
Marcus

Switzerland 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey
underwhelmed following extensive test drive

Hi all,
interesting discussion! I'm just glad to see I'm not the only one feeling somewhat underwhelmed after driving the Evoque. Tested the SD4 5-door Prestige. Interior was very refined and full of high quality materials, as expected from RR. But that's where it ended for me. The (very) low position of the seats, high doors, and snug set up made me feel way too boxed in, claustrophobic almost. On top of that, our 6-year old son on his booster seat had difficulty peering over the window sill, and the boot has very little space. All in all, definitely not a family car. In addition, I found the ride much firmer than expected, and the engine somewhat refined, but definitely not quiet.
Upon bringing it back to our dealer (in Geneva, Switzerland), they asked me how I liked the Evoque experience, fully expecting a positive answer (and signature on the waiting contract). When I replied cautiously negative, I was almost kicked out of the showroom. Laughing
Felt good hopping back in our 2008 FL2 SE again! So the hunt is back on for a replacement, as our FL2 has already clocked 79000km. Now seriously looking at the Disco4, but have also tested the all new Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD Overland .... and that is a serious contender right now!

Post #115694 4th Oct 2011 1:20 pm
Marcus

Switzerland 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

Just to add to my previous post .... I do understand there's an eager market for the RRE, as reflected in the pre-sale orders in Switzerland and elsewhere. Here it was very clear which constituency this car is aimed at: young professionals (singles and couples), with no children, and $$$ to burn. If the RRE would have popped up 20 years ago, I would have stood in line as well ... Laughing

Post #115697 4th Oct 2011 1:30 pm
sweetfreedom

Re: underwhelmed following extensive test drive

Marcus wrote:
Now seriously looking at the Disco4, but have also tested the all new Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD Overland .... and that is a serious contender right now!

I know this is a LR FL2 forum but I would have to agree about the latest Grand Cherokee. We have the previous version and that's been brilliant, really benefitted from the Merc tie-in with the 3.0CRD engine. And now the new one is miles better again, quite awesome in fact. If I were spending £35k+ I would have the GC over the Evoque in a heartbeat... FL2 GS Auto '58reg

Post #115721 4th Oct 2011 5:58 pm
sweetfreedom

Tigger wrote:
sweetfreedom wrote:

That looks like those funsters at Auto Express have been at the mushroom tea again! Rolling Eyes

The sequence is usually:

1. Make up a PhotoShop image around a couple of existing / about the be launched models (in this case the FL2 and Evoque).

2. Invent some impressive sounding quotations from "Factory Insiders".

3. Say that the project has been "shelved" just before it's about to be completely de-bunked!

It's worked for them for years, why stop now? Rolling Eyes

Funnily enough not the case this time....though sometimes what you say is correct

Was an official LR project named "Project L486"

Basically a seven seat LWB FL2 (FL2.5?). What is interesting is these pics are from 2008 when the story surfaced so the Evoque-ish front end was pre-Evoque.

Project was shelved quite recently to make way for increased Evoque production due to increased demand.... Censored !

Of all the LR stuff anticipated this was the one we wanted........... FL2 GS Auto '58reg

Post #115722 4th Oct 2011 6:06 pm
The Valeter

Can't really see why LR even considered the 7 seat version tbh. Yes it does look good but surely if your want a 7 seated LR then that's what the Discovery is for. Making the FL2.5 will just saturate the market or lose Discovery sales? (Past) Freelander 2 HSE 2010 MY In Rimini Red.
(Past) RR Evouque Pure Tech in Barollo Black with bespoke Firenze Red colour coding.
(Present) Freelander Metropolis 2015 MY In Santorini Black with Ivory Premium Leather.

Post #115755 5th Oct 2011 12:04 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
sweetfreedom

Executive Valeter wrote:
Can't really see why LR even considered the 7 seat version tbh. Yes it does look good but surely if your want a 7 seated LR then that's what the Discovery is for. Making the FL2.5 will just saturate the market or lose Discovery sales?

Why? In a word: 'economy'

People need economy these days and the Disco is too thirsty for many. Also LR still have nothing to compete with other marques frugal 7 seat crossovers...

LR seem to be getting themselves in a pickle with model proliferation, and maybe this was a step too far. But my dealer was adament that this model was green-lit only to be stopped at the eleventh hour for increased Evoque production.

Jeep have also tried the 'two entirely seperate ranges' but it didn't work for them and they have ditched several models in the UK and now doing vastly better I hear. Not saying LR is going that way but no doubt they are concerned about overlap and losing sales of the dearer vehicles. FL2 GS Auto '58reg

Post #115757 5th Oct 2011 7:03 am
The Valeter

sweetfreedom wrote:
Executive Valeter wrote:
Can't really see why LR even considered the 7 seat version tbh. Yes it does look good but surely if your want a 7 seated LR then that's what the Discovery is for. Making the FL2.5 will just saturate the market or lose Discovery sales?

Why? In a word: 'economy'

People need economy these days and the Disco is too thirsty for many. Also LR still have nothing to compete with other marques frugal 7 seat crossovers...

LR seem to be getting themselves in a pickle with model proliferation, and maybe this was a step too far. But my dealer was adament that this model was green-lit only to be stopped at the eleventh hour for increased Evoque production.

Jeep have also tried the 'two entirely seperate ranges' but it didn't work for them and they have ditched several models in the UK and now doing vastly better I hear. Not saying LR is going that way but no doubt they are concerned about overlap and losing sales of the dearer vehicles.

Good point there re economy I guess.

One would think with all this production & the possibility of a new good seller a second production line would be in order! (Past) Freelander 2 HSE 2010 MY In Rimini Red.

Post #115762 5th Oct 2011 9:29 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 5 <12345>