Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > With Evoke outselling Freelander 4:1 where are the offers?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
Tigger

United Kingdom 

Here's a worrying thought for everyone:

If Land Rover can sell 3 times as many Evokes as Freelanders, at around 1 1/2 times the price, why would Land Rover bother with the Freelander, or it's replacement, at all?....

Post #115469 2nd Oct 2011 7:13 pm
sweetfreedom

rchrdleigh wrote:
Evoque is taller than LRX but about the same length.

Just checked and I reckon the images look accurate for the respective heights as LR give the Evoque coupe's at 1605mm and FL2 at 1740mm with the Evoque 5dr at just 1635mm but with a flatter roofline...

So whatever Evoque you choose it will be over 4" lower than your FL2

To me it felt more like a jacked-up estate car maybe like an Audi Allroad or Forester height FL2 GS Auto '58reg

Post #115471 2nd Oct 2011 7:20 pm
rchrdleigh

England 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Baltic Blue

I agree if you take the bare statistics there is quite a difference. What has not been taken into account is that the Evoque sits lower on the chassis than the Freelander which reduces the difference inside the cabin although it is still lower but not by as much as 4 inches.

Post #115476 2nd Oct 2011 8:10 pm
sweetfreedom

Tigger wrote:
Here's a worrying thought for everyone:

If Land Rover can sell 3 times as many Evokes as Freelanders, at around 1 1/2 times the price, why would Land Rover bother with the Freelander, or it's replacement, at all?....

True..hope not though

That actually did happen at Jeep, they discontinued the Patriot when the new Compass arrived, they were supposed to be for different markets but that's not how it worked out. Interestingly the Patriot which always seemed stupidly low for a 4x4 was approx the height of the Evoque (1640mm)

I do wonder whether this model proliferation will work against LR in the end, most other marques are rationalising

And the all new defender will be an interestingly defining moment FL2 GS Auto '58reg

Post #115479 2nd Oct 2011 8:12 pm
rchrdleigh

All new Defender might be more of a threat to Discovery 4 than Freelander.

I suspect (and hope) that Freelander will continue as it ticks all the boxes that most current owners want. Yes there are things that could be better and I'd really like to see one on the Evoque chassis and with some of the Evoque bits and pieces but I'm still firmly in the Freelander camp when it comes to looking at a replacement of my current 2nd Freelander 2.

Post #115481 2nd Oct 2011 8:17 pm
sweetfreedom

rchrdleigh wrote:
I agree if you take the bare statistics there is quite a difference. What has not been taken into account is that the Evoque sits lower on the chassis than the Freelander which reduces the difference inside the cabin although it is still lower but not by as much as 4 inches.

Yep, I gathered that but in 4X4 terms a vehicle that is 4" lower is an awful lot. People actually buy lift kits that are just 2" and that makes a whole lot of difference both visually and off-road.

Interestingly the Evoque's wading depths, and front/rear axle clearances are near identical to FL2, so I don't think there is much lowering down on the chassis as you suggest. Certainly looking at the pics most of the lost height is surely in the cabin and glass areas.

Sorry, nobody will ever convince me that the Evoque is as roomy at FL2 FL2 GS Auto '58reg

Post #115482 2nd Oct 2011 8:20 pm
sweetfreedom

rchrdleigh wrote:
All new Defender might be more of a threat to Discovery 4 than Freelander.

I suspect (and hope) that Freelander will continue as it ticks all the boxes that most current owners want. Yes there are things that could be better and I'd really like to see one on the Evoque chassis and with some of the Evoque bits and pieces but I'm still firmly in the Freelander camp when it comes to looking at a replacement of my current 2nd Freelander 2.

In spite of my neghead reaction to the Evoque I am actually quite fond of the front end styling, and would like to see a move in that direction with FL3 but that would perhaps be too close to the Evoque! And as you say the new Defender could threaten all the models other than the big (proper) RR. This is where the proliferation gets complex.

I had hoped the Defender was going to be ultra rugged in the same vane but just alot better to drive but early renditions have me thinking 'skoda yeti' FL2 GS Auto '58reg

Post #115483 2nd Oct 2011 8:25 pm
rchrdleigh

Ground clearance on an Evoque is slightly better than it is on a Freelander. The Evoque chassis is a different design to Freelanders and the body sit lower on the Evoque chassis although the chassis itself has a slightly better ground clearance. Probably didn't explain what I was trying to say properly and at the end of the day we're probably only talking about a difference of 2 inches at most but to an over 6ft driver/passenger those 2 inches might be all the difference between comfort and discomfort.

Wading depths are predicated as much on where the air intake is located as anything else and in both Freelander and Evoque it's on the front wing. Stated wading depths for both are the same.

Post #115484 2nd Oct 2011 8:25 pm
sweetfreedom

rchrdleigh wrote:
Ground clearance on an Evoque is slightly better than it is on a Freelander. The Evoque chassis is a different design to Freelanders and the body sit lower on the Evoque chassis although the chassis itself has a slightly better ground clearance. Probably didn't explain what I was trying to say properly and at the end of the day we're probably only talking about a difference of 2 inches at most but to an over 6ft driver/passenger those 2 inches might be all the difference between comfort and discomfort.

I am wondering also whether the sunroof fitted to the high spec Evoque I sat in would ahve reduced headroom even further? I know with the Jeep GC ('05-'10) the elctric sunroof robbed over ana 1" of valuable headroom, not in great supply with that model anyway.

I know I'm going on abit (hohum) but just first impressions, in the showroom against all the other LR products, the Evoque just looked to me like a slightly raised car and not a proper 4X4. The 5 door has an attractive shape and scaled up I'd be interested, but my oh my the 3 door is imho quite revolting. It does remind me of a vehicle from the past and I can't remember what it was, maybe a wacky japanese import?! FL2 GS Auto '58reg

Post #115487 2nd Oct 2011 8:32 pm
rchrdleigh

I have to agree with you first impressions may lead to the view you have. All I can say is that having driven both an Evoque (5 door) and Coupe (3 door) I was left feeling much more impressed by the ride, handling and performance both on and off road.

Why not try for a test drive next time you're at your Dealers - you might be suitably surprised or it might serve to confirm your current views.

Post #115490 2nd Oct 2011 8:39 pm
sweetfreedom

rchrdleigh wrote:
I have to agree with you first impressions may lead to the view you have. All I can say is that having driven both an Evoque (5 door) and Coupe (3 door) I was left feeling much more impressed by the ride, handling and performance both on and off road.

Why not try for a test drive next time you're at your Dealers - you might be suitably surprised or it might serve to confirm your current views.

You know, it probably does drive better. It should, it's a much newer design. But for me it's about how I would feel about driving it, how practical it is, and what it would say about me; and that is why I couldn't buy one.

I think LR purposely went out to create something different from FL2, perhaps lower and sleeker was the remit, and in that they have succeeded. But for me, a 4X4 it is not. FL2 GS Auto '58reg

Post #115493 2nd Oct 2011 8:50 pm
rchrdleigh

You already own a Land Rover and if you believe the marketing people Evoque is not targeted at you but at a sector of the market that have not previously considered a Land Rover/Range Rover product and by all accounts they have been succesful in attracting new customers to the brand.

For the rest of us who are happy with the rest of the LR/RR range let's hope they keep making the models we want.

Post #115498 2nd Oct 2011 8:55 pm
The Valeter

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black

Evoque is an entirely different package to a Freelander, for a start there seems now to be more of a separation between the Range Rover name & Landrover - this can be seen on the dealer totem poles & all present literature. The emphasis on Range Rover has always been on luxury & on Landrover it's ruggedness but with the new marketting they seem to be getting more seperated.
The Evoque is for various different types of folk including those who don't want a large bulky 4x4 but something that has the capabilities of a proper Landrover/Rangerover but more of a car like look, for those who want a more sporty looking vehicle & more sporty to drive, for those who I guess want a fashion accessory.

I like it/ I love it, it, I have driven on the unleashed event the Dynamic 2.0Turbo petrol & bung it in the dynamic mode & it handles/corners like a sports hatchback. Yesterday I drove at Harwoods in Edenbridge a Dynamic SD4 manual as I wanted to see the difference & though I personally far prefer a petrol car to a diesel this SD4 manual was excellent. I just can't work out why LR only offer the petrol version in automatic guize Rolling Eyes A sporty model is better suited to a manual gearbox imo.
The Freelander is there if you want a more practical 4x4 as it has more rear end space etc but lacks on spec in comparison significantly & if you tried driving it in a sporty fashion you would probably lose it on a bend as the Evoque has far less body roll but then that is not what a FL is designed for is it. If you want less toys etc the FL2 is good except for a wasted screen that just sits there looking at you until you use the sat-nav. That said a FL does what it is intended for & that is a damn good 4x4.

The Evoque is there if you simply want something that is different, has the LR brand behind it, does pretty much the same as a FL2 in terms of 4x4 capabilities, & you are not bothered about less rear end space but handles like a hot hatch (Dynamic) or has a very sumtuous interior (Prestige) then this car is for you. The Pure is very nice indeed too considering it is the entry model that probably has better spec than the equivalent priced FL2 for the more premium side of the brand! (Past) Freelander 2 HSE 2010 MY In Rimini Red.
(Past) RR Evoque Dynamic Lux Si4 In Firenze Red.
(Past) RR Evouque Pure Tech in Barollo Black with bespoke Firenze Red colour coding.
(Present) Freelander Metropolis 2015 MY In Santorini Black with Ivory Premium Leather.

Post #115539 3rd Oct 2011 12:44 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
jutrem

Canada 2008 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Tonga Green

In Canada the starting price for an Evoque (Pure auto $46,995) is only $2000 (1300 pounds) more than a base Freelander 2/LR2 ($44,995). In the U.S.A the price difference is a bit bigger at ~ $6000. Since the LR2 is getting old(~6 model years now.) and not a huge seller in North America, expect the the Evoque to essential replace it until the Freelander 3 comes out. I'm a 2x LR2 owner but at today's prices no reason to buy one unless you need the slightly larger cargo space. The Evoque is faster, has newer tech, better fuel economy and more standard features(Nav). It makes sense for Land Rover because the Evoque targets the majority of the braindead Whistle buying public since most of the Freelander 2's "curvy styled" competition (BMW X1 & X3, Acura RDX, Infinity EX, Audi Q5) are not "real" SUV's but outsell it here at the same price with less features (... and 100x the number of dealerships).

The good new is at least the Evoque is based on the Freelander 2.

Post #115648 3rd Oct 2011 10:02 pm
rchrdleigh

jutrem wrote:

The good new is at least the Evoque is based on the Freelander 2.

Actually it isn't. Evoque has a different chassis and (auto)gearbox, some modifications to the engine to make it quieter and more fuel efficient. At most only about 30% of an Evoque comes from the Freelander. Maybe the next Freelander will be based on the Evoque chassis?

Post #115649 3rd Oct 2011 10:06 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 5 <12345>