« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Snow.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
Speedway

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Baltic Blue
Snow

Mine are Continental contact 4X4 M+S, not sure if they are any good will wait and see when it snows. Gone, 2007 TD4 SE Auto Baltic blue, clear side repeaters, full sized alloy spare.

English by birth..... Yorkshire by the grace of God.

Post #114230 21st Sep 2011 2:59 pm
Mav71

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

RBaron wrote:
You might say that, but I bet you that my ALFA with winter tyres is far better in the snow that any 4x4 (including Freelanders) with summer tyres.

Our Freelander has new Wrangler HP AWs on so should be fine in the snow. The ALFA in the winter has Vredestein Snowtrac 3 tyres, that I've had for two winters, and they are very good!

I don't care how good your winter tyres are. It won't be a match for any decent 4x4. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #114267 21st Sep 2011 6:46 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Mav71 wrote:

I don't care how good your winter tyres are. It won't be a match for any decent 4x4.

yes it will Rolling Eyes , on average snowy road conditions, Yet in severe drifts etc the 4x4 will gain the upperhand, winter tyres will give vastly superior braking abilty too

put the winter tyres on a 4x4 and than your talking At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #114269 21st Sep 2011 7:07 pm
chicken george

landy19840 wrote:

Thankfully land has not shown a the pic after this where he had to lift the seat out of the defender and pee on the handbrake drum to defrost it after parking in the snow , been there done that, but luckily I had a flask of coffee to use instead

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  At work
At home

Post #114272 21st Sep 2011 7:15 pm
landy19840

Israel 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

the super hot transmisiion kept the handbrake defrosted, but barely used it was Censored

Post #114278 21st Sep 2011 7:53 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

chicken george wrote:
Mav71 wrote:

I don't care how good your winter tyres are. It won't be a match for any decent 4x4.

yes it will Rolling Eyes , on average snowy road conditions, Yet in severe drifts etc the 4x4 will gain the upperhand, winter tyres will give vastly superior braking abilty too

put the winter tyres on a 4x4 and than your talking

Interesting point. As I mentioned in another post, my uncle fitted winter tyres to his BMW 320d and he could get about ok in 'average snowy conditions' but I suspect RWD wouldn't be as secure as FWD due to no weight at the back.

In any case he did have to admit defeat on the side streets around here simply because the snow was too thick and some ground clearance was needed.

If it were not for my uni fees I would have most likely purchased vredesteins for the undisputed superiority but I simply can't afford it. Interestingly though, there were points last winter when I thought surely winter tyres are needed here and I am going to get into difficulty (it was grim conditions) and yet the wranglers were totally unfazed.

My point is, for those who cannot afford the superior winter tyres, why have goodyear cracked it with the M+S wranglers but continental's equivalent seem to be not so good according to owners comments on here? LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #114279 21st Sep 2011 8:08 pm
athelstan

The Doctor wrote:
chicken george wrote:
Mav71 wrote:

put the winter tyres on a 4x4 and than your talking

Interesting point.

I would have most likely purchased vredesteins for the undisputed superiority ..........

The Doctor
Sometimes your inexperience and natural enthusiasm get the better of you. In every independent objective winter tyre test I have read in the last 4 years (and there have been many all from national motoring institutions, governmental safety bodies and independent journals across the EU to have formed a broad consensus) I have never seen reported that any winter tyre from Vredestein has come out with an, I quote: "Undisputed Superiority." In reality all the test have shown that Vredestein regularly feature in the middle order i.e a decent tyre scoring average marks in each category of their (the testers) objective criteria.

So in the interest of the members here, let's have less hype and more factual reporting when discussing a subject that's very much safety focused. Tyres, be they winter, summer or universal m&s are not bling, they are essential kit and as such demand respect not spin doctoring.

Post #114316 22nd Sep 2011 7:22 am
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Athelstan, I meant superiority over M+S tyres in snow that's all.

My main point was why according to the general view on here, Goodyear seem to have made the wranglers better performing in winter than continentals equivalent. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #114319 22nd Sep 2011 7:43 am
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Totaly agree with athelstan Thumbs Up In particular "So in the interest of the members here, let's have less hype and more factual reporting when discussing a subject that's very much safety focused."

NB: Vredestein winter tyres only score average in Scandinavia also. There are far better winter tyres available in the UK as there is in Scandinavia, but these are probably only really necessary if you drive in extreme conditions over a long period of time. In reality I would say that any "good" winter tyre is far better that any summer tyre for driving in snow and ice in the UK winter conditions and well worth the extra expenditure. 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #114322 22nd Sep 2011 8:06 am
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Andy C, as per my above post I only claimed vredesteins were superior to M+S in snow etc not that they are the best winter tyre. I don't agree that they are well worth the expenditure though. I accept all of their advantages but I cannot afford them and in the bad snow around here on side streets etc, winter tyres would not get me any further than my wranglers did.

Of course in the right circumstances they would get the FL2 further but for the use I get in the winter conditions, they would be a waste of money. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #114325 22nd Sep 2011 9:48 am
wizking

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Indus Silver

I, like you, Doctor consider the Wranglers to be an excellent tyre and never missed a beat last year in the bad snow we had.

Post #114326 22nd Sep 2011 9:54 am
Fuzzkaz

England 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 Sport Auto Firenze Red

To throw my hat into the ring. I am looking forward to my first winter in a Freelander, and I have invested in 17" Vredesteins, my logic is that including buying 17" alloys off E-bay they were still £160.00 cheaper than a new set of 19" tyres, so I get a full 7mm/8mm of tread to start my winter on rather than the 19's I have part worn. I would rather enter winter with new tyres and save my summer tyres for summer. As an added bonus I get to avoid the salt getting at my shadow chome finish alloys. The number of people you see with legal but only just legal tyres in winter amazes me, anyway as the tyres were only £500.00 for a set I figured I had nothing to lose. Unless they wear out in 10,000 miles or something daft like that. SD4 Sport LE Firenze Red - no options or modifications yet, but it's early days.

Post #114340 22nd Sep 2011 11:11 am
wizking

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Indus Silver

The 17" are a much better wheel to use in the snow anyway, larger tyre circumference and softer rubber. On top of that, if you do skid into a curb, a lot less chance of scrapeing the wheel edge.[/i]

Post #114342 22nd Sep 2011 11:21 am
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

wizking wrote:
The 17" are a much better wheel to use in the snow anyway, larger tyre circumference and softer rubber. On top of that, if you do skid into a curb, a lot less chance of scrapeing the wheel edge.[/i]

Very true. 17's are standard on my GS and less prone to damage whilst off roading which is fortunate as I go off roading quite often. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #114356 22nd Sep 2011 1:16 pm
chicken george

The Doctor wrote:

Very true. 17's are standard on my GS and less prone to damage whilst off roading which is fortunate as I go off through puddles quite often.
 At work
At home

Post #114359 22nd Sep 2011 1:25 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>