« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Do I or Don't I?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
npinks

United Kingdom 

i was pondering on this last night, whilst surfing the internet and forums

I have seen some stunning cars which i would like to have swapped to, I'm in the same situation, car paid for in full, doesn't need anything doing to it, just the services and tanks of diesel every so often, I keep coming back with its working, nothings going wrong with it, its big enough for out needs at the moment so why change, though i suppose i still have a years warranty on it, which is also part of my factoring too, that and its working why spend more money for the sake of swapping Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #113984 20th Sep 2011 10:07 am
wizking

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Indus Silver

Sometimes I think it is safer (some may say boring) to stick with a good reliable known car. Having heard on here on quite a few occasions about the dreaded Friday car, the amount they are now asking for the newer model and the poor amount they are offering part exchange. Even if you had to replace several large components you would still have money left over from the initial layout and the money you lose as you drive away!!

Post #113989 20th Sep 2011 10:44 am
BrianAbbott

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Ipanema Sand

If your current transport is reliable, I'd wait 2 years then get a new FL3 Thumbs Up Brian

MY11 FL2 SD4 GS
Extras to same spec as XS apart from the Satnav, plus Xenons.
Ipenema Sand, Ebony.

Post #113991 20th Sep 2011 10:56 am
Captain Worm

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Narvik Black

Its a real case of heart ruling the mind (or vice versa) I've been in situations where I have had a great car that I loved, nothing wrong with it an not costing me any money but I ended up swapping it because I get bored and like to try things out. I don't think I have ever kept a car longer than two years and admittedly I have picked up some Lemons in that time... But then again I've also had some great cars.

I've never bought the same car twice though.... Although since having the Freelander (and unless I win the lottery) I might just be in the market for another in a yr or two.

At the end of the day is got to come down to your own personal circumstance. If you have the yearning (and the money for a new car) then carry on, but if there is nothing wrong with yours and you still like it - keep it! Freelander 2 TD4 Auto, SE, Narvik Black, Alpaca full leather, Rear Headrest Entertainment System, 6 CD, 18 HSE Wheels, Privicy tints

Post #113992 20th Sep 2011 11:10 am
ad210358

England 

shilen wrote:
A LR dealer in Aylesbury has an SD4 HSE for £31,490 with bitch glass, its a bit cheaper than other SD4 HSE's as its unfortunately in black Whistle

Ignore that one on two counts, where it is, the sales staff are Censored and as Shilen says, its Censored B Censored K

Post #114009 20th Sep 2011 12:33 pm
Mav71

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

rchrdleigh wrote:
I was under the impression that 2007 models had a 160 bhp 2.2 litre diesel engine.
The change to SD4/TD4 was introduced for the 2011 MY with 190 bhp and 150 bhp respectively.

Your right, mine has been re-mapped for the past 3 years hence the comment about it matching the SD4 at 190bhp.

npinks wrote:
i was pondering on this last night, whilst surfing the internet and forums

I have seen some stunning cars which i would like to have swapped to, I'm in the same situation, car paid for in full, doesn't need anything doing to it, just the services and tanks of diesel every so often, I keep coming back with its working, nothings going wrong with it, its big enough for out needs at the moment so why change, though i suppose i still have a years warranty on it, which is also part of my factoring too, that and its working why spend more money for the sake of swapping

Good point. I am near on 2 years of running the car with no warranty, and so far it hasnt really bitten me in the arse, apart from the boot lid switch. Clutch was done this year but it would not have been warranty anyway.

The thing is, I am not bored with it at all. I am also a firm beleiver that if a car has proven to relaible, then there is a good chance ot will stay like it. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #114024 20th Sep 2011 1:30 pm
Mav71

I think to be honest, I would rather keep the £16k needed to swap and really get my money's worth out of this one.

The Mrs is happy to keep it and it is probably me more than her that would be looking to change. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #114025 20th Sep 2011 1:31 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

If you fancy a "new" car

what about having it wrapped in another colour? same car, new lease of life Idea Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #114028 20th Sep 2011 1:35 pm
mojo

2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e S Manual Stornoway Grey

Don't do it, what's the point in spending £16K to get pretty much the same thing again, just with a new number plate??????? For the £16K you could buy something really special second hand as a 'toy', Caterham 7 perhaps? Might even be able to get an Audi RS4 for that kind of money now..... And you'd still have a Landy for the upcoming winter...

Post #114030 20th Sep 2011 1:53 pm
Andy S

United Kingdom 

I bought a brand new SD4 HSE with premium leather in March, chopping in a much loved but hardly used 2009 RRS 2.7 HSE, specced exactly as I wanted it. The FL2 is almost as good a car, cheaper to tax and insure, but only just. Fuel economy is only marginally better; the RRS did an average of 31 mpg against the FL2's 35 mpg ( I'm light footed in my green oval motors, as I have a Cooper S JCW for hooning about in - and that thing drinks). I've had two RRSs and neither of them missed a beat. The FL2 has already died on the motorway (failed DPF pressure sensor).

Should I have stuck with the RRS? Absolutely. Do I regret buying the FL2? yes a little. Why did I buy it? I had a bullet payment to make to keep the RRS outright (I buy using the LR Advanced Purchase scheme) and the dealer had the SD4 in stock; they made me a terrific px offer on the RRS (which they sold on immediately and cleared £4K) and to make their quarter's bonus from LR took £2K off the FL2 after I had specced it up. Leaving me with a brand new car and a payment to the dealer of only 1/3 the amount of the bullet on the RRS.

Morale of the story? If you like what you've got and it owes you nothing, stick with it. I'm looking for a RRS again.

Post #114119 20th Sep 2011 9:06 pm
Mav71

Well after a VERY long discussion between the two of us this evening, we are going to keep our HSE for another year and then see how we go.

One of the things that made us decide? We borrowed a demo SD4 HSE in black and bought it home. Yes it was quicker and I love the auto box. It also drove a little nicer as it was a new 61 plate car so it is bound to feel a little tighter than our near on 5 year old car.

So then fitted a spare set of my wife's private plate just to see why it would look like and all of a sudden it hit home that it looked identical to ours in every way apart from the wheels which were the later style 19's.

If I was handing over £16k, I would want something to look different. Although we have said we will keep it for another year, I am tempted to keep it until Freelander replacement comes out in a few years. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #114151 20th Sep 2011 10:36 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Wait for the new FL2 or FL3 or what ever it's called, I'm hoping more details are released between now and when I change to decide on what I'm doing Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #114154 20th Sep 2011 10:52 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12