« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > RPM Drops when accelerating in 4th
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
skleen

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Rimini Red
RPM Drops when accelerating in 4th

When accelerating in 4th gear and going through the 2000 to 2500 RPM band sometimes the rev counter will drop and you can sometimes feel a hesitation but then picks up again.

We have been to a dealer today and they say that it is the clutch slipping and even though it is a Land Rover approved used car the clutch is not covered so we have been quoted £730 Censored if the clutch has gone if the problem is not a manufacturing defect.

If the clutch was slipping I thought it would happen high up the rev range and that the RPM would rise rather than fall.

Not sure what to do next.

Cheers Thumbs Up

Post #111942 2nd Sep 2011 9:11 pm
razmabaz

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Santorini Black
Re: RPM Drops when accelerating in 4th

skleen wrote:
~clip~

If the clutch was slipping I thought it would happen high up the rev range and that the RPM would rise rather than fall.

Cheers Thumbs Up

I was of the same opinion until I thought that the slippage could be before the revs drop, then the clutch 'bites' again... should imagine it would do it some other gears too though. Freelander 1 TD4 HSE - gone, 2 weeks after the Cat.Converter!
Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto MY08 - Santorini black

Post #111971 3rd Sep 2011 8:51 am
superspark

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue

How long have you had the car? Is the no warranty left on it? ive never heard of that problem before. a fairly known problem is the revs will increase by 200-300 rpm as the clutch slips then returns. This is a common fault on the manual model.
If the dealer wont pay anything towards the cost then before you agree to have the work done there try asking them for the number for landrover customer care. Explain your plight to thrm, be nice and you just might get a contribution from them which is better tjsn a kick in the arse

Post #111973 3rd Sep 2011 9:33 am
flycop2000

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

I have had the same problem for the last 18 months although its very intermittant. The dealer can find no fault each time they looked at it.
I have been told that its the duel mass fly wheel causing the problem as it is a known problem by Citreon / Peugeot dealers. They have similar engines.
Very Happy Very Happy

Post #112014 3rd Sep 2011 6:53 pm
mojo

2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e S Manual Stornoway Grey

Sounds similar to my recent problem, same rev range when car began to judder and then pick up again, rev counter would drop a bit when it happened. New clutch and Dual Mass Flywheel has fixed it, but it was done under warranty. This is sounding like a very common problem as since mine happened, have seen loads of posts on here about it.

Post #112666 10th Sep 2011 10:30 am
Atrix

Latvia 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Lago Grey

Today, I've noticed the same problem: short dropping of RPMs while accelerating in the 4th, 5th and 6th. The juddering have been already present for the past year. The car has only 30 TKm on the clock (MY2009). Can I make a warranty claim for the clutch? I've got more than 1 full year of waranty on my FL2.. Almost 800 Pounds.. Sounds a lot of money.. Sad

atrix

Post #112743 11th Sep 2011 4:00 pm
mojo

2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e S Manual Stornoway Grey

I'd say definitely a warranty job. There was no argument from my dealer about it at all, they just did it.

Post #113060 13th Sep 2011 9:07 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

lots about this on here - do a search. Most people seem to have got it done under warranty. and it's a known fault, not normal wear and tear.

Post #113099 13th Sep 2011 11:20 pm
The Valeter

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black
Re: RPM Drops when accelerating in 4th

skleen wrote:
When accelerating in 4th gear and going through the 2000 to 2500 RPM band sometimes the rev counter will drop and you can sometimes feel a hesitation but then picks up again.

We have been to a dealer today and they say that it is the clutch slipping and even though it is a Land Rover approved used car the clutch is not covered so we have been quoted £730 Censored if the clutch has gone if the problem is not a manufacturing defect.

Cheers Thumbs Up

I had this problem on my FL2 when I got it. I complained countless times to 3 dealers & Landrover themselves & always made out to look as though I imagined it when after a YEAR the guy at LR I had spoken to 8 months earlier finally admitted (or let it slip) that is is a characteristic of the car. Had they told me that from the start (presuming they knew that is) then I would have been at that time a whole lot more happy with the car rather than getting sicker of it as each day passed!

Having said this I havn't known my clutch to slip though sometimes on hill starts it smells a lot. (Past) Freelander 2 HSE 2010 MY In Rimini Red.
(Past) RR Evoque Dynamic Lux Si4 In Firenze Red.
(Past) RR Evouque Pure Tech in Barollo Black with bespoke Firenze Red colour coding.
(Present) Freelander Metropolis 2015 MY In Santorini Black with Ivory Premium Leather.

Post #113100 13th Sep 2011 11:22 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1