Home > General > lost remote
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
nickwill

lost remote

Sad
Help !!!

I’ve lost one of the remotes for my 08 Freelander and have been quoted approx £150 for the remote, on top of which there will be a charge for programming it in the service department. I know, what a P****** for losing it in the first place; at least it gave me a reason to turn the house upside down.

Any advice on how to reduce the cost of a replacement would be most appreciated.

Thumbs Up

Post #111353 28th Aug 2011 8:39 am
superspark

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue

Theres not a lot you can do about it as landrover have you over a barral. you could try looking on ebay as sometimes you can get one there cheaper than the dealers. Remember if you go down that route only buy a brand new unit which has not been programed to any other car.
You will still need landrover to program it for you. I dont know if any other key programmer could do it, best make a few phoncalls first good luck

Post #111358 28th Aug 2011 9:30 am
simont

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Tonga Green

Probably be cheaper to hire a private detective to find it for you!!!!! Whistle

Be very careful with the fobs on ebay as many are thought to be from written-off vehicles and sold as if they can be reprogrammed (they can't) They are most definietly one-time program only.... 2002 Honda VFR800
2002 Toyota Celica 140 Silver (mid life crisis - again!)
2007 FL2 GS Manual Army Reconnaissance Green + freel2.com sticker Smile
2004 Toyota Celica 140 Black - Gone
2000 Toyota Celica 140 Silver - Gone
1998 Toyota Celica ST Pearl Green - Gone
1996 Nissan Primera 1.6 - Gone
1994 Rover Montego 1.6 Auto - Gone

Post #111359 28th Aug 2011 9:48 am
druand

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Fuji White

When 1 key is missing the car has to be reprogrammed then existing + new key programmed to car.
Missing key then of no use to a third party.
When you have original 2 keys adding a 3rd is a simple opperation.
When I bought my 1st FL2 (an ex demo) in 08 dealers had lost 1 key. When I went to have new key programmed the technician????? spent 1 hour with lap top only to manage new key working and perfect original not working.
"you will need another new key your original became faulty when reprogrammed" proceeded to order another new key.
Had I been paying for his incompetance!!! 2 new keys + 2 hours @ £100 plus vat £500 approx.

The mistake was answering "YES" when screen prompted "are 2 keys present" answer should have been NO.
I did all courses on Ford WDS which is similar to FL as was owned by Ford when FL" was designed. All FL2's (3) Gone
2011 Mercedes C180 CGI Gone
FL2 GS Auto SD with heated leather, factory tints, alloy spare and a few other bits.

Post #111364 28th Aug 2011 10:33 am
Mona Geeza

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Stornoway Grey
Re: lost remote

nickwill wrote:
Sad
Help !!!

I’ve lost one of the remotes for my 08 Freelander and have been quoted approx £150 for the remote, on top of which there will be a charge for programming it in the service department. I know, what a P****** for losing it in the first place; at least it gave me a reason to turn the house upside down.

Any advice on how to reduce the cost of a replacement would be most appreciated.

Thumbs Up

I was following a Locksmiths van the other day and it said written on the back, amongst other things he could do was Vehicle Remotes/Keys reprogrammed, so maybe they might be able to, worth a phone call perhaps?

Post #111366 28th Aug 2011 10:51 am
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

I can offer one piece of advice ! you wont like it but you need to inform the insurance company who will insist the cars imidiatley made secure.
If you do not have proof of having new keys programmed and the old keys deleted if the car is ever stolen the insurance company will ask for both sets of keys and may check with Landrover history how many keys have been issued to the vehicle ! so if they find three and you have two you will find no insurance.
This happened to a pal of mine and he lost over 20K in a claim !
The insurance companies will always find a way of wriggling out any claim, now if your vehicle was stolen and recovered they will often get a dealer to tap into it to see how many keys in the system as well !
you have been warned ! my mate was devastated ! all for a lost key !

Post #111375 28th Aug 2011 2:09 pm
druand

What Oldgeezer says relates exactly to first sentence of my post. All FL2's (3) Gone
FL2 GS Auto SD with heated leather, factory tints, alloy spare and a few other bits.

Post #111378 28th Aug 2011 2:49 pm
simont

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Tonga Green

As the keys are one-time programmable.

If the Car is recoded then the original key will be no good!!!!

So this process will require all new uncoded keys. Confused

If it didn't then we could have an already coded key added to our cars - now wouldn't that be easier Whistle 2002 Honda VFR800
2002 Toyota Celica 140 Silver (mid life crisis - again!)
2007 FL2 GS Manual Army Reconnaissance Green + freel2.com sticker Smile
2004 Toyota Celica 140 Black - Gone
2000 Toyota Celica 140 Silver - Gone
1998 Toyota Celica ST Pearl Green - Gone
1996 Nissan Primera 1.6 - Gone
1994 Rover Montego 1.6 Auto - Gone

Post #111381 28th Aug 2011 3:43 pm
druand

No, keys are reprogrammable.
If you have 2 originals 3rd(new key) is added to existing programme.
If you only have 1 original(1 lost) Car programme deleted, new one installed, old key and new key programmed to car. Lost key of no use to car but could be reprogrammed and added as a 3rd key if found. All FL2's (3) Gone

Post #111390 28th Aug 2011 5:22 pm
superspark

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue

theres a new key for sale on ebay. bidding is at £40 at the mo Thumbs Up

Post #111408 28th Aug 2011 9:56 pm
nickwill

Thanks guys for all your advice. Seems to me that the only way to go is to buy a replacement from L/R that if you speak to them nicely you can get for about £105 Inc vat, exc key blade and exc programming. Programming will be about £50, and you need to have the original to programme the new one, the lost one becomes "useless" Also, L/R service have told me that if the "lost one" is found, I can take it in and they can the programme all 3 together, however, another £50 to do it!!!

Post #111566 30th Aug 2011 2:26 pm
nickwill

oldgeezer wrote:
I can offer one piece of advice ! you wont like it but you need to inform the insurance company who will insist the cars imidiatley made secure.
If you do not have proof of having new keys programmed and the old keys deleted if the car is ever stolen the insurance company will ask for both sets of keys and may check with Landrover history how many keys have been issued to the vehicle ! so if they find three and you have two you will find no insurance.
This happened to a pal of mine and he lost over 20K in a claim !
The insurance companies will always find a way of wriggling out any claim, now if your vehicle was stolen and recovered they will often get a dealer to tap into it to see how many keys in the system as well !
you have been warned ! my mate was devastated ! all for a lost key !

Oldgeezer, did your mate have a new key programmed as if he did, L/R would have the records? I assume he did not bother getting a new one or informing the insurance company. A bit of a B***** to lose a key the have your car nicked, spooky coincidence!!!

Post #111567 30th Aug 2011 2:32 pm
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

his key was lost over a year before his car was nicked. he was out with all his family in Southend when it was nicked.
It was suspected that the vehicle had been winched onto a low loader. His vehicle was recovered over a year later found with many other cars !

Remember that your key fob has a manual key tucked down the side of it and can be used in the passenger door handle to unlock the vehicle.
I suspect if you informed the insurance company they will insist on whole new lock set ! and no doubt that will be loads of dosh !

Post #111568 30th Aug 2011 2:42 pm
dunkley201

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

My car (bought at a good discount) came with only one key - with a loose promise the spare key would be chased up. After much delay (I bought the car in July) with no result I contacted the previous owners (a lease company). They confirmed the car was returned to them without the second key, the loss of which they charged for to offset reduced residuals. I checked the cost of a replacement key with local LR dealer - £230 including programming Shocked
An ebay search revealed a key blank at £6.99 + PP and a new fob at £105 + pp. Dealer programming was priced at £60. I bought the key blank (a pattern item made in Italy) and had it "laser" cut at a locksmiths in Newark (£10). The fob came from Guy Salmon in Wakefield. The programming was done by Stratstone Nottingham for £50. Total £176.24. 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

08 FL2 TD4 SE Manual in Rimini Red (Now Gone)

Post #117443 19th Oct 2011 3:29 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1