Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > I actually LIKE the built in Sat Nav (now with 2011/12 disc)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
gusmagoo

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey
I actually LIKE the built in Sat Nav (now with 2011/12 disc)

Well when I first started reading about the built in Sat Nav, having been spoilt for the last year or so with my handheld IGO 8 unit, I thought I was going to be disappointed with the built in one, especially as I’d had the choice of a few cars without it.
I tried it out for a few days with the 2007/2008 disc in and thought it was fine. So took the plunge and haemorrhaged the wallet to buy the latest discs. The new disc updated the installation as expected, (engine running, wait 10 minutes) now I’m not sure if it actually made any noticeable improvements to the displayed information or not as I didn’t really give the old disc chance to demonstrate itself; But the new disc is in and the Navigation seems to work very well.
I just want it to get me there, give me a few choices, an overall view of my journey, split colour screen and no wires dangling to worry about (or theft for that matter) It does all that, plus estimation of arrival time, mileages, a choice of motorway junctions (to leave from), full postcode search (if you work out to use the space bar) look North or straight up, zooms in at each junction, and it shuts up when I’m on the (bluetoothed) phone.
Oh and unlike some other compaints on here it seems to quickly alter its route if you ignor it for any reason.
I don’t need Google or anything else for that matter, my smartphone does all that. If you’re speeding you need to slow down, so I’m not arsed about the lack of speed camera info either (Q me getting points)

Now all I need to do is make that all important backup disc, use it, and keep the original safe. Whistle 57 HSE AUTO with H.I.D's - Grey with Black leather. (H.S.E. Heightadjustable Seats Extra Sad )
My Aviation website - UKHelicopterPilot.com Cool

Post #111133 25th Aug 2011 2:56 pm
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

yes I would agree, I have always found the built in sat nav adequate and very useful.

I have had a Tom Tom for a few years and it spends all it's time in a bedroom drawer. ( I got it as a present and have only used it a few times in a previous car )

I've always thought after market sat navs are naff, especially with a huge sucker and wires everywhere !!

Iain

Post #111140 25th Aug 2011 4:14 pm
dpcwright

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Baltic Blue

I have to agree with you - I have never owned or used a sat-nav before and I think the built in version is brilliant

Post #111204 26th Aug 2011 10:32 am
russben

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Santorini Black

I've not been impressed with the factory fit sat-nav system (2008/2009 disc version). It was too long-winded to access favourite destinations, and cancelling route guidance was way too complicated. However, we're going down to Dorset for a week, so I wanted to get a newer disc but wasn't keen on spending £169. I had a search online and found this site:

Link and details of illegal discs removed by admin

They list a 2010/2011 disc at £39.99 (comes out at £40.98 at checkout). I took a chance and ordered one on the Saturday of the bank holiday weekend. It arrived Tuesday. The disc looks a bit 3rd party, but hey ho, you don't see it in the dvd machine in the car so, out I went and with fingers crossed inserted the disc. It gave me a warning that it was updating the software/firmware, and the after about 5 minutes all was done.

I have to say now it is much better to use, things are easier to input & find, even the cancel route guidance is much easier to find.
So far it has accurately plotted all routes I have inputted.

I'm now much happier with the updated system and at £40, it was a bit of a bargain. Very Happy

I still think the T*mT*m is far easier to use, though. Thumbs Up Poke it, Poke it, make it do it again!!

Gone - 2008 Freel2 HSE Santorini Black
Hello - 2010 RRS TDV6 3.0 HSE Santorini Black

Post #111763 1st Sep 2011 10:48 am
Captain Worm

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Narvik Black

So is the 2010/11 disk much different from the 2009/10 disks?

After a bit of practice I actaully like the satnav also. I know a number of people on here slate it but IMO it works very well and when you get used to it is very useful.

Put it this way it got me to France and navigated me around all the cities / towns with ease. Admitidly it does sometimes take you down funny roads, all in the sake of keeping it the shortest distance and rerouting if gone off track does'nt always work out best, other than that Thumbs Up

If it could be better I would like to see it store speed limits and so calculate routes based on fastest routes not just shortest etc. Also I think the reroute needs to be more intelligable recalculating the whole route rather than just sneding you back to the same route.

Oh and TMC worked really well in France which I am supprised about. accurate within a few hundred metres... Although I tuned of the auto reroute option as this can take you on a wild goose chase Freelander 2 TD4 Auto, SE, Narvik Black, Alpaca full leather, Rear Headrest Entertainment System, 6 CD, 18 HSE Wheels, Privicy tints

Post #111766 1st Sep 2011 11:29 am
russben

I'm not sure about the difference between the 2009/2010 and 2010/2011 disc. Mine was the 2008/2009 version. So far I havn't been down any new roads that weren't on the early disc.
Things do appear different, for example industrial areas now show a little 'factory' symbol.

Oh, and I forgot to say that apparently as an existing customer, all my future update discs will be £25. I'm not in any way on commision or linked to them, just had quick service and a good price. Poke it, Poke it, make it do it again!!

Post #111769 1st Sep 2011 11:42 am
Wing

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

Just visited the site and they appear to be offering the latest Western Europe 2011/2012 disk for £39.99 +p&p Cool

Post #111772 1st Sep 2011 12:25 pm
russben

I followed the link for the 2011/2012 disc and it takes you to the Land Rover Navteq site.
By the way, the 2011/2012 genuine version seems to be out of stock. Poke it, Poke it, make it do it again!!

Post #111773 1st Sep 2011 12:28 pm
Martin
Site Admin & Owner

United Kingdom 

Link and details of illegal discs removed by admin. Please do not discuss or encourage the use of copied sat nav discs on this site.

Post #111796 1st Sep 2011 4:47 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

http://www.amazon.co.uk/2012-Collins-Road-...amp;sr=8-1 At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #111805 1st Sep 2011 6:20 pm
russben

Martin wrote:
Link and details of illegal discs removed by admin. Please do not discuss or encourage the use of copied sat nav discs on this site.

Understood, Martin. Embarassed

At the time of ordering, I wasn't aware it was a copied disc. I still don't know for certain that it is. Like I said, if you follow the link for the 2011/2012 discs, it takes you to the genuine Navteq site.
If they are illegal copies, though, how does this seller advertise openly on the internet without prosecution? Poke it, Poke it, make it do it again!!

Post #111808 1st Sep 2011 6:57 pm
Martin
Site Admin & Owner

United Kingdom 

At the price you paid, it is certainly an illegally copied disk.

Post #111814 1st Sep 2011 7:51 pm
russben

I've had another search of t'internet & aparently these discs are sold as 'Backup' discs. They are legal to buy if you currently own the original disc. If you sell or otherwise get rid of the original disc, you have to destroy your 'backup' disc.

Hmmm. Confused Poke it, Poke it, make it do it again!!

Post #111831 1st Sep 2011 11:16 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Post removed offering a backed up copy

As per previous post by Martin this is not allowed and offering these via threads or PM may result in the member(s) been banned
Rolling Eyes Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #111847 2nd Sep 2011 8:34 am
gusmagoo

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Funny how there are websites that openly advertise and have been for a while...
You would think that they would have been closed down long ago...
Still, going back to my original posting, I think the built in Sat Nav is quite good, but the replacement discs are unreasonably expensive at £150 a set... 57 HSE AUTO with H.I.D's - Grey with Black leather. (H.S.E. Heightadjustable Seats Extra Sad )
My Aviation website - UKHelicopterPilot.com Cool

Post #111849 2nd Sep 2011 8:40 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>