Print this entire topic · 
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

I trust you made it home OK ? Smile

Post #110598 19th Aug 2011 5:43 pm
jp

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

wheel bearing
If it were me, then i would find somewhere to take the wheel and hub off. I would then slap as much thick grease on the bearing as poss, and box it all up.

Sealed unit Can't be Done , Big Cry Big Cry

Post #110603 19th Aug 2011 6:48 pm
outtheoffice

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Hi all,

An update, we are home and a freelander is sat in our drive.....alas not ours. The noise got worse the day before we were due to leave and when I put my hands on the offending wheel and shook it I heard a clanging sound. Anyway called up LR assistance who sent out a local french mechanic who said he doubted it would get us back to the UK. THis was backed up with a call to a technician at Stratstones....if its started clanging its getting near the end was his view.

So LR assistance arranged for it to be towed away. A rental car was supplied to get us to Calais where we picked up a UK registered freelander for the crossing and run up the M20 / M1.

We have a meeting with the dealer principle in MK tomorrow to discuss what action we are seeking from Stratstones. I have no idea when our car will return..... we are told about 3 weeks and the rental freelander has to go back to tomorrow.....so its the bus for me then!!!!!

Post #110760 21st Aug 2011 10:19 pm
Swingwing

"The car is 2 years old with 28k on the clock"

Shouldn't be your problem, manufacturers warranty should take care of it plus a courtesy car I would have thought.

Glad your back in one piece.

Post #110761 21st Aug 2011 10:37 pm
ad210358

England 

As Swingwing says, if you have a LR Assist car no problem all part of the vehicles three year warranty Thumbs Up

Post #110765 21st Aug 2011 11:24 pm
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

shame the car didn't make it home.............I was sure it would. Sad

hope everything's ok with it when you eventually get it back.

Iain

Post #110775 22nd Aug 2011 8:16 am
outtheoffice

Yup we have a Freelander 2 on hire now until the 5th September - nice to try an automatic, mine is a manual. Have taken the very good advice and photographed every body panel and the mileage before ours went off on the back of the breakdown truck.

Seeing Stratstones this PM to discuss all the issues with the car and how they can help to restore my faith in LR. On the telephone they have said they will be looking to do something commensurate with the large number of faults and where the faults occured. Not sure what they will come up with.

Post #110781 22nd Aug 2011 9:02 am
oldgeezer

I'm sorry to hear it didn't make it home, I was sure you would be ok, I wonder whether that bearing had already been going for sometime and not noticed as its unusual for them to fail that quickly !
Glad you photo'd every panel, wise move, lets hope it arrives back ok.
Check the fuel level as well as mine was relived of spare wheel and tank full of fuel when mine was recovered few years ago.
I would negotiate for 2 year extended L/R warranty with l/r assist to run from the third year ! that will save you about £1200.

Post #110784 22nd Aug 2011 9:17 am
simont

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Tonga Green

Just dropped my freely at the car hospital - with suspected Rear Passenger side Bearing failure (quite noisy)

I need to drive from North East to Leicester and wanted to be sure things would work ok.....

I only noticed the bearing noise when I turned down the radio when talking to a passenger and thought "what the f*** is that noise???" (I may have said it too!!!)

Hope it isn't the rear diff Whistle

Thankfully I took out the 12 month warranty when I bought it. 2002 Honda VFR800
2002 Toyota Celica 140 Silver (mid life crisis - again!)
2007 FL2 GS Manual Army Reconnaissance Green + freel2.com sticker Smile
2004 Toyota Celica 140 Black - Gone
2000 Toyota Celica 140 Silver - Gone
1998 Toyota Celica ST Pearl Green - Gone
1996 Nissan Primera 1.6 - Gone
1994 Rover Montego 1.6 Auto - Gone

Post #110821 22nd Aug 2011 4:09 pm
AiiEEX

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

Surely wheel bearings would come under 'wear and tear' of the vehicle and not be included in any warranty?
Obviously they have to last for a certain length of time ie: Fit for purpose of the job.

Also, I found that when one bearing goes, the other one soon follows. So best to replace BOTH if you can. Or at least that's what I would do.

Post #110829 22nd Aug 2011 4:50 pm
simont

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Tonga Green

AiiEEX wrote:
Surely wheel bearings would come under 'wear and tear' of the vehicle and not be included in any warranty?
Obviously they have to last for a certain length of time ie: Fit for purpose of the job.

Also, I found that when one bearing goes, the other one soon follows. So best to replace BOTH if you can. Or at least that's what I would do.

My warranty document specifically states "front and rear wheel bearings" - but they don't say whether they replace them in pairs or not - will ask the garage.

Anyway the garage has confirmed that the bearing is at fault - part ordered - just have to wait..... Thumbs Up 2002 Honda VFR800
2002 Toyota Celica 140 Silver (mid life crisis - again!)
2007 FL2 GS Manual Army Reconnaissance Green + freel2.com sticker Smile
2004 Toyota Celica 140 Black - Gone
2000 Toyota Celica 140 Silver - Gone
1998 Toyota Celica ST Pearl Green - Gone
1996 Nissan Primera 1.6 - Gone
1994 Rover Montego 1.6 Auto - Gone

Post #110848 22nd Aug 2011 6:02 pm
outtheoffice

Been to talk to Stratstone and they have offered me my money back or a replacement car to the same value. They accepted that 2 break downs in the first 6 weeks of ownership is not confidence inspiring and will spoil the enjoyment of the vehicle.

Have opted for the money back and had a fun afternoon looking at possible replacements, shortlist at the moment is an X trail, Passat Estate or a suprise outsider the Peugeot 508 Estate which looks a well equipped package.

So a short and disappointing period of LR ownership and a somewhat spolit holiday, but atleast Stratstone has done the right thing and a no quible refund (before ours returns to the UK so I dont get any hassle in the event of damage) seems a fair outcome to me.

Post #110866 22nd Aug 2011 8:02 pm
oldgeezer

fairplay to Stratstones ! hope you get sorted Bow down
wish mine was that simple.

Post #110868 22nd Aug 2011 8:10 pm
Swingwing

You pay your money - you make your choice.

None of your options inspire me greatly, but of the three I would go for the VW Passat. Had one for 4 years, a 2.0 TDI DSG, and it was a good car. Drank oil ( 1 litre every 1000 miles and considered OK by VW), but it never stopped. A major gearbox problem at 35,000 miles - £2,500 to repair under warranty, but again not a stopper just a problem picked up on a service.

Now got the FL2 and love it. I wouldn't be put off so easily, there are 3000 + members of this forum, not many post regularly and of those who do a few are having problems. LR is average for problems and you have just had yours.

Post #110869 22nd Aug 2011 8:31 pm
dunkley201

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I have just p/exed my '07 Passat DSG Estate for the Freelander. The Passat had hesitation problems during warranty resulting in DSG Mechatronic unit change; uneven rear tyre wear ("sawtooth") caused by poor alignment; jammed key fob in ignition (warranty); finally, injector failure causing the engine to die in the fast lane (no limp mode for this type of injector). The Passat was a good car overall but not a great car - and certainly not as good as my previous '98 and '04 models. I nearly bought a later model but once I tried the Freelander I was smitten - it still puts a smile on my face when I drive it! 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

08 FL2 TD4 SE Manual in Rimini Red (Now Gone)

Post #110872 22nd Aug 2011 8:49 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>