« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > 1 week with an eD4
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue
1 week with an eD4

I have done a 176 mile run this morning in the eD4. Drives very well, even cornering round a roundabout hard the rear end is solid and doesnt jump around at all, you wouldn't know its two wheel drive
I set the cruise to 62mph and over the 176 miles it has returned 50.8mpg which I take my hat off to L/Rover the stop start technology and improved dynamics with just 2WD I have to say 50+mpg is something else for a car that size and its comfort is great.
The compromise is the loss of 4WD but the economy is great so if cheaper road tax and economy then this has to be a great choice.
Impressed enough to think do i really need 4WD. Surprised

Post #109495 7th Aug 2011 11:58 am
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Right up until it snows bad and you end up a laughing stock cos you can't get any further than 'normal' cars. I would never buy one no matter how much it saves on fuel and tax.

Anyone who says 'it doesn't snow that often so I am not bothered' should be a family estate car perhaps. Don't buy a car that can talk the talk but can't walk the walk. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #109506 7th Aug 2011 6:04 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Bit harsh that, slap some winter tyres on a 2wd, the clearance will help in deep snow and it will be pretty good on ice probably better than a 4x4 on normal tyres, the weight reduction will help braking in ice and snow too.

If someone wants a high car but isnt fussed about 4x4 nowt wrong with an ed4 At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #109507 7th Aug 2011 6:23 pm
Mona Geeza

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Stornoway Grey

The Doctor wrote:
Right up until it snows bad and you end up a laughing stock cos you can't get any further than 'normal' cars. I would never buy one no matter how much it saves on fuel and tax.

Anyone who says 'it doesn't snow that often so I am not bothered' should be a family estate car perhaps. Don't buy a car that can talk the talk but can't walk the walk.

I know I wouldnt dare go out in a 2 wheel drive one in the snow and ice, unless it had all black windows, it would be so embarrassing not being able to get going, cant do Land Rover any good either, you can just hear folk saying, "oh I was stuck behind a Freelander 2 today couldnt get past the damn thing it was stuck and holding everything up, always thought they were 4 wheel drive, good job I never bought one, theyre hopeless"
They should put a big badge on the back, saying FREELANDER 2 WHEEL DRIVE to avoid confusion Laughing

Post #109509 7th Aug 2011 6:24 pm
druand

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Fuji White

Auto Express (i think) road test on FL 2WD, the Freelander performed better off road than 4WD Toyota Rav 4
and Honda Crv.
I am off road regularly so 2WD would not be an option. All FL2's (3) Gone
2011 Mercedes C180 CGI Gone
FL2 GS Auto SD with heated leather, factory tints, alloy spare and a few other bits.

Post #109511 7th Aug 2011 6:31 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

I don't see that Land Rover has any choice but to manufacture 2WD versions of its vehicles in future; CO2 emission and MPG requirements will make it impossible to do anything else.

I wonder how many others walked into their local dealer, attracted by the CO2 and MPG figures of the eD4, and then wound up ordering the TD4? I know that I did.

Post #109515 7th Aug 2011 6:45 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

chicken george wrote:
Bit harsh that, slap some winter tyres on a 2wd, the clearance will help in deep snow and it will be pretty good on ice probably better than a 4x4 on normal tyres, the weight reduction will help braking in ice and snow too.

If someone wants a high car but isnt fussed about 4x4 nowt wrong with an ed4

With regard to driving through deep snow like we experienced last winter, an eD4 fitted with wintracs would indeed perform better but it would not have a hope in hell of keeping up with mine fitted with wranglers.

I went up some very steep side streets covered with fresh deep snow and the eD4 would get stuck no question. 4WD and GGS mode gets you there easily. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #109516 7th Aug 2011 7:22 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

The Doctor wrote:

With regard to driving through deep snow like we experienced last winter, an eD4 fitted with wintracs would indeed perform better but it would not have a hope in hell of keeping up with mine fitted with wranglers.

never underestimate how crap normal tyres are and how much better winter tyres are At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #109519 7th Aug 2011 7:52 pm
ad210358

England 

Not so sure I agree with that The Doctor, you would get a lot better traction on fresh snow than compacted snow, I wouldn't be so quick to judge on what the 2 wheel drive on can do untill you have tried it. I to saw the article mentioned by Druand, it out performed all the other pretenders that were 4x4.

Post #109520 7th Aug 2011 7:53 pm
Pedro

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Galway Green

chicken george wrote:
The Doctor wrote:

never underestimate how crap normal tyres are and how much better winter tyres are

Couldn't agree more. Had a 2wd Porsche when i lived in Germany and had winter tyres on each winter - never had any problems on snow.

Post #109521 7th Aug 2011 8:03 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Yes it does outperform other 4x4's but then they aren't a patch on the proper FL2 anyway. I don't care how much winter tyres improve traction etc, the eD4 could not compete with my FL2 in snow. I drove on compacted snow and braked on it and never had any problems. If I find an eD4 owner with winter tyres I will challenge them to a nice test (where safety permits). I will of course win and eD4 owners or supporters will eat humble pie. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #109522 7th Aug 2011 8:08 pm
ad210358

England 

There will be little differance in braking between the four wheel drive and the 2 wheel drive, it won't be so good at getting the power down to the wheels though.

Post #109523 7th Aug 2011 8:15 pm
toeknee

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Sumatra Black

Quote:
The Doctor wrote

Anyone who says 'it doesn't snow that often so I am not bothered' should be a family estate car perhaps. Don't buy a car that can talk the talk but can't walk the walk.

Quote:
Yes it does outperform other 4x4's but then they aren't a patch on the proper FL2 anyway. I don't care how much winter tyres improve traction etc, the eD4 could not compete with my FL2 in snow. I drove on compacted snow and braked on it and never had any problems. If I find an eD4 owner with winter tyres I will challenge them to a nice test (where safety permits). I will of course win and eD4 owners or supporters will eat humble pie.

I personally wouldn’t go for a 2 wheel drive Freelander; however it’s all down to personal preference, and people may chose the 2 wheel drive version because of the better mpg, and lower emissions and yes for some it’s a life style choice of owning a Land Rover. Suggesting people get a family estate rather than a FL2 misses the point, the FL2 is a family estate and again some people, may well like the high driving position to say that of a Mondeo / Audi Estate.
You seem to enjoy taking your FL2 off road and testing its abilities on Green Lanes and challenging terrain, you are to be commended for doing this, however again personal choice comes in to play as some people wouldn’t dream of taking a £30,000k motor off road, and just require the benefits of the 4 wheel drive for on road driving.

As people have already suggested sticking on winter tyres will improve the traction and braking of the 2 wheel drive FL2 to a point where it will outperform some of the other 4 x4’s on the market.
You seem very keen to challenge people a lot, as mentioned in previous posts re boy racers , people who cut you up, Sit back and relax, and who cares what people drive, you have a FL2 that’s a 4 wheel drive, and a manual enjoy it and let other people enjoy their choice of vehicle

Oh and the best vehicle i drove last winter that was brilliant on steep snowy banks was my wife's 10yr old Yaris

Post #109524 7th Aug 2011 8:49 pm
ad210358

England 

I expect one of the main reasons LR released a two wheel drive version was to open up the Fleet Car market, many companies have an emissions group (around the 150 mark not to bothered as it does not apply to me) and employees can only have a vehicle that is below a certain point, the Freely in four wheel drive format was a smidging over the threshold for many company car drivers but making a two wheel drive version brought it below the point, opening up the Freelander to a larger market

Post #109527 7th Aug 2011 9:00 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Yes toeknee I do like to get stuck in but interesting point about the Yaris. 3 years ago I had a Ford Fiesta ST running on Pirelli P-Zero's. To say it was made to be sporty it coped well in the snow. Although the snow in 2008 wasn't a patch on last winter. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #109528 7th Aug 2011 9:13 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>