« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Judder/vibration when changing down
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Wing

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black
Judder/vibration when changing down

Did a quick search for this without any results, so thanks in advance for any ideas!

I've recently been noticing a slight noise and judder/vibration that appears to be coming from the back end after changing down and while the engine is braking.
Tonight it was quite severe while changing down from 4th to 3rd using engine braking alone. The sound and judder is very similar to hitting a rumble strip with the rear wheels and lasts for a split second while the engine is braking then everything is back to normal.
I've noticed it at varying degrees from 4th to 3rd and 3rd to 2nd, only when changing down and only under engine braking, but never as noticeable as tonight.

It's going in to have my headlamps looked at next week (bi-xenons sticking on full beam) and I would like a little ammunition to fire at them in advance when I mention this. Does anyone have any ideas, or perhaps experienced similar?

Last edited by Wing on 1st Sep 2011 8:24 pm. Edited 2 times in total

Post #82667 2nd Dec 2010 9:01 pm
Wing

Bump Very Happy

Post #82774 3rd Dec 2010 1:54 pm
Captain Worm

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Narvik Black

Clutch Question Question Freelander 2 TD4 Auto, SE, Narvik Black, Alpaca full leather, Rear Headrest Entertainment System, 6 CD, 18 HSE Wheels, Privicy tints

Post #82776 3rd Dec 2010 2:03 pm
Wing

Not sure Captain, the noise and vibration appear to be coming from the back end.

Post #82847 3rd Dec 2010 8:38 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Hate to suggest this - could it be the rear diff?

There is athread running with a noise on overrun, and tyre wear, Dunk has had the bad news that his rear diff has/is shot.

Topic link
http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic7234.html Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #83068 5th Dec 2010 10:33 am
Wing

Cheers for the link Andy. I've been following that thread and hope Dunk gets it sorted.

My problem doesn't sound like it's connected. I'm not experiencing any uneven tyre wear "although I've only done 5000 miles". I also don't get any vibration under normal driving. Strange thing is, since I started this thread the car hasn't exhibited the symptoms, which is just my luck since it's booked in on Tuesday.
From new, I have been "occasionally" getting a very slight judder, only felt through the clutch pedal when the clutch was biting. I put this down to the DMF as I had a far worse judder on my previous 3 series diesel BMW which was well known for it.
I've noticed this latest problem over the past month or so and it seems to come and go, only occurring while changing down and the clutch is biting, but definitely from the back end. The last occasion was the day I started this thread when the noise and judder was quite pronounced and I haven't had either problem since.
I've been following a thread regarding faulty haldex units on a Volvo forum which bears some similarity to my problem, but again, not exactly the same. It's going in next week, so I'll see what they come up with when I mention it, although I think I can guess the reply! Neutral

Post #83077 5th Dec 2010 11:52 am
Niblets

2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Zermatt Silver

Hi Wing, I'm new to the forum although have been reading plenty of threads in the last 18 months since getting my FL2!

My FL2 has developed exactly the same issue regarding down-change and engine braking as you have (or had?) with the judder etc from 4th to 3rd (and now on mine occasionally 5th to 4th). The problem is intermittent, although now happening more often than not, and typically worst following a long run.

I would say the noise/judder I get is now mostly from either the centre-front of car or just to the left around nearside front wheel area. That said, it first started as appearing to come from the rear and does still appear to “shift” in location?

It’s been to the garage a couple of times but, typically and maybe not unsurprisingly, they have not been able to replicate the issue – very frustrating.

Did you manage to make any headway with yours? If so I’d be very interested to hear how it went.

Thanks.

Post #105301 16th Jun 2011 1:12 pm
bigalf1961

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Lago Grey

diff mounting rubbers Question rainy-city
xs

Post #105303 16th Jun 2011 1:28 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Niblets

Is that soomething that I can visually check myself?

Post #105310 16th Jun 2011 2:40 pm
simont

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Tonga Green

Just my 2p.

I have been told for many years now (and I believe the same is true for modern driving schools) that you should avoid doing engine braking!

The reason being that brake pads and discs are far cheaper than engine, clutch and diff(s).

Thoughts.... 2002 Honda VFR800
2002 Toyota Celica 140 Silver (mid life crisis - again!)
2007 FL2 GS Manual Army Reconnaissance Green + freel2.com sticker Smile
2004 Toyota Celica 140 Black - Gone
2000 Toyota Celica 140 Silver - Gone
1998 Toyota Celica ST Pearl Green - Gone
1996 Nissan Primera 1.6 - Gone
1994 Rover Montego 1.6 Auto - Gone

Post #105312 16th Jun 2011 2:46 pm
Niblets

No, quite right, but it's not high load engine braking at all, just gentle down shift when slowing, say, changing from 4th to 3rd at 30 mph to prevent the engine revs dropping too low. It's actuall quite hard to avoid it form happening.

Post #105316 16th Jun 2011 3:13 pm
simont

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Tonga Green

Niblets wrote:
No, quite right, but it's not high load engine braking at all, just gentle down shift when slowing, say, changing from 4th to 3rd at 30 mph to prevent the engine revs dropping too low. It's actuall quite hard to avoid it form happening.

true Thumbs Up 2002 Honda VFR800
2002 Toyota Celica 140 Silver (mid life crisis - again!)
2007 FL2 GS Manual Army Reconnaissance Green + freel2.com sticker Smile
2004 Toyota Celica 140 Black - Gone
2000 Toyota Celica 140 Silver - Gone
1998 Toyota Celica ST Pearl Green - Gone
1996 Nissan Primera 1.6 - Gone
1994 Rover Montego 1.6 Auto - Gone

Post #105317 16th Jun 2011 3:14 pm
Wing

Took mine in for its first service last week along with a list of problems, the judder being top of the list! I insisted that someone come out on the road with me for a short drive, as the last time I mentioned it, they apparently couldn't find any sign of the problem.
Since then it has gotten worse to the point I can generate the judder/vibration at will when changing down from 4th to 3rd and did so when the mechanic was with me, who acknowledged he could hear and feel it, although it was only slight at the time due to not being able to get a decent speed up on the roads he took me on.
After the service I asked what was the problem and was told "they played around with the heat shield and handbrake cables that were causing some kind of resonating" I got the impression the service tech didn't have a clue, so took my car home and noticed within the first mile that it was still happening, albeit slightly less.
I've had the car back for a week now and it is pretty much as it was before, so I'll be booking it back in soon. Sad

Post #105346 16th Jun 2011 8:50 pm
Niblets

It’s disappointing to say the least. I’ve had quite a few problems with mine and it seems that unless the technician can plug it in and get a laptop to read the error codes then not much is done. Mine is now also worsening to the point of occurring pretty much every down change from 4th to 3rd and sounding louder. It has also started to give the same judder, on occasion, from 5th to 4th.

It also has a couple of other issues so needs to go back to the garage in a week or two anyway so I’m going to drive the technician around until fully demonstrated! I’ll post any info that the garage can offer and would be interested to hear how you get on too. Good luck!

Post #105427 17th Jun 2011 2:32 pm
walsherz

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Zermatt Silver

Ive had the judder on down change for quite a while now and its now got any worse. Tends to always happen when comming to a roundabout and changing from 4th to 3rd. I can make it happen in other gears too if I try.
It does feel a bit like going over rumble strips but I also think its like when you have a car lowered or oversize tyres on and the tyres rub the arches on full lock.

Ive not had any other issues like tyre wear although the tracking could do with looking at as its pulling to the left.

Post #105599 19th Jun 2011 7:29 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>