Home > General > Towbar advice please
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
GeorgeG

United Kingdom 
Towbar advice please

Hello again

I will probably be ordering a new SD4 HSE shortly. I may try to negotiate a deal on a tow bar, in addition to the discount I have already negotiated. Anyone else tried this?

Initially I want to tow a trailer, but may eventually be forced by other half to buy a caravan. Is there any particular type I should go for, or rather, avoid - removable, fixed height or swan neck? Also, I am not to sure what type of electrics I need to go for - the 2 sockets or the 13 pin type.

Any advice gratefully received.

Post #102525 18th May 2011 8:41 pm
dunroof

Ask Chicken George for some advice. Use the forums PM system. He likes to be addressed, 'Fellow Caravaner."

Post #102530 18th May 2011 8:45 pm
ad210358

England 

Go for the Brink or LR Detachable, looks neater, LR get their bars from Brink. there was some problems with the early detachables but I think Brink have managed to sort it now. A bumper cut about four inches square is required for the Brink/LR detachable bar but Witter do one that will not require a bumper cut.
Electrics wise 13pin is a lot neater and cheaper in the long run, you can still get an adapter for under a tenner to convert it to a standard 7pin for a light board or trailer.

Post #102533 18th May 2011 8:52 pm
ad210358

England 

dunroof wrote:
Ask Chicken George for some advice. Use the forums PM system. He likes to be addressed, 'Fellow Vaner."

Whistle

Post #102534 18th May 2011 8:53 pm
Big Dave

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

No no no, there's no cutting involved unless you have the HST bodykit (is that still available?! Confused )

We have the LR detachable, looks much neater than a fixed, and there's no major drawbacks for 'domestic' towing

2 sockets basically means that one socket powers the trailer driving functions, ie lights. The other the trailer accessories, fridges, winches etc.

13 pin combines the 2 sockets into one, and if you own a new trailer then this is likely to be the plug that is on your trailer. This type is slowly taking over in Britain and has been european practice for a long time.

Have a look at the trailer (s) you're intending towing if you own them, or check up on what is offered on the market at present. We've got the 2 sockets, but our trailers are a few years old.

P.S, I hope you picked the sarcasm up about CG Thumbs Up Mine: 2012 Golf GTI Edition 35
Family's: 2009 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Auto, Stornoway

Yorkshire - God's County

Post #102561 19th May 2011 12:40 am
ad210358

England 

Dave, mines cut and is the Brink/Thule Detachable, the crossmember will fit fit without cutting but it is pointless as if you dont do the cut you won't have full access to the receiver to insert the hook Confused

Post #102585 19th May 2011 8:29 am
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black
Re: Towbar advice please

GeorgeG wrote:
but may eventually be forced by other half to buy a caravan.

stand up for your self man, squeak squeak At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #102586 19th May 2011 8:30 am
mcphersonstrut

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

LR dealer fit/Brink swan neck detachable = bumper cut Thumbs Up

Post #102588 19th May 2011 9:00 am
Gunfa

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

If your fitting the brink Brink/Thule LR detachable a bumper cut is required.

[/url]
Back by Gunfa1, on Flickr[/img][/url] What if there were no hypothetical situations?

Post #102589 19th May 2011 9:02 am
EYorkshire

Not a good angle but Witter removable=no cut and can be fitted by any reputable fitting firm including software switching on, the height is less than the Brink but still way higher than the exhaust silencer.

Post #102590 19th May 2011 9:12 am
mcphersonstrut

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

EYorkshire wrote:
Not a good angle.......

Understatement Laughing you'd have been better taking the 'shot' with a shotgun Whistle

Post #102598 19th May 2011 10:17 am
decho

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Firenze Red

I have the Landrover detachable towbar with 13 pin eletrics and its a fine piece of kit. I negotiated a great discount on it when I bought the car new - if you dont ask you dont get! It did require a bumper cut but you would never know.

13 pin electrics are fitted to all new caravans now as far as I am aware so its probably the better option to go for in case you ever decide to buy a new van. Either way it doesn't matter that much because you can buy an adapter for a few pounds which will convert one way to the other. I use this when I tow my trailer which has 7 pin. I also wanted 13 pin because it looks neater that twin sockets

Post #102600 19th May 2011 10:30 am
EYorkshire

mcphersonstrut wrote:
EYorkshire wrote:
Not a good angle.......

Understatement Laughing you'd have been better taking the 'shot' with a shotgun Whistle

Rolling with laughter
I know Embarassed , the last time I got down to that level it wasn't a tow bar in front of me Laughing

Post #102602 19th May 2011 10:49 am
GeorgeG

United Kingdom 

decho wrote:
I have the Landrover detachable towbar with 13 pin eletrics and its a fine piece of kit. I negotiated a great discount on it when I bought the car new - if you dont ask you dont get! It did require a bumper cut but you would never know.

13 pin electrics are fitted to all new caravans now as far as I am aware so its probably the better option to go for in case you ever decide to buy a new van. Either way it doesn't matter that much because you can buy an adapter for a few pounds which will convert one way to the other. I use this when I tow my trailer which has 7 pin. I also wanted 13 pin because it looks neater that twin sockets

decho, that's great to know. What kind of discount did you manage to get? I was going to ask for a substantial discount on the basis that this would clinch the order for the dealer. I am not sure where to start from as I'm not sure what kid of mark up there is on them - I understand that dealers often use accessories as inducements because the cost to them can be fairly insignificant in comparison with the saving to the buyer.

Post #102657 19th May 2011 6:50 pm
decho

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Firenze Red

I got the sd4 GS Model with lots of added extras, I just keep squeezing the dealer who was very good.
I ended up getting the detachable towbar for half the price of the fixed towbar.
I didn't get discount on the car itself, but then I had a trade in and was going for their interest free 2 year deal(pay 50% now and 50% in 2 years) so I was happy with the deal.

I am going to tow for the first time this weekend(assuming they get the driveshaft replaced tomorrow!) so I will let you know how I get on. Its a great car though...I just hope this a a one-off problem with the leak on the driveshaft.

Post #102665 19th May 2011 7:32 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>