Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > TO buy .... or not to buy .... that is the question!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
moocow

United Kingdom 
TO buy .... or not to buy .... that is the question!

Hi all

I've been a stalker on here for ages, and have been wanting to buy a FL2 for what feels like a lifetime! I just wanted to say hello and ask for some advice......

I've spotted a FL2 HSE, 2007 auto with high mileage (82,000) and am REALLY interested in buying it, but I'm worried about what I might be getting myself into with a car of such high mileage ..... have you any advice?

I'm hopefully trading in my Ford Focus Titanium 1.6 auto, and the guy is selling the FL2 for £14,000 .... any help would be great!

Thanks in advance

Dan Thumbs Up

Post #102461 18th May 2011 11:49 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

If the car is in your budget, has full service history, (with none missed or very late) had all the updates done then subject to the car been test driven and no faults been found and you like what you feel then i don't think you should be worried about the higher mileage

you could always look towards a after market warranty too Thumbs Up Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #102463 18th May 2011 12:02 pm
Triple7

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

My 2p, i'd avoid high milers. It's a false economy. It maybe cheaper to buy, but it won't be as cheap to run. That's a 20k miles a year car. Probably motorway, so maybe less stressed, but the consumables will be coming up for replacement.

I would at least buy from a dealer and get the confidence of a warranty, but I think LR won't give a full warranty on a car with more than 60k miles.

In the end, if you have some cash in the bank for when things need fixing/replacing and the car has a full service history, it looks very tidy and drives great, then why not. 2010MY Freelander 2 HSE Auto
Santorini Black with Ebony Napoli Leather

Post #102467 18th May 2011 12:32 pm
freedieselauto

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Rimini Red

As a recent newcomer to the FL2, I can say that I am delighted with my 57 reg XS auto - you will not be disappointed.

Some early models had a problem with the filter in the power steering fluid reservoir getting clogged and depriving the pump of fluid. This manifests itself as heavy steering at very low speed and probably a whining pump. Relatively easy to fix if it is not too far gone. In view of the mileage, if it had a problem, it has probaly already shown and been corrected. Worth checking as a new steering rack and pump is costly to replace.

I carried out my own service recently which was quite easy. The Manual on ebay is a good reference for this plus this site is great for seeking help from very knowledgeable owners.

All the best. Let us know if you take the plunge! - 2007(57) XS Auto, Rimini Red, Alpaca Leather.
- GCS Hawke - Sports, BRG, Vulcan 2.1 inj'. My toy - built it myself in 2001.

Post #102468 18th May 2011 12:33 pm
landy19840

Israel 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

thats not that high milleage for a 2007 model, alongs it serviced and drives fine. I think it would be fine, some people are put off high milleage for some silly reason! Probably scared!!!

Go with what you think is correct

Post #102470 18th May 2011 12:38 pm
moocow

United Kingdom 

I'm just trying to get more details about the car from the dealer now. It looks like it's in quite good condition from the pictures, but I suppose I won't know anything until I give it a good spin.

If I was to find out who serviced it, would they be able to tell me the history of what's been done to it?

I'm soooo excited I could almost burst, I've been wanting at FL2 for ages, but as we all know the price has been sky high for just as long!

I have to say, I haven't taken the plunge and said hello on this site before, but I've been looking in for just over a year now and almost feel like part of the family already! Bow down

Post #102475 18th May 2011 2:04 pm
Triple7

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

If it's been serviced by LR, the cars full history will be there to view. 2010MY Freelander 2 HSE Auto
Santorini Black with Ebony Napoli Leather

Post #102476 18th May 2011 2:13 pm
MightyMildred

United Kingdom 

Welcome moocow.
I too went from a focus (my06 ghia) to a my08 FL2 SE (now have my11 HSE).
It was the best decision I've made. I loved my focus, it drove fantastically and when Mildred came along it was like having my fun focus but even better...
Hope you take the plunge.
Wishing you lots of luck
MM

Post #102496 18th May 2011 5:02 pm
moocow

United Kingdom 

Thanks MM!

It looks like I'm going to do it. I spoke to the indep dealer that's selling it and they had all the LR paperwork for it and the service history. I rang the LR dealer who serviced it and they confirmed they had carried all the services out, although it is due another one (£500 - I almost fainted!).

I'll get a 3 month warranty with it from the dealer.

Should I bother with an RAC inspection? It's £300 .... a LOT of money!

Thanks for all your advice so far - you've all been great!

Post #102504 18th May 2011 6:42 pm
dunroof

Oh, I can see another mortgage advance coming on here! I could quite happily use a Vauxhall Corsa instead of the two LR's I've got and I'd be quids in. They are a luxury, no two ways about it. Servicing is something we moan about, new tyres too and other things that go bump in the night. Yes, back to a Corsa, The only thing I'd have to get used to is the horizontal, bum so close to the road seating position. I've never driven or been driven in anything but a LR for the last 3 years.

Post #102527 18th May 2011 8:43 pm
moocow

United Kingdom 

Hahhaahha! Well said Dunroof!

Post #102532 18th May 2011 8:49 pm
moocow

United Kingdom 

So near .... yet so far!

Can you believe the cheek of some Ind. Dealers? I looked up what the price of both cars should be and part ex for my car is closer to £8k and the car he was selling was overpriced by over £500!

So I offered him £6k + my car (Approx £7k) = £14,000 - this is the amount the car was advertised for .... he refused!!! Wanted my car +£7k and wouldn't accept a penny less ...... so I told him where to stick it. Needless to say the car is still being advertised .... good luck to him (Tight git!).

So I'll hold on until something else comes up .... I'm hoping the price will come down a little bit as it's coming into summer ..... so fingers crossed!

Thanks for all your help chaps/chapesses ..... I'll not be far away! Thumbs Up

Post #103301 25th May 2011 9:45 pm
Natwest

United Kingdom 

Try this Glass' Guide link for an indicator to trade in values
http://www.virtual-showroom.co.uk/scripts/...essionid=0

You'll be able to gauge if the dealer is being realistic or not for your Focus as the Glass' price is usually spot-on.

... and good luck with finding your FL2!

Post #103305 25th May 2011 9:57 pm
moocow

United Kingdom 

Hiya Natwest

Looks like I was right - here's what Glass' Guide said for my car (and it doesn't include that my car has leather and other extras and is in a showroom condition) it also values the FL2 between £12,950-£15,500, but because of the high mileage I'm not surprised he's advertising it for £14,000. So I think I was right to wait to be honest ..... especially since he wouldn't drop the price or neg at all!

Ford Focus Titanium
1.6 Petrol 3-door Hatchback
4 Speed Automatic Front Wheel Drive
Year: 2008 58
Mileage: 14,000
Part-exchange Price:
Excellent condition:
£7940
Average condition:
£7430
Below average condition:
£6660

Post #103307 25th May 2011 10:10 pm
frankreid

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Sumatra Black

Stick to your guns.. but don't let your principles get in the way .....

Good for you

Frank R9 FLR

Post #103319 25th May 2011 10:59 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1